Author Topic: Where to post pictures of cooks  (Read 16530 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Where to post pictures of cooks
« Reply #-1 on: January 01, 2013, 11:58:01 AM »
I got to thinking the other day that I might or might not have been posting my cooks in the wrong section. I have always posted by the type of cooker I used on the cook. Maybe I should have posted in the meat-recipe section. If I grilled a steak, maybe it should have been posted in the red meat thread. If I did a butt, post it in the pork section. I figure if we get a new pit or use one we haven't used in a while or get a cool accessory for it or do a mod, we then post those pics in the appropriate type cooker section.  This way the pits get the spotlight and our cooks are posted by meat type in the meat-recipe section. It would be a big help to post the recipe as well if possible to go along with the cook pics!!

So since this is our forum and we use it daily, I propose this poll to see if we all want a possible change to our cook posting methods.

We can either leave things the way they are or we can post cooks and recipes in the meat-recipe section and post pictures of our beloved cookers in the cooker type section.

Remember our opinions and thoughts and votes count!!!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 12:00:07 PM by smokeasaurus »
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
Re: Where to post pictures of cooks
« on: January 01, 2013, 11:59:46 AM »
I usually post my cooks based on the protein... not the cooker. But that's just the way I do it.

Happy New Year!
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Where to post pictures of cooks
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 12:13:26 PM »
I'm all over the dam place when it comes to this. Lol. I've been posting my PBC cooks in the PBC section. Sometimes I'll post threads in the appropriate meat section. Then I'll go and post something in the pellet cooker section..... It's madness I tell ya!!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 12:16:27 PM »
I usually post my cooks based on the protein... not the cooker. But that's just the way I do it.

Happy New Year!

because I don't know any better. 
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline old sarge

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 12:17:08 PM »
I think it is useful in both places. 
1. When something turns out good, we like to see it and get the details of prep, rubs, cook time, etc. So that would be in the food area.

2. Many people, myself included, gravitate toward the smoker section relevant to the type smoker we use to see who has what, to learn, to help, and to see the finished product.

A little of this, a little of that. So maybe if the servers can handle it, both places are appropriate. Or put a teaser in one category and reference the other for details.

That is my newly minted 2013 nickels worth.
US Army 1970-1995
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber kettle
Ducane Meridian
Cookshack Amérique
Smokin-it 3D
Old Hickory Knives
Chefs Choice 665 Slicer
LEM MaxVac
LEM BigBite #8
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 12:59:05 PM »
I think it is useful in both places. 
1. When something turns out good, we like to see it and get the details of prep, rubs, cook time, etc. So that would be in the food area.

2. Many people, myself included, gravitate toward the smoker section relevant to the type smoker we use to see who has what, to learn, to help, and to see the finished product.

A little of this, a little of that. So maybe if the servers can handle it, both places are appropriate. Or put a teaser in one category and reference the other for details.

That is my newly minted 2013 nickels worth.

Just a thought....

Many times I have tried to find a great recipe that someone had in their cooking thread...but could never find it because I could not remember WHERE it was listed.
If we can - think about this option: No matter where you post the cook thread - or no matter where you read one that has a great recipe - PLEASE ask the thread author (or OP ;D) to post the recipe IN THE RECIPE SECTION AS WELL!!!!
This way, we can find good recipes, refer others to them, and cook more - search less!
We can and should all feel authorized as members to ask one another to do this. It is showing respect for their contribution, and helps insure that their great recipes don't get lost in the growing number of posts that we look forward to!

Good post Smoke!
T
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 01:00:43 PM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 01:04:11 PM »
Good Call Tee!!  I have seen many a great cook posted here where I would like to have the recipe but one wasn't posted. I know it takes a bit of time to type it out and I am guilty of this as well, but the more recipes we get posted will make our little home that much more informative. Lets face it, some of the cooks posted here deserve to have the recipe posted as well.

I think this is going to be one of our better polls..........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 01:20:55 PM »
You might even want to add the option to the poll to vote for a  - "post it wherever - but post a recipe in the recipes section for sure!"
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Hub

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 02:49:21 PM »
I agree with Tim -- show us a good cook anywhere it fits your style but when you're really proud of it or when it gets lots of positive comments, post it as a recipe in the right section too.  Nothing is more frustrating than looking for a recipe in some section other than recipes (a place for everything and everything in its place  ;D)

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 03:09:28 PM »
Also maybe when posting a recipe make that word "recipe" the first word in the subject line to make searching for recipes really easy.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 03:57:39 PM »
I agree with Tim -- show us a good cook anywhere it fits your style but when you're really proud of it or when it gets lots of positive comments, post it as a recipe in the right section too.  Nothing is more frustrating than looking for a recipe in some section other than recipes (a place for everything and everything in its place  ;D)

Hub

and that is why we have the Meat-Recipe section...that I have rarely posted in  ::)  that should be our "one stop shop" for recipes...the only question being...do we post the cook pictures there or do we post them in the cooker section...........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 08:57:07 AM »
Just my 2 cents worth. I like to see the cooks posted in the correct meat section, a lot easier to find later. I say if you have a recipe and or method you think is good post in the meat section. I think more people will see it there than if you post just in the cooker section. If you want to try someones recipe and you know your smoker or grill then you should be able to adapt it to your way of cooking. Photos help you know what the end product is suppose to look like. Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/