Author Topic: Recipe link  (Read 29486 times)

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
Recipe link
« Reply #-1 on: January 07, 2016, 01:59:01 PM »
  Just found this looking for an old style "No Rue" Gumbo recipe. (More on that later if I find what I'm looking for). Anyway there is a bunch of cool old recipes on this link.
I really enjoy cooking from these old recipes. Where a cup full is a "coffee cup" and spoons are "desert spoons" or a palm full... are the correct measurements...

http://www2.latech.edu/~bmagee/louisiana_anthology/texts/eustis/eustis--cooking_in_old_creole_days.html#CcreoleN174
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
Re: Recipe link
« on: January 07, 2016, 03:09:16 PM »
Thank You Sir ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 04:41:12 PM »
A lot of very good ideas! Thank you!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 05:11:34 PM »
WOW, what a find..I looked thru and some really good looking recipe in there..I might go Creole for a while..thanks for the link, I have it in a file already.. Thanks Terry.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Bayoucajun

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 05:35:44 PM »
You really can not make gumbo without a roux. You are probably looking for a oil less recipe.

Offline muralboy

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 05:37:43 PM »
Very cool link - thanks for posting
Keep Calm And Smoke On

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 06:57:05 PM »
You really can not make gumbo without a roux. You are probably looking for a oil less recipe.
All I know for sure is that my mom married a guy from Opelousas. His family dates back several generations there. Pre WW2 at least..
 He made gumbo that did not use roux.  Or not much...?...My aunt lives in Alexandria and has known the Carrolls for about 50 years now and she told me they have always made this gumbo. They never used seafood, only chicken and anduille. There may have been a lite roux in it....I'm waiting for my Aunt to see if she has his recipe. He and my mom passed away and I don't have access to his family now.

My whole life I never saw gumbo like this before Paul though. Around here gumbo was always loaded with seafood and had a heavy roux. Some folks leave the shells on the crabs as well. They are cleaned though...
 I'm waiting for my Aunt to see if she has the recipe...if she does I'm going to make some and I'll post it then.
Terry "Way down in Alabama"