Author Topic: What to do after this cook?  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Jaxon

What to do after this cook?
« Reply #-1 on: June 01, 2014, 05:45:10 PM »
Y'all...I'm all messed up.
I went out yesterday and pulled my Weber up onto the deck so it would be right out the back door.  It was MUCH BETTER than walking out to the back yard every time I wanted to check the grill.  Now I'm thinkin' I'd like to LEAVE it on the patio, but its legs are wobbly and it's hard to move it around out there without one of 'em slippin' out.
But here's what we did together yesterday...I had a 3 1/2 lb chuck roast to smoke and pull (gettin' to be a favorite cook).  I set up the Smokenator using hickory chunks...had a water pan underneath.  When it got to 250* I put chuckie in.  The Smokenator was flawless, holding the temp at 250* - 260* for over 6 hours.  I went out every hour or so and knocked the dust off the ashes and added a few briquettes and it kept on chuggin'.  When chuckie reached 180*, I sliced a couple of onions into 3 thick slices each and placed them in a foil pan ( I saw this on YouTube somewhere) and placed chuckie on top of them.  Then I poured a dark beer in and covered the pan tightly with foil (I had a thermometer in the meat).  I let the temp rise a bit and it took about another couple of hours for the temps to reach 210*.  After that, I let it coast for about 45 minutes more.  I'm not sure of the final temp, but when we took it out, the meat pulled very easily and tasted great.
Overall, it was a very good cook that took very little attention even though it was pretty much all day long.

Pics will follow this:

I have been thinking about a ceramic cooker (what a wide range) for a while.  Now, I am thinking that this Weber is really hitting the mark.  Do I need an egg-type?  What would I actually cook therein that I can't cook in the kettle?  I was at Lowes today and saw the Akorn for less than $300 (it is $299) and thought, "this MIGHT work...but what will I cook?"
When at look at the Performer, with the rolling table, self-starter, and charcoal bin, I'm thinkin' "this would look nice enough to leave on the patio."
I have been saving some money for one or the other - cannot justify both.
I know LA likes the Akorn (I like the PRICE) and some of y'all have other ceramics.  Is it a "specialty" grill or something we could use a lot?
I would really like to have the Primo Oval with indirect cooking system. 

Now, for the pics: note the "cloche" bread thanks to y'all...

[attachment deleted by admin]
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: What to do after this cook?
« on: June 01, 2014, 05:50:50 PM »
Jaxon,

Great cook - excellent looking food and pictures!

I am not an expert - never used an egg or ceramic cooker. One of my brothers swears by his. I have always found my Weber to be one of the most versatile grills I have ever found. I have the Performer with the gas lighting system - I love it. Every time I think about replacing it, I realize it does so many things... So, as I cull the herd, it is still one I will keep. (Along with the flat top :) )

FWIW - my 2 cents.

You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 05:55:18 PM »
I can't imagine you losing the flat top either.
<><

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 05:56:45 PM »
Jack,it looks really good but that bread is just over the top,thats a grand slam there.Man what a fine cook that was. ;)
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 06:06:23 PM »
Jaxon
That would be one of the finest loafs of bread i have seen come out of the cloche. I think you nailed it on that one.

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 06:15:31 PM »
Ah Grasshopper ::)
It's not so much what you need as what you want!
A performer is a great cooker........ But why get the same basic cooker you have?
Get the Kamado 8)
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline nylic76

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 06:21:28 PM »
That is some good looking  meat.  Can't give any advice on what to buy but will say you're doing very well with what you've got.
SRG
Big Easy
Weber Kettle
Traeger Junior
Broilmaster Gas & GrillGrates
12" A-MAZE-N Smoker Tube

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 06:48:39 PM »
Nice cook.  As for the ceramic, it will do everything you can do on a kettle with a little less maintenance for smoking.  I don't use my kettle for smoking very often, but if I needed to I would honestly consider the ceramic over it.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 06:52:36 PM »
Jaxon
That would be one of the finest loafs of bread i have seen come out of the cloche. I think you nailed it on that one.

After seein' some of the bread here - especially from the cloche - I got one for my bread-makin' wife.  She makes bread quite a bit but we just started using the cloche.  The first loaf was disaster because the cloche wasn't seasoned well and the bread stuck like glue.  With advice from this forum, w learned how to season and add corn meal.  This loaf was the result of that lesson.

Thanks...
<><

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 07:09:12 PM »
Jaxon

After seein' some of the bread here - especially from the cloche - I got one for my bread-makin' wife.  She makes bread quite a bit but we just started using the cloche.  The first loaf was disaster because the cloche wasn't seasoned well and the bread stuck like glue.  With advice from this forum, w learned how to season and add corn meal.  This loaf was the result of that lesson.

Thanks...

A beautiful loaf! Very nice.
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 07:43:42 PM »
Nice cook.  As for the ceramic, it will do everything you can do on a kettle with a little less maintenance for smoking.  I don't use my kettle for smoking very often, but if I needed to I would honestly consider the ceramic over it.

I agree...the ceramic - or Akorn ( an insulated cooker ) gives you more consistent temps over longer time periods. Is that worth the money? It is a personal choice. I think part of the decision for me would be self analysis: Am I the sort of person that enjoys tinkering with the fire, an moving stuff around on the grill - or do I prefer more hands off for the longest periods possible?

If you are the latter type....then - even better than the cookers you are looking at would be a pellet grill. ;) ;D I guess I would call it an objective based choice. What is the objective?

And - Jack that bread is a ...( wait for it ::) 8) )..."cloche call"...cloche to perfect! :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 07:54:51 PM »
oh my.......
Member #

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 08:05:03 PM »

I agree...the ceramic - or Akorn ( an insulated cooker ) gives you more consistent temps over longer time periods. Is that worth the money? It is a personal choice. I think part of the decision for me would be self analysis: Am I the sort of person that enjoys tinkering with the fire, an moving stuff around on the grill - or do I prefer more hands off for the longest periods possible?

If you are the latter type....then - even better than the cookers you are looking at would be a pellet grill. ;) ;D I guess I would call it an objective based choice. What is the objective?

And - Jack that bread is a ...( wait for it ::) 8) )..."cloche call"...cloche to perfect! :D

I definitely agree with tee here. Your Weber is great, but if you are looking for a set it and forget it type smoker or grill go with a pellet grill. You can see what I own by looking at my signature. And yes I do use every one of them. Each one has it's purpose at my place. I still am thinking of a Primo but like you I am not exactly sure exactly what I could cook on it that I can't cook on what I have. If I want to grill with charcoal I use the Performer. If I want more smoke I use my WSM. So really it is a personal decision on what is going to fit your needs and what exactly you want it to do.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 09:33:37 PM »
I can't help with your decision, but I have to agree with everyone else that is some great looking food and that loaf is amazing looking.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 09:52:07 PM »
The ceramic is going to use less charcoal, hold up to winter cooking, and give higher temperature grilling than the performer. I would go with the ceramic ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven