Author Topic: It's going to be okay  (Read 5845 times)

Offline GrillinBWCA

• Boundary Waters, Minnesota
It's going to be okay
« Reply #-1 on: July 16, 2014, 01:45:15 PM »
A couple of weeks ago, we found a dog online we were interested in adding to our family.  We exchanged extensive e mails with the foster who had her.  He had rescued her from a CL ad as she was about to be destroyed.  Everything sounded great.  We were excited!  We made the six hour drive to the Twin Cities to meet her.  And found she was very anti-social.  Luckily, the nasty, bloody bite my husband got from her has healed nicely.  We hated to do it, but because we have an elderly dog already and four cats to worry about besides, we had to pass on bringing her home.  She is in the care of a rescue now and we're very much hoping she can be rehabbed and eventually join a happy forever home.

We were so upset for a while that we gave up the idea of getting another dog for a few days, but eventually started looking online.  We had decided we were not willing to drive that far again though, making finding a dog more of a challenge since we live in a fairly remote area.  But last Friday I decided to start calling shelters.  And found someone we never expected to find, at least not this soon or this nearby.  I was in shock when they said they had a purebred who had just come into the shelter.  I went down the checklist of what we were looking for, and this doggy hit almost every one.  The main thing "wrong" was we would have preferred a female, but he's a boy.  We've never had a boy in 38 years of having dogs, but decided we wouldn't hold it against him.

We went to meet him at the shelter Saturday and he's everything they said and more.  We were with him two hours and he met or exceeded all of our hopes and expectations, at least those that can be tested without actually bringing him home.  We decided we'd take him!  He was so new to the shelter he had to have his vet check and some other things done, so we couldn't bring him home Saturday.  But tomorrow is the day!  I'm sure that will be the longest seventy miles we've ever driven, on the way to bring him home.  We're so hoping he is able to integrate into the family smoothly, because we already love him very much.

We've decided to name him Minnesota.   :)

Our new boy:

Sota and our girl, Sugar:

Offline hikerman

Re: It's going to be okay
« on: July 16, 2014, 02:08:08 PM »
Beautiful pooches Grillin! Too bad about your last attempt at adoption. I hope this one goes without a hitch! Good luck!
It's nice that you're going the adoption route to save a creature that needs help. We adopted our catahoula this past Thanksgiving and couldn't be happier with our new addition.  ;D

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 02:15:34 PM »
Beautiful dogs.  Would love to have those but not with the heat we get here.
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 02:18:23 PM »
Working with rescues can be difficult. But, when it works it is so good! I am sorry for the first experience, and hope for the best this time. My friend, Roscoe, is a rescue as well and a great bud. You never know what is in their gene line, but with the right approach you can have a great friend. I wish you the best!

Those are some beautiful dogs!

Minnesota is an excellent name!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pappymn

It's going to be okay
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 05:17:49 PM »
Great story. I assume you will yell his name in the great Fargo tradition. minnesooooooooota....here boy
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 05:18:51 PM »
Great story. I assume you will yell his name in the great Fargo tradition. minnesooooooooota....here boy
;D ;D ;D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline GrillinBWCA

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 06:14:19 PM »
Huskies aren't for everyone.  Both of ours are blowing coat right now.  The last two were on different cycles so at least we weren't ankle-deep in fur twice a year.  People don't realize how bad the shedding can be, and don't realize you need to accept that hair will become both a fashion accessory and a condiment in your house.   ;D    Huskies are also stubborn, smart, mouthy, very strong for their size, and they're not called Hairy Houdinis for nothing.  They can get out of most anywhere, if they want to.  They can also be quite destructive, and need a lot of human attention.  And they're potato chip dogs, meaning you can't have just one.  They do better with a companion.  A lot of them  end up in shelters, rescues, or worse because people don't know all the negatives and quickly find out after they get one that they're in over their heads.

The first dog wasn't actually with a rescue.  The guy just was trying on his own to find a home for her.  We were upset for ourselves, of course, but mostly we were upset for that poor, beautiful, damaged doggy and the life she had to have had to bring her to that point.

I figured people name their huskies all sorts of place names like Dakota, Yukon, Denali, etc, so why not Minnesota?  We have a long and honorable mushing tradition in this state, after all.  Especially up here on the Range.

We just called and Sota had his surgery yesterday to remove a growth on his elbow, so he's all set to go! 

A lot of questions we have should be answered by this time tomorrow. 

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 07:51:54 PM »
We are wishing you the best,  We have only had males, and they are amazing and special.  We are praying that this dog will find it's forever home with you.  Rescuing an animal from a shelter is such a blessing for yourselves and the dog.  Please keep us all posted.  We love to hear about a happy ending.  :D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 08:45:02 PM »
He's a good looking boy and here's hoping he does join the family easily. We have had up to 9 rescues at one time and have had good and bad luck with them, but we're suckers for a good dog.

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 08:50:40 PM »
I have an American Husky,we were told she was a GSD,Not hardly!!! So not the GSD we were looking for,but if a dog ever needed a home,she was it,so home with us she came.It was her LAST day there,and she knew it,just a heart-breaker.

A rescue too,as is Girl my GSD.

They are everything you said,and more,and I love that goofy mutt more than anything.

Its a hard dog to handle,and such a wonderful creature,definitely for an experienced large dog owner.99% angel,and then that 1% when the devil horns pop out,quite the dog indeed!

Congrats on the new fella!!!! He's AWESOME!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 09:02:02 PM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline catinatree

• Boulder, Colorado
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 08:56:03 PM »
Minnesota want a cookie ?

I have raised more dogs, mostly Akitas ..... put my last one down in 94. I sure do miss having animals around, these days it's the foxes, and the various wildlife that pay us a visit !

GMG Daniel Boone
Southwest Discada 24" Rio Grande
Discada tri-pod burner
PolyScience Sous Vide

Offline GrillinBWCA

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 08:59:23 PM »
Thanks!

This guy is lucky #13 and most of our others have been shelter dogs or owner surrenders.  The last two came from a shelter when we had four senior dogs all over the age of eleven.  We never had any trouble with any of them arguing with any of the others and that's what we're hoping for this time.  Who knows if we'll be that lucky again.

Huskies have a reputation of not getting along with cats, but IMO that's overstated.  We've had huskies and cats for many years and have had good luck making that work, so we're also hoping that works out because of our four cats.  Anything can happen, but Sota appears to be a pretty calm boy, so he may not pay much attention to them at all.  He paid no attention to the shelter cats when we walked him by their floor-level cages, so we can hope.

Our big concern about male dogs is that they're often bigger.  Sota is on the chubby side and currently weighs 70 pounds, while Sugar is only forty pounds and she's also twelve years old, so if he's too rough with her he could hurt her just because he's so much bigger.

Lots to worry about here, but we're still optimistic.

We have lots of wildlife here too.  The last two got so used to it they mostly ignored it.  They'll see a deer and say, "oh, there's a deer" and go back to what they were doing.  We're hoping the new guy does the same.  If he freaks out every time he sees a squirrel he's going to be on a constant freak-out.

Offline spuds

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 09:05:21 PM »
Snookie lives with free range chickens,so hope the cats work out OK. I also wouldnt worry about him being too rough,the male Huskies at the park are very deferential to our Girls as far as overdoing it goes.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline spuds

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 09:09:14 PM »
Minnesota want a cookie ?

I have raised more dogs, mostly Akitas ..... put my last one down in 94. I sure do miss having animals around, these days it's the foxes, and the various wildlife that pay us a visit !

WOW!

Offline GrillinBWCA

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 09:39:44 PM »
That's what all our cats' tails are going to look like once Sota hits the door!  LOL