Author Topic: Coulette/Picahna  (Read 476 times)

Offline akjeff

Coulette/Picahna
« Reply #-1 on: December 15, 2018, 11:05:36 PM »
Man, I think I just found my new favorite cut of meat! Was browsing the meat case at our local grocery store, and spot these cryovac 3 packs of Meyer Angus USDA Prime Beef Coulette(aka Picahna). Grabbed one, and thought we'd give it a try. Looked at a few ways to fix them, and went with a real simple one. S&P the meat, give a rub with sofrito(which is basically purred onion, garlic, and olive oil), and then grill until done to your liking. While it was only +8F when I fired up the 2 Star, the Lumberjack Char Hickory pellets still got the grill up to 465F in short order, and kept a 415F or more, throughout the cook. Just grilled and flipped until 125F internal, and plated with my wife's garlic/cauliflower mash. Incredible! Great beefy flavor, and filet mignon tender, and juicy. Every time I see this in the case, I'm buying it!

Jeff
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM

Offline Pappymn

Coulette/Picahna
« on: December 15, 2018, 11:15:11 PM »
You are a lucky person. No have it in Minnesota

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: Coulette/Picahna
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 08:45:22 AM »
Looks delicious!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 01:10:27 PM »
Looks simply fantastic and scrumptious Jeff - cooked to perfection!!  :P

Never heard of a Coulotte Roast so I looked it up.

" ... One of the more tender cuts from the sirloin, the Coulotte Roast is a large, boneless cut from the top of the sirloin cap. It is butchered with a small layer of fat still attached to it, which keeps the roast moist and flavorful. Roast it whole or slice it into smaller steaks against the grain.

Picanha is a cut of beef called sirloin cap in the United States that is popular in Brazil. In the United States, it is little known, but referred to as the rump cover, rump cap, or Coulotte. North American butchers generally divide it into other cuts like the rump, the round, and the loin.

The Sirloin is home to popular fabricated cuts but is first separated into the Top Sirloin Butt and Bottom Sirloin Butt. In the Top Sirlon you’ll find steaks great for grilling, while the Bottom Sirloin provides cuts like Tri-Tip and Sirloin Bavette, which are good for roasting or grilling.
..."

Going to keep my eyes out for a Culotte Roast. Maybe I can find one here in California at Cash & Carry or better yet ask my Butcher for one. I would be interested in knowing how steaks turn out if and when you grill one.

MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline rwalters

Coulette/Picahna
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 01:27:59 PM »
YUM!!! Nicely done :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline akjeff

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 01:48:45 PM »
Thanks guys, and yes Pete, I'll post another if/when I try steaking one. I was afraid cutting it in steaks would dry it out, but as juicy as it was whole, I don't think it will be a problem. They're like scaled down tri tips, but more tender.

Jeff
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM