Author Topic: propane tank explodes in truck...  (Read 1077 times)

Offline Susie-Que

propane tank explodes in truck...
« Reply #-1 on: April 22, 2012, 08:44:55 PM »
Ok...now I am scared of them again. :(

truck explosion

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
Re: propane tank explodes in truck...
« on: April 23, 2012, 07:03:49 AM »
OMG
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 08:39:17 AM »
I will stick with Kingsford!!  Sorry Hank......
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 10:34:25 AM »
Susie although propane can be dangerous this is a very rare case. This is why tanks need to be re-certified every 5 years. Always verify the stamped inspection date on the tank. Anyone who fills a tank is required to verify the tank is in compliance.

People need to pay attention to safety and know what to do when there is a leak. This guy made a huge mistake. More than likely he had a bedliner installed in that truck. The plastic will create and store static electricity as the air moves over it while driving. And propane is heavier than air so it just gathered in the truck bed creating a explosion when ignited. That is why the tailgate blew off.

The guy should have never attempted to touch a tank with a audible leak. He should have killed the motor and got anyone in the area away to a safe distance...then call 911. As long as there is no source of ignition the tank would have bled out in a couple of minutes.

When filling at a gas station always touch a metal object before filling up. People are killed are injured every day from fumes igniting due to static electricity. And do not get back in the car and sit down. The movement of your body on the car seat can create static.

I work in the natural gas industry and I never under estimate what it is capable of...
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Susie-Que

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 04:37:15 PM »
  The video was on tv this morning,  scary stuff.

For some reason I produce a lot of static.  I get sparked when others do not...maybe I shuffle or something.

Thanks for the advice, muebe.