Author Topic: Eating Pink Chicken?  (Read 25000 times)

Offline tailfeathers

• To blessed to be distressed!
Re: Eating Pink Chicken?
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 11:21:08 PM »
I eat what my thermapen tells me is safe
What he said. And flame color is the fastest, dont ever let anyone tell you otherwise!! ;)
Bradley 6 rack digital w/ 900w mod
auber pid
Rec Tec 680
Ducane gasser
weber kettles
Anova precision SV
Kitchenaide mixer/chef's choice grinder
LEM stuffer
Vacmaster VP112 chamber sealer
A-maze-n Qmatz/tubes
Cabela's 10" slicer
Cook-Air grill
Cabela's 80L dehydrator

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2016, 02:05:42 AM »
I eat what my thermapen tells me is safe
What he said. And flame color is the fastest, dont ever let anyone tell you otherwise!! ;)
My PINK and GREEN thermapens like 170º for chickens.  and they are the fastest..just sayin.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline KyNola

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2016, 10:13:56 AM »
Here's a tip for determining if the pink you are seeing in chicken is smoke or under done chicken.  Take a white napkin, dab the pink area.  if the napkin comes back pink you have under done chicken.  Old BBQ judging trick.

Offline Ericd3043

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2016, 07:16:26 PM »
I had this discussion with the owners of the BBQ supply place.  I made a comment that I had some under cooked chicken wings at their last competition and it surprised them.  While I know it was under done (texture was wrong, too pink - not from smoke), they mentioned a couple of things that were done in a study about the "pink" chicken.

1)  You can cook the temp to 165 + degrees and still get pink.  As mentioned by others here, the only way to be sure is to take a temp on it. 

2)  The pink that occurs in some chicken is due to the way it is raised.  Most commercially raised chicken is done really fast and killed early.  The bones of the chicken do not harden enough and you can get some red / pink "juice" in the meat even if it is cooked to temp. 

3) You can cook til the juices run clear, but that does not mean it is done.  Temperature is the only way to be sure.

There was some more technical stuff, but really - I lost interest while trying not to show it.

For me, it depends on if I temp it when doing a cook.  Thicker chicken/ pork I will every time - too hard to tell.  Thinner pieces, I go by look and feel.  I know, I know - not the safest but I have gotten pretty good.

For steaks, I do the "feel" method.  If it is really soft, I keep cooking.  As it gets harder, the more done it is.  Personally, I like mine Med. rare - so I really cannot under cook them.  I have gone over, but usually not enough that it is inedible.  Funny things, I have "taught" my family what they like.  They get it Med - Med rare bat home.  It is to the point that my daughters will ask me how to have the steak cooked if we go out to eat!

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2016, 09:13:07 PM »
Here's what THEY said:

We’ve been trained as a society to treat pink poultry like anathema. Some cooks even go so far as to overcook chicken on purpose.

But what if I told you some pink poultry is safe to eat? Would you believe me?

Amazingly, it’s true.

When I spoke to Dr. Greg Blonder, a physicist and co-author of Meathead: The Science of Great Barbecue and Grilling, he explained why some pinkness will never fade. And if no amount of checking the chicken’s temperature will assuage your squeamishness, he offered some tips to avoiding pink poultry before you even bring it home from the store.

What Causes Cooked Meat to Turn Pink?

“The majority of chickens sold in stores today are between six to eight weeks old,” says Blonder. Young chickens have hollow bones that are thinner and more porous than their older brethren. When cooked, “the purple marrow—so colored due to the presence of myoglobin, a protein responsible for storing oxygen—leaks into the meat.”

This reaction, in effect, stains the bone; the color of the meat adjacent to it will not fade regardless of the temperature to which it's cooked.

What about pink flesh nearer the surface? Certain cooking techniques—especially ones that use lower cooking temperatures, such as smoking—exacerbate the pink meat reaction. That pink smoke ring that’s a telltale sign of good barbecue? Myoglobin again. In fact, you don’t even need smoke to achieve that smoke ring.

Why is My Chicken Bloody In the First Place?

Actually, it’s not. Blonder notes, “all commercially-sold chickens are drained of their blood during processing.”

The pink, watery liquid you’re seeing is just that: water. The moisture that seeps from the chicken while it’s waiting for you to buy it mixes with that old rascal myoglobin, causing the pink “juices” that you see pooling around the packaged bird—it's called myowater, FYI.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2016, 09:44:06 PM »
Good info Jack!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Ericd3043

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2016, 11:17:47 PM »
Jack - I have to laugh - that was probably what I was being told during the conversation!  Some of it was really familiar- thanks for the actual quote!