Author Topic: Who owns a pellet smoker/grill  (Read 34114 times)

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: Who owns a pellet smoker/grill
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2013, 03:35:41 PM »

great space.  i think it needs to be bigger.  how are 20 of us going to fit under that drinking beer and chairs?  lol.... i'm coming buddy.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline knucklehead

• Atascocita, TX
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2013, 10:50:50 AM »
I own a 2 year old Traeger 07E and I have become adept as a part swapper as I have had to replace the barrel, wheels, chimney cap, and hot rod.  I currently have a warranty claim in on the barrel again and one of the legs due to rust.  It does cook pretty well though.
Knucklehead

PG 500
18" WSM
22" Weber OTP
22" Weber OTS
Exes
Traeger 07E

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2013, 10:59:34 AM »
As a newbie to the pellet world and researching all the Mfg's out there, I find it kind of sad that the Pioneer of the pellet grill world (Traeger) would be having such quality issues. I talked to a guy in Texas the other day that had one of the last North American made Traegers and he wouldn't part with it for the world. He is getting a Rec Tec to handle some bigger cooks but he said his Traeger is staying right on the patio.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2013, 11:23:13 AM »
Smoke I had a Traeger Junior and was very happy with it. For the price I paid it was a small investment being I was new to pellet cookers. I did make some great food on it and never had any problems with the igniter or grill. Of course I did make modifications on it but was a great value for it's price point. Ended up selling it after a year for half the cost of what I paid for it. Not a bad return IMHO.

Now I have a PTG. I mainly bought it for camping. After installing a PID I am happy with it and look forward to using it on my next camping trip.

Traegers are at a price point that is affordable. It allows the pellet grill market to open up. I would have never thought of spending what I did on my Memphis had I not had experience with a Traeger first. I am sure that there are many people out there who started out with a Traeger then upgraded to a quality American made unit like a MAK, Memphis or Yoder.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2013, 01:23:27 PM »

Now I have a PTG. I mainly bought it for camping. After installing a PID I am happy with it and look forward to using it on my next camping trip.

I am sure that there are many people out there who started out with a Traeger then upgraded to a quality American made unit like a MAK, Memphis or Yoder.

I was fortunate enough to start with a MAK 2 Star General and then downsized to a PTG modified with a PID and sitting on the portable stand for our camping needs and small meals for 2 at home ...  ;D  ;)   8)

MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline old sarge

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2013, 10:50:10 PM »
I have had my Traeger 07E about 3 yrs. now. Love it, used gas fired water smokers over 25 yrs before going to pellets. Love the ease of use and keep mine pretty clean. Besides smoking on mine I use it a lot as an oven and a slow cooker. I use it year around and would say I do about 75 percent of my cooking on it. Smokin Don

Love the set up.
US Army 1970-1995
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber kettle
Ducane Meridian
Cookshack Amérique
Smokin-it 3D
Old Hickory Knives
Chefs Choice 665 Slicer
LEM MaxVac
LEM BigBite #8
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Offline jimsbarbecue

« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2013, 01:07:27 AM »
We have two MAK 2 star grilles and purchase a Traeger Jr second hand from Muebe.

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2013, 01:22:43 PM »
I have recently purchased a Yoder YS480. I am a novice and neophyte with respect to pellet smoking. I have been smoking for four years and decided to escalate to see if I can improve the quality of the finished product. Everyone in the family enjoys the finished product and I really enjoy the process and the accolades.

Pellet acquisition is a quest. Right now, I have Academy Sports which sells B and B pellets made by BBQ Delight for $9.99 or $0.50 per pound. I am seeking alternatives which will drive that price down including shipping or simply a pick up cost.

Here's the wife helping to season the grill.

With kind regards,

Ed
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 07:46:23 PM by veryolddog »
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2013, 06:38:28 PM »
Hi Ed, I have followed your adventures on another forum. Glad to have ya over here.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline BAM1

« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2013, 06:56:59 PM »
Love my Traeger Texas model.  I got it in mid August last year and added a "Savannah Stoker" and front shelf.  The stoker keeps me +/- 5 degrees of set point.  Been looking at adding a GMG Daniel Boone to my arsenal.

BAMBQ KCBS BBQ Team
Traeger Texas model 075 w/Savannah Stoker
GMG Jim Bowie
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID and 900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Backwoods Fatboy
Charbroil SRG
Kamodo Big Joe
2 Gateway Drum smokers
KCBS CBJ

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2013, 09:01:19 PM »
I have a traeger lil tex that I stole when I was in NEPA land,

Got it from Nepas as he was downsizing actually
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 11:09:09 AM by Tenpoint5 »
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline IBCookin

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2013, 09:55:44 PM »
I have a GMG Daniel Boone. Got it two years ago when my 12 year old gasser (Ducane) finally bit the dust.
This is my first pellet grill and I really like the versatility of this thing. Have done everything from Boston Butt to Blueberry Cobbler and most things in-between.

I think I've done more on it in the last two years than I think the previous 12 on the gasser. Probably cook/smoke 4 to 5 times a week. Have a covered patio so weather isn't a problem.

Supreme Commander bought 400lbs of pure maple pellets as she said I shouldn't take the chance of running out. Thought she had lost it but have used approx 200lbs in the last 10 months, along with some GMG pellets and some Bear Mountain Pecan.

Everyone is good at something....
I just happen to be a good bad example.

GMG Daniel Boone Pellet Cooker

Offline Jables

Who owns a pellet smoker/grill
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2013, 11:53:22 PM »
I own a traeger 070. Hasn't been completely problem free, but I've had some fantastic food come off of it, and I use it all the time. I'm hoping 600 lbs of pellets lasts me this year.

Offline Scott6049

Who owns a pellet smoker/grill
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2013, 12:07:57 AM »
I own a MAK 2 Star and absolutely love it. It is built like a tank and the pellet boss has incredible temp control. Love the added feature of the cold smoker. It just has so many accessories and options that no other pellet grill/ smoker compares in my opinion. Like I said in my opinion......:)
MAK Grill 2 Star General #1366 **
Weber Charcoal Grill
Old Gasser
Whoo Hoo BBQ
Let's get SMOKING!

Offline perferd

« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2013, 06:21:10 PM »
Just purchased my first pellet smoker today...Rec Tec...
Semper Fi.
Once a Marine always a Marine
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don'thave that problem." President Regan