Author Topic: The New Barbecue - WSJ article  (Read 2905 times)

Offline CaptJack

King of the OldSmokey

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
Re: The New Barbecue - WSJ article
« on: June 16, 2013, 02:09:08 AM »
That is a very interesting article by the New York Times. It looks like the Times just discovered the fact that a lot of restaurants are opening all over the country serving BBQ in areas where it was not before. I guess if the New York Times reports on BBQ, BBQ must be accepted.

Curious though about American food is being re-invented. I think that this style of cooking has been around for over 250 years.

Thanks for sharing this article.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 03:10:58 AM »
We had a thread on this article a couple of weeks ago (might have been on another forum).  All I remember is being underwhelmed by the graphics showing them slicing the flat with the grain, not knowing anything about burnt ends, and telling you to "slice off the top of the brisket (aka the cap)."  Terms like "point" or "deckle" and "flat" and how to separate them along the fat ribbon were apparently in the lesson they hadn't attended yet.  It was pretty obvious the author hadn't done his homework so I blew off the rest of the article.  Let me know if I missed anything important.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Hub

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 07:53:33 AM »
  It was pretty obvious the author hadn't done his homework so I blew off the rest of the article.  Let me know if I missed anything important.[/b][/color]

I agree, KH.  This is a "fru-fru que" treatment very typical of a New York writer being assigned to write filler.  The WSJ wouldn't tolerate this kind of fluff if the article were about a financial/business topic.  I'm not against creativity --trying new stuff -- but I am against writing what you don't know anything about.

Hub 
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 08:02:55 AM »
A SPECTER IS HAUNTING the barbecue world: the specter of stale smoke. Don't get me wrong—barbecue is our great American food, a high art attained through years of patient training by men as single-minded as samurai. But it has also become stagnant and so dogmatic that many pit masters haven't changed their recipes or routines in decades. Some shaking up is in order. And, at long last, it's happening. The New 'Cue is here.

I like the part a out being single-minded as samurai.

Now call me CDN San :D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 08:35:54 AM »
I think the positive take away is the popularity of BBQ. I prefer traditional BBQ - but, sometimes like to experiment with it - just like any other ingredient.

Look at it this way....redneck haute cuisine has "arrived"....otherwise you would not see it being screwed up by some of the big names out there :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 09:40:33 AM »
I think the positive take away is the popularity of BBQ. I prefer traditional BBQ - but, sometimes like to experiment with it - just like any other ingredient.

Look at it this way....redneck haute cuisine has "arrived"....otherwise you would not see it being screwed up by some of the big names out there :D

That is well said. I can see it now. There is a guy on the 52nd floor of a high rise using his stick burner for 15 hours smoking a brisket and sipping his martini.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline Hub

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 04:59:18 PM »
otherwise you would not see it being screwed up by some of the big names out there :D

Yep.  Saw Myron sweating in the sun Saturday, whilst sitting next to a New York interloper.  Filming Pitbastards.  Couldn't hear what they were talking about.  Assume it was new and creative uses for artichokes on thin-crust pizza with anchovy aioli.  Oh, give me the ol' time religion  ???

Hub
(creative, but not idiotic about it)
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 07:59:21 PM »

It certainly arrived yesterday!  Tee cooked up some fine goat to serve at the Brevard Farmer's Market.  The line was quite long.  Everyone wanted to taste it.  Tommy, you would have been proud of Tee. 

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Hub

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 06:36:59 AM »
Glad to hear that the goat was a success!

Hub
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC