Author Topic: Meat Rake  (Read 2240 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Meat Rake
« Reply #-1 on: June 29, 2012, 07:32:16 PM »
Stumbled across this the other day and looks really cool!!  Of course my butts come out so tender they fall apart if I just give em the hairy eye-ball  ::) ;)

http://meatrake.com/
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Meat Rake
« on: June 29, 2012, 09:03:44 PM »
Here's my meat rakes  ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline Ka Honu

Re: Meat Rake
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 09:23:32 PM »
I have never figured out the fascination for this and the myriad of other pullers, rakes, & claws that don't do as good a job as the easily operated ones we were born with (suitably gloved of course).  Maybe one of the mechanical ones if you're pulling several hundred pounds a day, but for most everyone else I just don't get it.  What am I missing?
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Meat Rake
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 10:17:11 PM »
I have never figured out the fascination for this and the myriad of other pullers, rakes, & claws that don't do as good a job as the easily operated ones we were born with (suitably gloved of course).  Maybe one of the mechanical ones if you're pulling several hundred pounds a day, but for most everyone else I just don't get it.  What am I missing?
Have you seen the one you put at the end of a drill and totally shreds the butt ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 10:53:11 PM »
I saw a video where they put a fully cooked butt in a big bag and then nailed it with a heavy skillet!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 11:08:59 PM »
... the one you put at the end of a drill and totally shreds the butt...

That's the one I meant by "mechanical" - don't see it unless you're doing huge volume every day.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 08:05:25 AM »

I am with YOU on this Turtle..... If the butt is cooked enough ( but not too much) it should only be a matter of  "hand pulling" with gloved hands.

I have tried the Bear Claws, and a few other tools. If you are in enough of a hurry that a couple of minutes makes a difference - then I guess they could be worthwhile. Or if you are cooking several butts at one time - maybe then....
But some of the rotary, drill powered ones can "shred" the pork to a minced or sloppy -joe like consistency if you are not careful. They do require a little bit of thinking as you use them.
Guess that is why I prefer my fingers....they need no training.  :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 08:26:16 AM »
I like the bear paws. They are helpful with shredding and turning the meat. Much easier IMHO then using forks or with your hands.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 09:23:56 AM »
I have one of the mechanical ones. It was sent to me for some testing. Basically you get to pretend your a Nascar tire changer. Much more than that and your going to over shred it. I use my gloved hands more often than not myself. Click on the picture

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!