Author Topic: It's going to be okay  (Read 5847 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: It's going to be okay
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 09:40:40 PM »
Congrats on the husky. I had one as a kid and they are great dogs.

I recently had my dog who was a rescue attack me and bit my daughter. Unfortunately we are having to get rid of him because I am afraid he will do it again.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline GrillinBWCA

• Boundary Waters, Minnesota
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 08:40:01 AM »
Sorry about your doggy.  I hope he can be rehomed.

We're sitting here counting the minutes till we leave.  Don't want to get there too early.  So many questions in our minds right now, some of which will be answered  before we get home today.  I wonder if he'll remember us when he sees us again.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 10:43:02 AM »
Sorry about your doggy.  I hope he can be rehomed.

We're sitting here counting the minutes till we leave.  Don't want to get there too early.  So many questions in our minds right now, some of which will be answered  before we get home today.  I wonder if he'll remember us when he sees us again.

We had to keep him under quarantine until the Animal Control department made a decision on him. So now we are paying to have him fixed so we can give him to a organization that takes aggressive dogs. I could not live with myself if we gave him to another family and someone else was attacked. So if they cannot take him animal control will probably put him down. My wife talked with them and they stated they could take him if he was fixed.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2014, 12:09:20 PM »
Roscoe is a can'ardly - can hardly tell what he is... But, we are assured he has some husky in him. Your comments about huskies explains a lot! I can brush him for an hour (getting enough hair to make a new dog!) Two minutes later he is shedding on everything...  ??? He is super smart but super stubborn - he knows what I am asking him to do, but makes it clear that that is just not on his to do list right now... But he is also very loyal, he will get between a stranger and one of our family, not aggressive, but clearly protective. The cool thing is his "family" grows to include our friends, the girls' friends, etc. Once we introduce him to someone, they are part of the "family."

Look forward to more pictures and stories about Sota!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline GrillinBWCA

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2014, 05:18:37 PM »
Muebe, I'm glad you're willing to pay for his neutering so he will have a chance to be rehomed.  I hope it all turns out for him.

Drholly, huskies are generally not protective, but since your guy is a mixed breed, then whatever he's mixed with might be where the protectiveness comes from.  Huskies as a rule either like everyone indiscriminately, or they are aloof, gentle but not friendly, meaning they won't usually bite but they just don't care if someone pets them or not.

Sota's here!  We picked him up at the shelter, where he greeted us with wags and grins, said his goodbyes to the staff, and then we took him and Sugar to their extremely large dog run where he took off like a rocket.  So this boy will most likely never be trustworthy off leash.  Not unexpected.  Most huskies aren't, so nothing against him.  But he had a good run in their fenced yard, and Sugar tried to keep up.  He mostly ignored her or else acted like he was showing off.  Husby threw a Frisbee for him but he was only interested till it hit the ground.  Ditto for the tennis ball, so it's good we didn't waste any money on those while we were trying to select toys for him this morning.

We loaded him in the van in his crate.  He's got the concept of jumping up with his front end, but is completely mystified about what to do to get his back end up into the van, even with the step stool we brought for him.  He's got the getting out part down fine though.  So we'll have to work on that.  He and Sugar ignored each other all the way home, which was great.  He was silent the whole way home, a good sign for traveling.  He's a heavy drinker though, so I think our pit stops will have to be about two hours apart at max when we travel.

We got him home and in the house.  We made it into the living room before encountering any cats.  Three of the four sat there with big eyes.  We could tell they were thinking WTH?  They all just looked at each other for a while, with Sota grinning and wagging and not making any effort to get them.  Then Chester the inspector came over and licked Sota's head.  He was perfectly okay with that.  The other two came over and there was a mutual sniff-fest and everyone seems satisfied that everyone else is okay.

The dog yard up the hill was inspected and the perimeter checked.  There was something we couldn't see out in the woods that had both his and Sugar's attention, but he didn't try to get out or anything.  He and Sugar aren't paying much attention to each other, which is fine.  They've been sniffing each other a little bit but mostly just ignoring each other.  Sugar is so concerned about him invading her space, she's napping.  When we got home we brought her in the house first and then Sota.  Sugar met him at the door wagging and grinning, welcoming him in.  No territory disputes or anything.

He'll go through the dog doors if we hold them open.  That's the first step to training and none of our other dogs have been willing to do that right off the bat, so this is a good start.

He's a Hoover!  Any crumb left on the floor is instantly eaten.  A living Roomba.  One cute thing about him is if he thinks he can get food, he sits down and waits for it.  And he's very gentle when he takes food from our hands, even if Sugar is right there.  But he's very focused on food and has a one track mind.  We gave Sugar a piece of candy and she left it on the floor.  I had to drag him away by the leash and then he still wouldn't quit thinking about it.  LOL.  No wonder he's such a chunk.

We had planned to keep him in a crate in the living room most of the time the first week, but he's been laying on the floor with cats walking right past him for the past fifteen minutes and doesn't seem to have any interest in them.  This is such a huge relief.  He came up to sniff Cady and she slapped him, and he went to the patio door and tried to get out, poor boy.  He was in the dog yard alone and started to come up the steps, but then he saw Chester on the landing and went back down to get away.  We think some cat sometime has schooled him!  They also told us at the shelter when there would be an altercation between dogs in their yard, Sota would go the other way and not participate.  He may be one of those doggies who does not like conflict.  We should be so lucky.

Hahaha!  Sota just came back in through both dog doors by himself, just being called!  Wow!  He's a smart boy.  None of the other dogs have picked it up so fast or so willingly.

So the conclusion so far, after him being home only two hours, is he's doing great, much better than we expected.  We'll be waiting for the other shoe to fall for a few weeks yet, but so far we're very encouraged.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2014, 05:28:30 PM »
Grillin, sounds like you and Mr Grillin picked a winner! Hope all is good from here on......... ;D

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2014, 06:44:17 PM »
Beautiful dogs! Good Luck.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2014, 07:12:52 PM »
What a great report and a great doggie! I look forward to more stories!
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline GrillinBWCA

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2014, 09:13:05 PM »
We're just sitting on the couch watching squirrels now.  We have a feeder about four feet from the living room windows.  He's not freaking out about it, just watching quietly.  I suspect we'll have less rodents around here if he catches them in the dog yard!

Tomorrow his travel training starts.  We like to take long road trips with our camper two or three times a year, and he's going to have to adjust to that.  We're going to load him and Sugar into the back seat of the truck with a temporary partition between them, and then take them into town (short trip) and see how that goes.

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2014, 10:58:08 PM »
Glad to hear all is going well so far, he sounds like he will be a great addition to the Grillin Clan!

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2014, 11:08:58 PM »
Sounding good Grillin.I would say maybe at most 15% of Huskies have that protective thing going on,most are as you say,aloof.My female is like that.Very aloof,but if you really push her she will get defensive,but really just isnt interested in anybody but her pack.

Yup,Huskies are just very neat dogs.Glad Sota fitting right in,in 2-3 weeks the pair will be inseparable  I'll bet.He sounds like he has adopted YOU! Also bet your female is going to seriously fall in love with her handsome strong virile male mate.Our GSD thinks male Huskies are sexy indeed,if a dog doesnt dwarf her she wont give him a second look,big fella comes by its Gidget looking at Moondoggie.

Oh,we had a rental car and they tried to charge us 150 dollars or something to clean it....dog fur.They just couldnt grasp we were always covered in fur,LOL.No dogs ever went in that car.

;) :)

Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline GrillinBWCA

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2014, 02:04:24 PM »
I pieced together some scraps of wire shelving and made a temporary barrier in the back seat of the truck to keep the two doggies separate.  Then we drove them into town for a test.  First we went to Husby's work, where his friends saw us drive in and poured out of the building to meet the new guy.  They were duly impressed and he strutted around like he owned the place, very friendly and waggy.  Then we stopped by the vet clinic to weigh him and get his heartworm preventative started.  Our vet, who maintains an eighty-dog kennel of racing Siberians of her own, got right down on the floor to get to know him and love him up, then she gave me a big hug which surprised me.  She offered to do a blood draw on the spot for his heartworm check, which was nice, so now we don't have to bring him in next week.  Then we did some errands, left them alone in the truck, and came home.  No incidents at all, not a growl or a curled lip even.  They just ignore each other.  They're worn out now so they're napping on the floor.  He's really a mellow boy.

He did better today dealing with the step stool we offered him to help him get his fat butt into the truck.  He's figuring out how to get his back end into the seat by himself, which is good.   I don't think he'll need the stool once he learns to take a short running start, and once he sees how Sugar gets in by doing that.  I bought the D ring I needed to make his traveling harness, so need to start working on that.  He's wiggly so getting measurements is going to be interesting.

He's figured out how to get IN through the dog doors, but he still thinks we're supposed to hold the flaps open for him so he can get OUT.  But he's smart and catches on to things fast, so we're sure in a day or so he'll be going in and out like he's done it all his life.

So far today, nothing eventful is happening, which is the best possible outcome we could hope for.   

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2014, 02:37:40 PM »
Sounds really good!!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2014, 02:39:06 PM »
Member #

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2014, 09:06:48 PM »
Outstanding! Glad to hear it's working out so well.