Author Topic: Any Weather Watchers out there?  (Read 738 times)

Offline Pappymn

Any Weather Watchers out there?
« Reply #-1 on: July 12, 2014, 04:11:04 PM »
When weather rolls in, you will always find me on the front porch for the show. We just had a storm this afternoon with sideways sheets of rain. Awesome!

Trying to get my kids, and my wife to not be so chicken is another matter ;D
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
Re: Any Weather Watchers out there?
« on: July 12, 2014, 04:22:27 PM »
93° F  here today. Have a portable AC in the bedroom only. I don't like heat at all >:(

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 05:07:14 PM »
Pappy, I've always been a storm watcher. And, as a softball coach and dad, have to do it on a regular basis. I have one daughter playing in Monticello and the other (I am coach) in Mound. We have been getting the sideways rain and wonderful lightning shows all day. We have NOT been getting much softball...  :'( :'( :'(
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 09:17:03 PM »
All we do out here is watch the mercury rise each day. ::)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline pz

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 02:11:22 AM »
If anyone is considering some kind of heating or air conditioning unit to replace what you now have, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Mitsubishi air source heat exchanger.  We have ceiling resistance heating which gobbles up tons of power in the winter and no air conditioning.

Out power provider was offering significant rebates to anyone who wanted to install one of these systems, so we had a guy come out to see what he could do.  Ended up purchasing a mid-range unit that allows the connection of two indoor heads that control the temperature.  The same head heats in the winter, and cools in the summer - it is almost absolutely silent both indoors and outside.  It holds the set temperature to within a degree of the set point.  It has been really hot here (nearing 100F), and the units hold the temperature perfectly, with no blower or any other kind of mechanical noise.

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 09:16:31 AM »
If anyone is considering some kind of heating or air conditioning unit to replace what you now have, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Mitsubishi air source heat exchanger.  We have ceiling resistance heating which gobbles up tons of power in the winter and no air conditioning.

Out power provider was offering significant rebates to anyone who wanted to install one of these systems, so we had a guy come out to see what he could do.  Ended up purchasing a mid-range unit that allows the connection of two indoor heads that control the temperature.  The same head heats in the winter, and cools in the summer - it is almost absolutely silent both indoors and outside.  It holds the set temperature to within a degree of the set point.  It has been really hot here (nearing 100F), and the units hold the temperature perfectly, with no blower or any other kind of mechanical noise.
Those Mitsubishi's are very dependable units, we use them at a lot of schools.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 10:03:31 AM »
I too like to sit outside and watch a flash flood. It is amazing when one rolls through and the amount of water that Mother Nature can dump down in a real short time span!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 10:19:09 AM »
I love to watch the raw power of a big storm.

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 11:38:40 AM »
 I'm with Pappy. Love to sit on the deck and watch lightning. Wife got knocked to her knees when young, when lightning hit a barn she was in. So I sit by myself.
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 03:14:30 PM »
I love to watch the raw power of a big storm.

As a kid, I had a fascination with big storms. This storm changed that. Twin funnels is something that I hope never to see again.

http://palmsundaytornadoes.blogspot.com/2011/02/truth-about-twins.html
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline tnjimbob

• I'm a grillin & smokin' fool.
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 01:05:05 PM »
I'm a weather junkie. Any time a storm rolls in, I watch online on a couple of different radar sites. One is provided by our local NOAA office, and it gives some very detailed information. I also like to watch them roll in from the porch and the picture window.
Rec Tec pellet grill
Traeger Lil' Tex Elite 07E
Weber WSM
Weber SS Performer
Weber OTG w/ rotisserie
Char Broil SRG
A-maze-n-tube smoker
Hyperfast Orange Thermapen