Author Topic: Here Is Another List - RIBS  (Read 41785 times)

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Here Is Another List - RIBS
« Reply #-1 on: September 07, 2015, 09:24:41 AM »
I saw this list this morning.  I have only eaten at one, the Pit in Raleigh, NC.  They wouldn't make my list.  In fact, I didn't see any ribs that looked close to Sparky's ribs.  Probably some hack writer who doesn't know good bones. 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/america’s-35-best-ribs-2015/ss-BBm9LUt

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Here Is Another List - RIBS
« on: September 07, 2015, 09:34:42 AM »
The problem with this list is that it seams more based on the overall BBQ experience at many of the Texas places than on the quality of the ribs.  With the exception of the beef rib at Louie Mueller Barbecue, I think that the ribs are the weakest offering at most of the TX places listed (especially Pecan Lodge where I think they are awful).  I have been to a number of the non-TX locations as well, and putting Corky's on any list pretty much makes it null and void.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Hub

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 10:27:43 AM »
People love to read lists for some reason.  Remember the "Book of Lists" years ago?  Nowadays, just about any writer who isn't inspired by a concept or an idea can fall back on creating one whether he or she has any credentials or basis for it whatsoever.  It is possible to find pretty decent ribs in restaurants if one looks long and hard enough.  But, for those of us on this forum, we know we're far better off rolling our own  ::)

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 12:56:38 PM »
The Salt Lick would make my short list.

Well, them and Backyard Jack's BBQ in Byron. 

(but what do I know?)
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 01:54:12 PM »
Mama would have figured The Sizzler would be at the head of the list  ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 01:54:16 PM »
A few observations...
  • First, I haven't been to any of these places - my loss...
  • Second, My favorite local place - Rudolf's in MPLS - wasn't on the list
  • Third, I am certain that the ribs at Backyard Jack's place or Sparky's would beat ANY of these!
  • Finally, I didn't know Pappy had a place in St Louis and wonder when I will get an invite???
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 02:55:16 PM »
 You know , I really think the ribs from most of our members would be better than most restaurants. I am typically disappointed at rib places.
Some pulled pork is OK and beef as well. But ribs just have to be done right. I am not picky about fall off the bone or a little tug and whatever else. The taste however needs that certain something.  The sauce can make or break ribs for me quick too.  I think I prefer dry rubs with sauce on the side. I can do what I want that way.
  I must be extra fond of bbq brisket because I have several places I enjoy getting it from. 
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Pappymn

Here Is Another List - RIBS
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 03:26:03 PM »

A few observations...
  • First, I haven't been to any of these places - my loss...
  • Second, My favorite local place - Rudolf's in MPLS - wasn't on the list
  • Third, I am certain that the ribs at Backyard Jack's place or Sparky's would beat ANY of these!
  • Finally, I didn't know Pappy had a place in St Louis and wonder when I will get an invite???

I've been to Pappy's and have a t-shirt to prove it. It is very good
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 04:20:16 PM »
People love to read lists for some reason.  Remember the "Book of Lists" years ago?  Nowadays, just about any writer who isn't inspired by a concept or an idea can fall back on creating one whether he or she has any credentials or basis for it whatsoever.  It is possible to find pretty decent ribs in restaurants if one looks long and hard enough.  But, for those of us on this forum, we know we're far better off rolling our own  ::)

Hub
I have several book of lists..but Old Dave's ribs and Mike's (HOS) beef ribs did it for me.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron