Author Topic: Do-It-Yourself PBC Dolly  (Read 9301 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Do-It-Yourself PBC Dolly
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 04:42:44 PM »
Seems strange as PBC videos show the PBC on the deck. Guess I better go look under my PBC!  ??? I was planning to re-purpose an old camera dolly under my PBC - good time to do it (as soon as I can get back on the deck - more snow this morning!)

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2013, 05:16:51 PM »
Guys - I sense some frustration in the tone of some of the posts here. Let's all agre that there are differing circumstances for all of us.

I am refraining from offering my own opinion/experience - because I do NOT want to contribute any fuel to anyone's argument . Pro or con.

So - if I am concerned about posting on this thread for fear of inciting further blood pressure issues for some ;D...how do you suppose that others feel?

Would it not be better if we could exchange information and ideas without ego and attitude attached?

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2013, 05:44:43 PM »
T2 - my blood pressure is fine as well  ;) I was not intending this to sound like a criticism - in fact I was about to post that I checked my deck and there is no issue - after several dozen cooks. I am sensitive to our sponsors as you are and if I felt there was a "problem" I would have contacted PBC (or any other supplier) directly, vs. a comment on the forum. My comments were simply to better understand the potential concern - I am sorry if that was not clear.

Cheers,

David
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2013, 06:15:48 PM »
While are still growing - and trying to find a "balance" - there will be moments where we all should look at our posts - before pushing the enter key ;D - and ask ourselves a couple of questions:

1. Am I offering information  to contribute to the discussion a manner that will not be taken as condescending, or a snarky retort to someone?

After all- we do this for fun and relaxation.....At least that is what I hope the common motivation is. There are plenty of other forums that seem to thrive on adversarial tempered threads. This is not that kind of place. Further - please bear in mind that if you look up and to the left on any page that you wish to respond to a threa, you may see that the thread is on a Site Sponsor's Forum Section.
So, we are sort of - in their showroom, or office - in sense. I know that if we recognize this, we would not embarrass LTBBQ by being argumentative in our Site SPonsors "house" ;)

2. Am I considering HOW I say it at least as important as WHAT I have to say.
It is easy to tie up a lot of emotion and ego in our love of cooking. Some could argue that one must have passion to be truly a good cook or chef. No argument from me there....But, we really need to just take a moment to consider that others have the same feelings. Try to leave the ego out of the discussion, and you will find that you will find your comments are better received, and respected more.

I bring this up - because of late we have had a couple of threads that have gone a bit negative. There is no need - and no enjoyment in that for other users of this site. So, if you derive a smug sense of satisfaction from smarmy jabs at others - consider this a formal request to stop it.
I think we all enjoy joking and teasing with one another and that can be healthy part of a discussion. But the difference between good natured fun and  the other outlined behaviors is clear to anyone.

So - I am asking all to consider what I am saying here as how we need to keep LTBBQ fun and friendly. I do not believe in treating adults like children, and I am not going to create a lot of rules.
We all know how to be nice and friendly.

T
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 06:30:59 PM by teesquare »
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2013, 07:49:26 PM »
I just finished eating my BB ribs cooked on my PBC resting on it's new dolly.  I don't have any actual temperature measurements, but I did place my hand underneath the PBC while it was cooking my dinner.  Barely any heat felt, and only around the edges of the cut-out hole in the dolly.  I believe I may be safe.  I will, however, continue to check it so I don't have any catastrophy in the future. 

Art

P.S.  I will be posting the cook shortly.
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Do-It-Yourself PBC Dolly
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 07:52:56 PM »
It's 6:52 and still no pics!! ;) ;D

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2013, 07:55:46 PM »
It's 6:52 and still no pics!! ;) ;D

Whatcha think Mike, Unicorn ribs?  :D ;D :D :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Re: Do-It-Yourself PBC Dolly (Baby Back Ribs Cooked On The PBC)
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2013, 08:13:15 PM »
OKAY, already!!  Here are the "proof pictures"!!  No UNICORNS here!!

I had a rack of BB’s in the freezer that needed to be cooked.  Seeing several really tempting rib-cooks lately, I developed a real taste for some of my own.  I also needed to check out the “flammability” of my newly constructed PBC Dolly.  As it turned out, they were both a rousing success.

The first picture shows the rub I used (Loveless Café Peach BBQ Rub) and the baby backs cut into two nice pieces.

Here they are “hanging around” with the hot coals in the bottom of the PBC.

Into the house for a little raspberry preserve spooned over the hot ribs and spread around.  I did this because the rub by itself had a little too much “bite” for my wife.  She loved them!  She likes the new PBC, too.  The raspberry preserve was actually a pleasant surprise to me, too.  It added another layer of flavor.  I’ll do this again.

BURP!!  I’m done!!

Now it is time to wait for the PBC to cool down so I can put it away later.  Maybe one more beer and relax in front of the TV with the wife.

Art

Boy, is this a tough crowd!!

MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Do-It-Yourself PBC Dolly
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 08:34:59 PM »
Those are some seriously good looking not unicorn ribs!! ;D

MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2013, 08:38:24 PM »
Quote from: ACW3
Into the house for a little raspberry preserve spooned over the hot ribs and spread around.  I did this because the rub by itself had a little too much “bite” for my wife.  She loved them!  The raspberry preserve was actually a pleasant surprise to me, too.

Hmmm...  It sure sounds good. You may be on to something here Art!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2013, 08:48:49 PM »
Mna - those look and sound great! What about the rub...Peachy enough? Spice level? Salt to sweet balance?
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2013, 09:01:47 PM »
Them are some good lookin ribs, never seen a nice buubly bark on a rib like that, had to put my glasses on and wow :) Nice job!!

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2013, 09:11:34 PM »
In answer to Mr. "T".  Nice peach flavor in the rub.  A little bite in the background due to the red pepper.  Wasn't particularly salty.  After adding the raspberry preserves, the sweetness ramped up, but not too much.  It pretty well offset the bite of the red pepper flakes.

Art

Writing about the flavor is making me hungry, again.  Next time I need to do more ribs!!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2013, 09:58:18 PM »
Those sound great! Looked pretty darn good too!

David
Member #

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2013, 01:08:07 AM »
ribs look fantastic buddy.  that rub as some peach to it?  i might have to get some.  love the raspberry on top.  great ribs my friend.  1st class.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66