Author Topic: Plinkers?  (Read 9937 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Plinkers?
« Reply #-1 on: August 11, 2021, 02:04:12 PM »
Do any of you do any range time? I haven't been in quite some time, probably a couple of years. I know the price of ammo is going up but I've lately got the itch to go to my local state ran gun range as it's free as long as you have a fishing/hunting license. With all of the nuttiness in the world, I figured it might be good to stay in practice!

I ordered another firearm (like I needed it). It'll be at my local Pawn Shop up the road sometime Monday. They're the closest FFL dealer to me. I can't wait to try it out, it'll be my first and most likely last 9mm carbine. Should be a lot of fun!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Plinkers?
« on: August 11, 2021, 03:14:54 PM »
I love to when I can , just have not been in sometime  :-[

Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Oneof11

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2021, 03:48:20 PM »
I was just at the range a couple of weeks ago. Pistol range and skeet as well. Aside from the heat it was fun. I was nervous shooting the 12 gage because of my recent back surgery, but it went well.
I thought by now the ammo sitch was going to start getting better, but it has not.
Go Chiefs!!!!

Offline Lines

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2021, 04:55:18 PM »
We have a very nice range 4 minutes from the house. My wife and I were there 3 weeks ago to sight in an AR15 that I held back for myself when I closed our gun shop in Iowa. My eyes aren't like they used to be, but I kept a 3" 10 shot pattern at 100 yards. Good enough for me.
My wife has her own AR15, and loves to shoot. I also sighted in my Winchester 25-06 that I recently installed a Trijicon scope. 1", five shot group at 100 yards. Both of those rifles are capable of better accuracy than I can provide. I need to get the shotguns out again. Haven't shot any trap for over 2 years now. Only 1 sport better than shooting, that is fishing!

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2021, 05:38:15 PM »
I shoot weekly in a league (open sights, 9mm and larger).  It's run like a bowling league where low scoring teams are "spotted" 80% of the difference in the two teams' averages.  It's just a fun league (people with pistols), there aren't any race-guns and it's nothing like IDPA or USPSA shooting.  None of us will ever be Bianchi Cup shooters but we have a lot of fun.  And then we go eat.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2021, 06:07:39 PM »
Keep a flare gun & gas on hand...always wanted a flame thrower but those will do for now
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline RG

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2021, 06:20:01 PM »
I have a friend who is an ex Marine (or as he says, there is no EX!) and he competes in USPSA events and is GOOOOOD! He reloads his own ammo, keeps all his brass when he shoots. I was going to get into it years back but never did. With the cost of ammo these days, I'm thinking I might start!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2021, 08:34:20 PM »
I haven't shot in months.  When we sold our house, I had already resigned from my gun club.  Now that we live in the Raleigh area, I am looking forward to getting back in the shooting game.  I used to shoot metallic silhouette, but my back problems limited me in matches.  Now that I am closer to my son and grandson, I will get to shoot more often, and watch the two of them in competition.
My son is a sponsored three-gun shooter.  He has done really well when he competes.  He is also a range master at sanctioned three-gun events.  They pay him to go to different events from North Carolina to Florida, Georgia, Texas and who knows where else.  My grandson is just getting started in competitive shooting with his Dad.  I watched some video of his last match.  He finished 2nd in the Junior Division.  I will have to do some serious practicing to catch up to my grandson, let alone my son.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2021, 01:09:41 AM »
I have been trying to get out but life is getting in the way.  Hope to soon.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Salmonsmoker

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2021, 11:00:52 AM »
I have a friend who is an ex Marine (or as he says, there is no EX!) and he competes in USPSA events and is GOOOOOD! He reloads his own ammo, keeps all his brass when he shoots. I was going to get into it years back but never did. With the cost of ammo these days, I'm thinking I might start!

RG, I find reloading to be fascinating and therapeutic. There's a whole lot of intricacies, science, etc. involved. The supply of reloading bullets, brass, powder and primers are opening up just a tad. I have die sets for all of the calibers I own, and finally got some reloading brass(backordered for a few months) for an 80% 6.5 Grendel I'm building, so I'm good on brass also. For all of the retailers, items that are out of stock or backordered, I click on the "notify me when in stock" button. When it is available, I jump on it right away, and it eventually shows up. My on-hand supply isn't dire anymore, but it's taken a while to lay in a supply.

Offline Cajunate

• Eatin Louisiana
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2021, 06:02:34 AM »

9mm

Traeger Executive 125
Broil King Keg 4000
Primo Jr. Oval
 Cast Iron Jambalaya Pot
Various Outdoor Burners and Pots
Custom made Deep Fryer
Old Fashioned Open Pit Grill

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2021, 09:24:38 AM »
Keep a flare gun & gas on hand...always wanted a flame thrower but those will do for now

A local Gun store recently replenished it's stock of flame throwers.  Their initial stock sold out in a few days and folks were clamoring for more.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline RG

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2021, 11:31:43 AM »
I have been watching the UPS tracking on my gun, hoping it would arrive today but NOPE! It's going to be Monday, all because UPS doesn't do ground deliveries on Saturday like FedEx does :( I guess next weekend I'll get to go try it out. I'm looking forward to it!

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2021, 01:27:36 PM »

A local Gun store recently replenished it's stock of flame throwers.  Their initial stock sold out in a few days and folks were clamoring for more.

I knew I could count on you Jaxon.....with a Thrower you don't need to practice & buy Ammo......when in doubt just burn it out
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2021, 09:38:11 PM »
Spent Tuesday at the range. Plinking with one of my .300WMs.... Elk season is coming soon.

BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401