Author Topic: Fat Cap on Boston Butt  (Read 42844 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Fat Cap on Boston Butt
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 09:54:23 PM »
Hmmm. then it may b where I am...Let's see...I live in a temperate rain forest...80 plus inches of rain per year. The second highest rainfall in any county in the U.S. :D :D :D
Another example of the moisture retention of the Smokin Tex, Masterbuilt and Bradleys that I have owned: It is not possible for me to obtain a "bite-thru" skin on chicken. It is rubbery. Tastes great, never dry....but not ideal texture either. On the pellet grill, or on charcoal, or stick burner - no problem.
So - when we examine the reason for this - you kind of are forced to look at the tiny air intake, and small exhaust hole in these units, and reason that if you can't push much air thru them ( part of their ability to hold heat is low air-flow, i.e. - b.t.u. containment via low air exchange rate.
So - what else do we get from low air thru-put? Moisture retention! It's a good thing - right? Except when I want bark that I consider REAL bark, which requires a drier/higher air thru-put.....and - I have not gotten it from any of my electric cabinet smokers. It is just me....maybe ;) :D :D :D :D

T
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 10:24:58 PM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2012, 12:30:18 AM »
i trim my fat cap off.  bark, bark, bark.   ;)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 09:43:20 AM »
I leave the fat cap on.
I know this is not good for you , but I foil pan mine about 160F & when I pull or chunk I make sure all the fat in the bottom of the pan gets mixed in.
I don't tell my Dr. About this recipe ::)
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2012, 02:05:20 PM »
I leave the fat cap on and up. I do however cut crisscross pattern on the top through the fat cap

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 01:17:22 PM by Tenpoint5 »
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline Over Dunn

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2012, 05:34:06 PM »
Hot and fast butts, I take it off and cook in a pan. (350), uncovered and covered. Brisket in a pellet smoker, fat cap down, always. In a UDS, back and forth. I guess I'm on the fence!  ???

OD
GMG DANIEL BOONE
GMG JIM BOWIE
CharBroil CB500X
UDS
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2012, 09:41:01 PM »
I trim my fat cap then score it.  Remember Im cooking with infrared so time for the cap to melt away is not there.  If I were smoking in a real smoker I would score the cap only nd let the fat melt off
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline BBQKit

• Miners Mix
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2012, 02:39:15 PM »
Actually, both.  I start with it up, heavily rubbed and turn it over about an hour into it.  Like the bark, baby!
If it didn't exist in 1850, it ain't in here!

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2013, 08:34:21 AM »
For at least 30 yrs. I have done any roast with a fat cap, fat cap up, thinking I was basting the meat. They discussed this on another forum and there was an article that scientifically proved that was not so the fat just renders and rolls down the side. It also showed where fat cap down insulated the bottom from more direct heat and kept meat juices in. I now do fat cap down and I think it is better. I don't usually trim butts and I usually wrap in foil at 150 deg IT to get thru the stall faster. I usually put the fat cap up when I wrap. This way also gives me a softer bark, I am not a great fan of real crispy bark in my pulled pork. If you like the crispy bark I would say to not wrap. I pull the pork in strands about finger size and then do a coarse chop. Just my thoughts on this, whatever works for you is the way to go. Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2013, 08:59:04 AM »
It depends on how much fats cap there is for me. I trim some of it and then scored the meat to add more flavor. I also put the fat cap in a 1/4 sheet pan with chopped up onions and add beer underneath the meat for moisture. Also add gahhlick and a couple of jalapenos. This can or can not be added in later. I add them. I usually use a dark beer too.  This is my own recipe. Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Hub

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2013, 09:37:56 AM »
I've become a huge proponent of "fat side down" on briskets but for butts I've tried every direction and found it didn't make a difference via my approach.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2013, 10:23:11 PM »
As far as logic goes,  muebe and Smokin Don are on the right track in my opinion.  I read the same or a similiar article as Smokin Don and it made a lot of sense.  As muebe says it helps to keep the meat of the butt form stickin.  I do trim some of the fat from the cap and don't foil in my MES. An additional advantage of the fat down is/when you baste the baste goes onto the bare meet and not onto the fat cap.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 04:43:19 PM »
[T]here was an article that scientifically proved that was not so the fat just renders and rolls down the side. It also showed where fat cap down insulated the bottom from more direct heat and kept meat juices in.

Yup.  Also, a highly regarded competitive BBQer wrote that he doesn't see the point in rubbing a butt and then allowing the rendered fat to wash the rub away.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 04:49:13 PM »
Well this weekend when I smoked my first butt in my TCS I went cap down instead of up like I normaly would.  All good found no difference in it. Guess  it does not matter  after all

[attachment deleted by admin]
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION