Author Topic: turkey question plus video  (Read 7004 times)

Offline urahoho

Re: turkey question plus video
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 06:18:51 PM »
I didn't want to bring due to laziness.  Next time I am going to inject the living crap out of it.  I think this time I put in way too little injections.  The areas where i didn't inject was drier and the areas where i injected was delicious.

Also I think the temp issues had me cook it longer than normal.  Next time I will experiment more.

Offline C.W.

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 12:13:08 PM »
Just yesterday I did a 14 lb'r in the big easy, gas SRG. I've always fried my birds so this was a first for me. I've been snooping around on here for tips and I gotta say you all helped out a lot.
I also made an Injection Marinade for the first time and it was a hit:
Melt 2 sticks unsalted butter in 1 can chicken broth, add 1 TBSP garlic powder, 1 tsp season all and 1 tsp poultry seasoning.
This makes a double batch and you have to stir it good right before you suck it up into your injector cause it'll separate fast. Then the bird got a nice rub down with a lil canola oil and plenty of Cajun seasoning.
So I started out smoking on low with some apple for 40 minutes and that was it for the smoke cause the Wife didn't want it too smoky "no such thing" right.. After an hour I tented the breast and cracked the lid about an inch and a half and roasted on high for about another hour. then removed the foil and back on low with the lid still propped up for the remaining 50 minutes. Total cook time just about 3 hours at 38* outside temp. Breast at 170* and thigh at 160*
Beautiful color. Super juicy inside, nice mild apple flavor and awesome crispy skin. I'll never fry again.
Only one wtf moment of panic when the breast went from 89* to 399* in 15 minutes, then I tossed my probe in the trash and went low tech thermo and all was well again.

[attachments deleted after 6 months]
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 12:24:31 PM by C.W. »

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2014, 01:29:55 PM »
Great looking turkey C.W.  I loved to deep fry turkey as well, but gave it up two years ago when I got my BEESR, I'll probably never fry a turkey again after the results I get in the BEESR.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline MoHuka

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 03:22:56 PM »
I did a 20-pounder last year and discovered the need to rotate the turkey at least once during the cook and there is at least one cold spot..other than that the SRG does a wonderful job on a big bird..
Lead a good life and treat your fellow man as you wish to be treated and the attendance at your funeral will be largely dependent on the weather
---------------------------
KCBS CBJ
Bradley 6-rack with PID and 2-element mod
REC TEC
SRG with Tommy Ring
Weber Genesis with Grill Grates
ANOVA Sous Vide

Offline Pappymn

turkey question plus video
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 03:56:51 PM »
Beautiful looking bird
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 04:39:29 PM »
Nice looking bird
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 06:53:20 PM »
I use a holder designed for a deep fryer, but have been putting it on the rack.   Think I'll try suspending it with a piece of rebar I have that is just wider than the opening.    ALSO, always rotate boids at least three times during cook.   Sure seems to make a difference.   Guess at total time needed to cook, divide by three and rotate one third at the proper time.  Never comes out exactly perfect, but hey, its fairly close.   

Offline C.W.

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2014, 11:50:09 AM »
Thank you gents.. This bird was just a trial run, I'm not gonna pat myself on the back till I pull off a successful 23 lb bird xmas eve, with a house full of hungry relatives chomping at the bit.
I did notice a hot spot coming off the wood box the first batch of wings I did so I know what you mean about rotating. Had a couple Extra crispy on that side.

Offline urahoho

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2014, 02:39:10 PM »
Will the TBE mesh screen fit the new srg? I want one but not sure if it will fit.

Offline C.W.

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2014, 04:27:08 PM »
Don't know. I've wondered if the SRG grill would have a similar effect as a mesh screen.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2014, 06:10:00 PM »
Will the TBE mesh screen fit the new srg? I want one but not sure if it will fit.

I don't think so. The SRG is larger inside.

Great looking yard bird!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2014, 11:38:53 AM »
I bought my mesh lid from Charbroil a few years ago; it is about 14+ inches in diameter.  I think it was a lid for Big Easy's sold in Canada?  I do not see it offered on the Charbroil website now.  Maybe Tommy has more information on this lid.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2014, 10:39:47 PM »
The mesh lid you need would be the "Costco" grey Big Easy.  This unit was a 25 lb unit built only for Costco a few years back and was very limited in numbers.  I was able to get one of those lids before they dropped the cooker.

If you like I will try to get you the part number and maybe you will be able to order one

But to be honest, the SRG really does not need that mesh lid

Here is the Costco Big Easy.  Same chamber size as an SRG but without the lid

[attachments deleted after 6 months]
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 04:12:09 PM by TMB »
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline urahoho

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2014, 09:37:36 PM »
your saying the srg doesn't really need the mesh lid because you normally cook with it closed? or you don't see a performance difference between open with mesh and w/o mesh

The mesh lid you need would be the "Costco" grey Big Easy.  This unit was a 25 lb unit built only for Costco a few years back and was very limited in numbers.  I was able to get one of those lids before they dropped the cooker.

If you like I will try to get you the part number and maybe you will be able to order one

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2014, 11:26:48 PM »
your saying the srg doesn't really need the mesh lid because you normally cook with it closed? or you don't see a performance difference between open with mesh and w/o mesh

What I mean is the SRG has the lid so when cooking just close it till the meat is close to being done then open it.
When I cook with the Big Easy I left the lid on til the meat was close to being done then I would remove it to finish. 

The lid does help reflect the infrared back down into the chamber and the lid on the SRG does the same thing. 

According to CharBroil the mesh lid is there only to keep leaves and debris  out of the chamber.   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker