FORUM SPONSORS > Adrenaline Barbecue Co.

ABC/Maverick Remote Thermometer

(1/3) > >>

Big Dawg:
Just so happened one of my old 732s bit the dust, somehow the batteries got corroded in the sending unit.  So, I was starting to look at a replacement.  Honestly, I was looking at the Smoke from Thermoworks.  I'd seen the review from Dave at ABC and he had me sold on it.  But, d@mn if the day I was getting ready to order it, I get an email from Dave @ ABC advertising his new unit made in conjunction with Maverick.  It's a regular radio unit, not Bluetooth, but then I haven't Bluetoothed anything so that didn't bother me at all.  Plus, it was about $20 cheaper and has four probes.

It came in the mail today in the middle of my Pork Burnt Ends (PBE) cook, so I decided a quick little side by side comparison was in order.

It has a real heavy-duty feel to it, much more so that the 732 and it a bit larger.  It comes with two food probes and two grill probes.  But the grill probes, though shorter, are also pointed so I'm going to use them as food probes if needed.  The cables are a bit shorter than the Maverick ones (or at least the replacements that I've bought over the years) but I think they'll be fine.  The probes themselves are thinner as well.  The only problem this created was that the grill probe is not held firm in the holder that clamps into the grill grate, so be aware that it may fall out.

I didn't play wioth any of the alrms or setting, just a quick side-by-side challenge, here are the upper and lower grate temps on both:

Looks like a good deal so far, thanks Dave.

BD

HighOnSmoke:
I have the smoke and and a couple of 732's. Nothing wrong with any of them, except the range. So I also bit the bullet and purchased the new Maverick XR50. It is still in the box as I haven't cooked anything lately that would require temp monitoring. BUT, I will be testing it out shortly. What sold me on the XR50 was the 500 feet range compared to the others than usually max out at 300. I will see how well it performs.

Big Dawg:
This ABC unit is also supposed to have a 500' range.  That's not an issue for me since my grill is on the deck.

BD

TentHunteR:
That looks like a worthy upgrade!    I know I've been extremely happy with our 8+ year old Maverick 732. 

sparky:
Where did you get that from buddy?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version