Author Topic: Sear & Side Burner?  (Read 16758 times)

Offline Northshore

Re: Sear & Side Burner?
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 02:05:39 PM »
I had grill with side burner and used it all the time.  Burned that grill up a couple of years ago , new grill no side burner so added camp chef two burner to collection. 
Used side burner, now camp chef, for cooking corn, bacon, deep frying anything, pressure cooker etc. 
would love a searing burner.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 02:08:43 PM »
Well...One thing this thread has revealed: We ALL use our grills in different ways. That is great to now and share. I see several ideas just from the discussion that may give rise to me using my side burner!

Good thread!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2014, 02:23:36 PM »
... Also the side burner can be used to get a charcoal starter started instead of using newspaper...

Never thought of that but sounds like a Helluva good idea (except for having to uncover two grills at the same time - but the lack of newspaper ash flying around probably makes it well worth the effort).

I use Weber lighter cubes to get my chimney going, no flying ash and far less of that ugly smoke that burning newspaper creates.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Fiery Kev

• Fiery food is the best food!
Re: Re: Sear & Side Burner?
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 03:59:41 PM »
Well...One thing this thread has revealed: We ALL use our grills in different ways. That is great to now and share. I see several ideas just from the discussion that may give rise to me using my side burner!

Good thread!

Indeed. Lots of great feedback. I never even thought of using a side burner to light charcoal in a chimney starter. That and having somewhere to fry outdoors may tip the scales LOL. Funny because when I made the post I figured if anything would sell me on splurging it'd be the sear burner.

Thanks everyone!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 04:04:58 PM by Fiery Kev »

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2014, 05:12:29 PM »
 I use my side burner pretty often. Keep the heat out of the house this time of year. Plus, with mainly just Kerry and I anything I'm cooking on it is small most of the time.
  I voted neutral on this because once I get more room I will add a couple burners and not need the grill burner.
 The grill burners are kind of weak in my opinion.  With poor control. 
As for sear I have a CB IR grill so it does that part.  And many times I sear on the Hibachi over wood and finish slow on the grill as the veggies finish.   
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Cinredman

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2014, 06:45:03 PM »
My Weber has a side burner and I frequently use it, especially during the summer when I don't want to heat the kitchen up.

Weber Silver
Weber Kettle
Big Easy SRG
Chef Camp Pellet (PG24LTD)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2014, 02:05:50 AM »
Agree,great discussion,learning a lot.Thank you.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2014, 08:33:57 AM »
Agree,great discussion,learning a lot.Thank you.
x2!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #