Author Topic: Lodge Heat-Treated Cookware?  (Read 29043 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Lodge Heat-Treated Cookware?
« Reply #-1 on: March 09, 2016, 01:16:08 AM »
Mar 09 2016

Has anyone seen or used any of the new Lodge Heat Treated cookware? I was trying to find some small skillets to us on my Lodge Hibachi and ran acroos it on Lodge's site. They don't offer many items but say the heat-treated ware will not rust and is dish washer safe.

I bought a 6.5 inch skillet, an 8 inch skillet and a small round serving dish from Amazon. When I got them the round serving dish had a label that said heat-treated. I am in the process of giving them 3 coats of seasoning.

I have a nice small collection of cast iron and never had a problem with rust but I use them and take care of them. I would think this might be of interest to campers that are out and don't have the conveniences to take care of them like you would at home.

I visited one of my favorite sites for cast iron, The Culinary Fanatic, Jeffery B. Rogers and he had a video on the heat-treated Lodge Skillets. It looks like the heat-treated skillets were made exclussively for Macy's. I checked it out and they have a 9 inch skillet for $40 and a 11 inch for $50.

Here is a link to a video on Lodge's Heat-treated skillets that is interesting!

Smokin Don

Update: Here are the 3 pieces I just bought. First pic was before seasoning and the second was after 2 seasonings. The round dish with ears is the heat-treated one.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 11:22:52 AM by Smokin Don »
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: Lodge Heat-Treated Cookware?
« on: March 09, 2016, 03:24:22 AM »
Very interesting. It almost makes me wish I needed some new cast ironware.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 09:46:26 AM »
Don, have you tried cooking with them yet? I have a ton of cast iron and my new deBuyers pans..not sure about them on a grill tho. I have been using the ceramic coated stuff on the grill and it works great. I use one of those stainless steel thingi's to clean and  no problem. I wash my cast iron with hot water and put over the fire again to dry and then season when I'm done,  never had any problems. I do like the saute pan one.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 11:38:48 AM »
Cliff you can always use more CI :) Pam I haven't cooked with them yet. Next time I use the Hibachi will try to do a side in the heat-treated serving bowl. I would have thought Lodge would have tried the heat-treat on the camping CI like the Dutch ovens and the Hibachi would be great if it didn't rust. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 08:57:51 PM »
I am thinking about breaking out one of my air power tools and sanding the bottom of some C.I. pans I have....I have an old Griswold that is slick finished on the cooking surface ( interior) and it makes it a pleasure to use. Nothing needs much oil - yet nothing sticks....It is great.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 09:52:24 AM »
Not being able to rust sounds good to me...
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 11:00:08 AM »
Interesting, I wish Lodge was cast as smooth as they used to be. It takes a while to get a nice smooth finish on the newer ones. As info, most of that nice old cast iron you see in antique stores and at flea markets that is just marked "USA" on the bottom is Lodge, they did not start putting the Lodge name on the bottom until the 90"s.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 12:25:56 AM »
As info, most of that nice old cast iron you see in antique stores and at flea markets that is just marked "USA" on the bottom is Lodge, they did not start putting the Lodge name on the bottom until the 90"s.

Good to know... thanks, Ken!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 12:32:01 AM »
Don, have you tried cooking with them yet? I have a ton of cast iron and my new deBuyers pans..not sure about them on a grill tho. I have been using the ceramic coated stuff on the grill and it works great. I use one of those stainless steel thingi's to clean and  no problem. I wash my cast iron with hot water and put over the fire again to dry and then season when I'm done,  never had any problems. I do like the saute pan one.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

I love my DeBuyers... tend to use them more than anything else (including a boatload of CI!) I haven't tried them on the grill yet, but have used on the stove and in the oven... I am thinking they should be ok... but, worry about risking them. I like the stainless steel chainmail cleaner for almost everything. I usually use the CI Conditioner from Camp Chef, seems to work well for me.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2016, 05:39:29 AM »

I love my DeBuyers... tend to use them more than anything else (including a boatload of CI!) I haven't tried them on the grill yet, but have used on the stove and in the oven... I am thinking they should be ok... but, worry about risking them. I like the stainless steel chainmail cleaner for almost everything. I usually use the CI Conditioner from Camp Chef, seems to work well for me.
I love my de Buyers too..still not sure about putting them on a grill tho..will wait for that one.  I season my CI and deBuyer with coconut oil, seasond DB's with it and it's perfect for me..I keep it at the lake to..we have a 20" steel pan the we cook over the open fire and I use that and it's just like the deBuyers. It's stored on a porch hanging from the rafters and in perfect shape over 30 years old now.     .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron