Author Topic: Cherry Smoked Chicken, Potatoes and Appetizers  (Read 3493 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Cherry Smoked Chicken, Potatoes and Appetizers
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 03:50:05 PM »
HOS - that looks excellent - ALL of it -  Rookie question here - what is the purpose of the Baking Powder on the chicken?

I had read an article on cooks.com or cooks country kitchen, can't remember which that stated that the combination of kosher salt
and baking powder will draw the moisture out of the skin and help it to crisp up.  They tested it on turkey so I had tested it before on chicken, but
didn't leave it on quite as long as this time. It kinda worked the first time, but this time it did the trick. Not only did it pull the moisture out of the skin
it seemed to add lots of moisture to the chicken itself.  This was so juicy I thought that my Grid Iron had turned into a deep fryer. Give it a shot!  ;)

Sounds like an excellent idea - Thanks!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 06:15:35 PM »
Actually it was from a video I saw on America's Test Kitchen.  But I think all 3 sites are tied together so am not really losing my mind completely.. ;)  YET..  8)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 06:53:15 PM »
Actually it was from a video I saw on America's Test Kitchen.  But I think all 3 sites are tied together so am not really losing my mind completely.. ;)  YET..  8)

Relax... it'll go soon....  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2015, 03:08:45 PM »
HOS - that looks excellent - ALL of it -  Rookie question here - what is the purpose of the Baking Powder on the chicken?

I had read an article on cooks.com or cooks country kitchen, can't remember which that stated that the combination of kosher salt
and baking powder will draw the moisture out of the skin and help it to crisp up.  They tested it on turkey so I had tested it before on chicken, but
didn't leave it on quite as long as this time. It kinda worked the first time, but this time it did the trick. Not only did it pull the moisture out of the skin
it seemed to add lots of moisture to the chicken itself.  This was so juicy I thought that my Grid Iron had turned into a deep fryer. Give it a shot!  ;)

Thanks for the reply!  Definately going to try that.  Might be good for wings on the smoker too????
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2015, 01:30:54 PM »
Great HOS!!! I need to try your BP on the chicken!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle