Author Topic: turkey question plus video  (Read 7003 times)

Offline urahoho

turkey question plus video
« Reply #-1 on: November 27, 2014, 12:47:24 PM »
So I am cooking my turkey in the SRG.  My temp thermostat says 165 right now and it has only been 1hr 10 mins.  The turkey was a 15.8 lbs.  I put in the thermostat that came with the SRG and it says 165-170 as well, but the pointy side is facing the letters and the butt side is facing the numbers.  Turkey is a beautiful color though.

Is my turkey done?

video of the turkey being made and results

« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 05:19:19 PM by urahoho »

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
Re: turkey question
« on: November 27, 2014, 01:14:38 PM »
Yes
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline urahoho

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 01:55:05 PM »
just an update, it wasn't done.

I took the turkey out and the breast was not done.  I had to flip it, the breast was on the bottom and it did not cook as fast as the top.

So now the bird is breast up legs down.

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 03:19:50 PM »
It's best to check a couple of places before you pull it out completely if possible

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 03:30:28 PM »
The breast and thighs do not cook at exactly the same speed - especially in a vertical type cooker. The breast needs 165F minimum ( Tho many cook to 160F - knowing it will rise another 5 degrees when resting under foil and a towel) But the thighs should be checked as a reference as well. At the joint where the thick meats the pelvic girdle on the carcass. A reading of 180F is good here.

Bear this in mind about "doneness". If you cut it and you see slightly red juices that are clear - the turkey is cooked. Tenthunter covered some good info about modern turkey breeds that the bones are weaker/more porous - so when you see a little redness around the bone - what you may be seeing ( given that you met the min. temps mentioned above ) are myoglobins from the marrow which have leached out ingot he meat a little. Not blood, and - again that color is not necessarily indicative of "under-cooked" - or "not-done".

By all means - please use the minimum food safe temp. which is provided by USDA to make certain you are keeping food safety first.!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 05:13:55 PM »
When I cook a turkey, I use my Maverick. Whichever way I put the Turkey in the SRG, I put one probe in the meat near the top and one in the meat near the bottom. That way I get multiple readings
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline urahoho

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 09:51:30 PM »
When I cook a turkey, I use my Maverick. Whichever way I put the Turkey in the SRG, I put one probe in the meat near the top and one in the meat near the bottom. That way I get multiple readings

doh....I am so dumb.  I have a maverick too.but I was only using one prob....next time...two

thanks for the tips though.  The turkey still turned out very nice.  I thought it was a bit dry but everyone else thought it was good.  learned that I need more fluids to inject into the turkey.

some areas of the breast was dry and some areas was really juicy

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 10:10:14 PM »
A Tommy ring will improve this issue. 
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline urahoho

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 12:32:16 PM »
A Tommy ring will improve this issue.

I did use a tommy ring for the turkey cook, but I didn't use the shelf rack to raise it up a little higher

Offline urahoho

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 01:07:53 PM »
here is what the turkey ended up looking like

Offline RAD

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 01:12:46 PM »
When I do turkey I don't use the basket. I use the holder designed for an oil fryer and suspend it with something like a crowbar.

Pic of the one I did last year in TBE. I did the same thing this year but I didn't get a pic and I also wasn't paying attention and let the handle on the edge of TBE and it melted somewhat.
Love to cook and eat

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 01:13:21 PM »
What did you rub the skin with?  Also, what was the IT when you pulled it out ??
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 04:20:34 PM »
When I do turkey I don't use the basket. I use the holder designed for an oil fryer and suspend it with something like a crowbar.

Pic of the one I did last year in TBE. I did the same thing this year but I didn't get a pic and I also wasn't paying attention and let the handle on the edge of TBE and it melted somewhat.

I used the same stand from my oil frying pot in my BEESR, mine fit inside the BEESR basket.   I put the half racks on the lowest rim of the basket and set the stand on them, this elevated the bird just above the dead zone near the bottom.  Placed the turkey breast down, legs up and it turned out to be the best turkey I have ever done in the BEESR. 
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline urahoho

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 05:16:24 PM »
What did you rub the skin with?  Also, what was the IT when you pulled it out ??

here is the rub I used (picked it up from costco).  I also linked the video of me making the turkey and results.   When I pulled it it was 165, in the thigh, but the breast was apparently 140.

Video link

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
Re: turkey question plus video
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 06:04:34 PM »
What others have said; I did my turkey on the SRG like Capt Jack did.  Use a good brine overnight and then your favorite injection, and you will not have dry turkey.  I did lid down on high for about 45 minutes with breast up.  Then lid up with the mesh screen lid for about 2 hours total until internal temps as mentioned for breast and thigh.  Never have had dry turkey and always good eats.