Author Topic: Turkey in an SRG?  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Isaac-1

Turkey in an SRG?
« Reply #-1 on: November 23, 2015, 09:42:59 PM »
This may be a stupid question, but I can't find an answer to this one anywhere.

I owned a The Big Easy for several years and it died last Christmas (valve went bad and started leaking), so I upgraded to an SRG earlier this year (the style with the wood chip holder) and am getting ready to cook our first turkey in it this week, and need to know how high to set the valve on the SRG for the flames since the Big easy just had the on/off valve that was not really adjustable?

Also any other tips on the difference in cooking an SRG vs a TBE?

thanks

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Turkey in an SRG?
« on: November 24, 2015, 10:20:43 AM »
This may be a stupid question, but I can't find an answer to this one anywhere.

I owned a The Big Easy for several years and it died last Christmas (valve went bad and started leaking), so I upgraded to an SRG earlier this year (the style with the wood chip holder) and am getting ready to cook our first turkey in it this week, and need to know how high to set the valve on the SRG for the flames since the Big easy just had the on/off valve that was not really adjustable?

Also any other tips on the difference in cooking an SRG vs a TBE?

thanks
Hi, yes there is some things different and some the same

With the SRG you can cook HIGH or LOW depends on how you want the bird to finish and how much time you have.

I myself cook HIGH setting for almost all my turkey cooks but been known to slow it down to the LOW setting and burn up lots of pellets to add smoke flavor.

When cooking a turkey I like lid down temp set to HIGH and watch IT of the thighs when it hits 165 I turn the SRG off and let the bird sit (lid open) in the chamber for a few min before removing.

Low setting to me turns out good but more of a roasted bird with smoke not the crispy fried skin like HIGH setting 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION