Author Topic: Wild Black Cherry  (Read 14349 times)

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
Wild Black Cherry
« Reply #-1 on: May 24, 2018, 01:46:01 PM »
  I just saw where GG is selling Black Cherry pellets.  Last week Kerry and I went down through the back of our property looking for huckleberries after I cleared some areas out.  We found a couple trees down there that we have since learned are Wild Black Cherry Trees.
 They are covered in berries right now. We picked some to taste and sure enough the taste just like their name...
The problem is they are very small and have more seed than meat. .
 I went back and trimmed them up some and cleared out around them good so they can grow. I am drying the limbs I trimmed to see what the smoke is like. 
 I wonder if the berries could be dried and used for smoke?  I know whole black pepper smokes pretty well,  Just a thought , anyone ever tried anything like this before?
 I'll have to take some pics to post when I get home...
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
Re: Wild Black Cherry
« on: May 25, 2018, 07:11:27 AM »
  I just saw where GG is selling Black Cherry pellets.  Last week Kerry and I went down through the back of our property looking for huckleberries after I cleared some areas out.  We found a couple trees down there that we have since learned are Wild Black Cherry Trees.
 They are covered in berries right now. We picked some to taste and sure enough the taste just like their name...
 I went back and trimmed them up some and cleared out around them good so they can grow. I am drying the limbs I trimmed to see what the smoke is like. 
 I wonder if the berries could be dried and used for smoke?  I know whole black pepper smokes pretty well,  Just a thought , anyone ever tried anything like this before?
 I'll have to take some pics to post when I get home...

I have a pellet stove up here in NH. When I moved up here 3 years ago, I looking into getting another pellet stove for my basement. When looking into them, I found out that some units are capable of burning pellets, chunked up dried corn cobs, and.......cherry pits. But that is for a fuel source, no first hand knowledge of smoking purposes.

"Cherry pits are an excellent alternative fuel source for heating your home. This little pit is the ideal choice for your pellet burning stove. The reason is simple. They are a very clean burn and they burn hotter than other biomass fuels.

Cherry Pits. Learn how cherry pits heat your home.
cherrypits.com/
"
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Cook-Air Little Red Corvette
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Classic Weber Kettle
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 05:51:37 PM »
I am not too far away in Dothan, Al. Let me know when to come down.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 06:09:47 PM »

Terry, that's exactly how wild cherries are;  small and more seed than fruit.  We have one in our back yard as well. 
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68