Author Topic: The Stall  (Read 13484 times)

Offline Hub

The Stall
« Reply #-1 on: September 03, 2018, 06:27:53 AM »
From time to time we get into discussions here about the "stall" that happens with big chunks of meat in the smoker -- the period of time when the cook seems to come to a halt and the internal temp of the meat just won't rise, seemingly forever.   Sometimes it happens and we get all lathered up because we didn't allow for it and have folks waiting to eat our handiwork and we're about to be embarrassed. 

There are lots of ways to minimize or avoid the stall and our discussions inevitably result in those being listed and further explained for general use and distribution of goodwill among lovers of smoky critter chunks.  Hey, that's why we're here!  :)

Now comes along the most scientific treatment of the phenomenon I've ever seen.  For those (like me, occasionally) who like to go a little too far under the hood and overthink to the max, here's some light reading:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/09/let-science-be-your-guide-for-the-perfect-labor-day-bbq/

Enjoy or ignore as you see fit.  Somehow or another, stall or no stall, we'll just keep on turning out great grub!

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Re: The Stall
« on: September 03, 2018, 08:29:57 AM »
As Artie Johnson used to say on Laugh In, "Very interesting!!"

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
Re: The Stall
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 07:14:36 PM »
good info
I don't mind the stall when doing an overnighter, the stall is a requirement actually so I can sleep in.   ::)

But if starting around 6 am I'll cook at a higher temp and even bump it up to push through the stall.  Can make a difference of six hours in the total time, hard to tell a difference in the finished product at least for me.  Never have foiled.

Above applies to pork butts only in my experience, not briskets.
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4