Author Topic: First Brisket  (Read 1918 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: First Brisket
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 08:47:51 PM »
I ......

Well - let me cut to the chase, with no dis-respect to anyone. There are lots of folks here offering really good advice. But, your case is a little different...THIS is your first brisket. I feel that most of the issues new folks have with brisket stem from trying to over-complicate the cook, in an attempt to "perfect" something that has been cooked extremely well - and cooked very simply for as long as brisket has been the de-facto go-to meat in the Southwestern US. To wit:

Rub it with what you like  ( something simple like you referred to. )- and give it low temp - 210-250F, for as long as it takes for it to pass the tooth pick test. Don't make yourself crazy with complex methods....  yet ;D. Learn the cut of meat first... then later, when you try another one, change one thing. See how that works.

I recently cooked a 16.4 lb. brisket. Applied rub - then cooked it for 20 hours. Fat cap up. ( not that it matters- we have cooked 'em both ways - I have read all of the "science"...but it just doesn't matter for me - either way works.) The first 4 hours were on "smoke mode" on my MAK ( that is 165-170F ) The next 16 hours were 235F. That is it....

No wrapping, no injecting, no foo-juices ;D or anything else...

Here is the "secret". Ready?....The fats, and connective tissues that are in the brisket will moisturize and tenderize it...*IF* you just give it time. All of the other things may - or may not help...but if you want a traditional, Central Texas style brisket - that is al there is too it.

I am NOT telling you that anyone else has given you bad advice. I am merely pointing to your new-ness and,  trying to talk you down from the ledge :D. Do not fear the brisket. Just be patient with it. For your first done do not invite all your friends and family - and pressure yourself and the brisket. ;) ;D Just relax,keep it simple, and take notes. Tell it's ready when it's ready. ;)
Best of Luck, you will do fine with it. :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 09:02:06 PM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 03:49:31 AM »
I ......

Well - let me cut to the chase, with no dis-respect to anyone. There are lots of folks here offering really good advice. But, your case is a little different...THIS is your first brisket. I feel that most of the issues new folks have with brisket stem from trying to over-complicate the cook, in an attempt to "perfect" something that has been cooked extremely well - and cooked very simply for as long as brisket has been the de-facto go-to meat in the Southwestern US. To wit:

Rub it with what you like  ( something simple like you referred to. )- and give it low temp - 210-250F, for as long as it takes for it to pass the tooth pick test. Don't make yourself crazy with complex methods....  yet ;D. Learn the cut of meat first... then later, when you try another one, change one thing. See how that works.

I recently cooked a 16.4 lb. brisket. Applied rub - then cooked it for 20 hours. Fat cap up. ( not that it matters- we have cooked 'em both ways - I have read all of the "science"...but it just doesn't matter for me - either way works.) The first 4 hours were on "smoke mode" on my MAK ( that is 165-170F ) The next 16 hours were 235F. That is it....

No wrapping, no injecting, no foo-juices ;D or anything else...

Here is the "secret". Ready?....The fats, and connective tissues that are in the brisket will moisturize and tenderize it...*IF* you just give it time. All of the other things may - or may not help...but if you want a traditional, Central Texas style brisket - that is al there is too it.

I am NOT telling you that anyone else has given you bad advice. I am merely pointing to your new-ness and,  trying to talk you down from the ledge :D. Do not fear the brisket. Just be patient with it. For your first done do not invite all your friends and family - and pressure yourself and the brisket. ;) ;D Just relax,keep it simple, and take notes. Tell it's ready when it's ready. ;)
Best of Luck, you will do fine with it. :)

I know, I know, I'm just a little excited(80%), a little nervous of under/over cooking(15%), a little worried (3%), and a little scared (2%).  Only really scared and worried I will be wasting a full day. I have one buddy coming over, we have smoked ribs and chicken a few times so he knows the drill and its a first time tester brisket.

One last question.  With all the fat I assume no need to spritz?
+ Attachments and other options
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 06:24:24 AM »
No spritzing.  You are just wasting fuel and time by opening the cooker.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 07:30:10 AM »
You have been given some great advice. And I am by no means a brisket expert but I did play one in TV :P

Anyways... Is this brisket a full packer or just a flat? If you mentioned that I must have missed it. A full packer is both the point and the flat together and the flat is...well.. just the flat cut of the brisket. A packer has grains that run different directions so this is important to know when carving. Also the best brisket I have made(not saying much) has been a full packer. The flats have always been dry to me. Except when done Sous Vide but that is another story.

So here are some of my suggestions.

Let it ride. As others stated don't become overwhelmed with wrapping, foiling, spraying the brisket. Just let the fat do it's magic.

They cook fast. They tend to finish faster than you expected from my experience. When the probe goes in like butter it is ready. 200F to 210F internal temperature.

Save the juices. Put a pan under it to recover the juices. Then after carving place the slices back in the juices overnight. You will be amazed how tender the brisket becomes the next day! Even a dry brisket can be salvaged this way.

And let it rest. Give it time to cool some before slicing. This gives time for the juices to return to the meat as it cools. Wrapping with foil and leaving in a cooler or microwave works. And slice across the grain so it is tender and not chewy.

Brisket is not an easy cut to get right because they always cook so different but you will be fine. Make sure to post pics of the finished product and how you cooked it so we all learn ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 11:20:06 AM »
Lots of ways to skin a cat!
When cooking something new I try somewhat follow a recipe the first time.
Hub has posted his basic brisket cook & it's an excellent starting place.

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=617.0

I couldn't agree more.  This is a good, basic, place to start.

I do use Montreal Steak, though, for the rub.

I keep a pan under mine in the smoker and, at the midpoint, just drop it into the pan, with the juices, and cover tightly with heavy duty foil.

Good Luck ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline akruckus

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 11:33:52 AM »
You have been given some great advice. And I am by no means a brisket expert but I did play one in TV :P

Anyways... Is this brisket a full packer or just a flat? If you mentioned that I must have missed it. A full packer is both the point and the flat together and the flat is...well.. just the flat cut of the brisket. A packer has grains that run different directions so this is important to know when carving. Also the best brisket I have made(not saying much) has been a full packer. The flats have always been dry to me. Except when done Sous Vide but that is another story.

So here are some of my suggestions.

Let it ride. As others stated don't become overwhelmed with wrapping, foiling, spraying the brisket. Just let the fat do it's magic.

They cook fast. They tend to finish faster than you expected from my experience. When the probe goes in like butter it is ready. 200F to 210F internal temperature.

Save the juices. Put a pan under it to recover the juices. Then after carving place the slices back in the juices overnight. You will be amazed how tender the brisket becomes the next day! Even a dry brisket can be salvaged this way.

And let it rest. Give it time to cool some before slicing. This gives time for the juices to return to the meat as it cools. Wrapping with foil and leaving in a cooler or microwave works. And slice across the grain so it is tender and not chewy.

Brisket is not an easy cut to get right because they always cook so different but you will be fine. Make sure to post pics of the finished product and how you cooked it so we all learn ;)

Full packer.  I did a flat for pastrami but at the point I was only trying to get smoky goodness on it before letting it rest then steaming it for that true NYC deli vibe.

At this point, I am just waiting until I can pick it up on Thursday work from the butcher.  He has one tagged and ready for me to pick up!
PBC
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline akruckus

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2014, 09:00:37 AM »
Went really well, better than I thought it would go.  Used the toothpick test but I think I was nervous of over cooking it too much where it will fall apart, it could have stayed on a little longer but it was still awesome.  I have to get better at trimming the fat cap. Pictures will follow on Monday when I a little more time.  Thanks everyone for tips and advice, I took notes and cannot wait to try it again!
PBC
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2014, 11:21:44 AM »
WTG AK! Cant wait to see pics.

Im a little nervous about it too,I have Texan relatives and believe me,they are experts.Must be the official state dish,or they throw you out if it isnt perfect and make you eat pea's.Genetic maybe,who knows  ::)

Probably the best beef I ever had was their briskets.I will do it though when I get the opportunity.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2014, 12:28:05 PM »
Glad to hear it went well, can't wait to see the pictures.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2014, 12:39:41 PM »
Great job ! ! !  Can't wait to see how it turned out.

I cooked my first brisket about six months ago and it is quickly turning into my most consistent cook.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2014, 02:16:32 PM »
Glad it worked out well.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline akruckus

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2014, 07:23:56 AM »
I was worried about the color so I wrapped.  Overall pretty happy, and cannot wait to make another one.

[attachment deleted by admin]
PBC
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2014, 10:47:27 AM »
Nice looking pictures of the brisket, great bark on it.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2014, 04:48:11 PM »
Looks good. :P

I see a bear face on the meat,is this Rorschach Brisket? ;D
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline akruckus

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2014, 07:59:19 AM »
Ok so now that I have a little time I can talk about my cook.

I put the meat on at 6am sharp, made adjustments as needed but mostly just checked the coals/wood every hour.  Temp was pretty steady at 235-240.  I did have one spike when morning winds kicked in, it took me about 20 minutes to control and regain that nice happy 235.  for the most part I had the nice blue smoke.  I didn't put too as much wood (2:1 oak:cherry) in worried I would make the meat bitter but I didn't get as much of a smoke ring as I thought considering it was unwrapped for 8-9 hours, and it was not bitter.  I could taste just a bit of the smoke, but I think next time I will go no wrap if the burn stays the same.  At 415pm it was about 197F when I used the toothpick test and it went it smooth and came out clean in numerous spots.  I let it rest for about 75 minutes before my buddy and I could wait no more.  Super Juicy tender, but there is room for improvement.  My friend says it was amazing, he was shocked at how much juice goodness came out of it as I was slicing it down.  I am my hardest critic, I'm sure it was good, just I think I can do better, but I was told I set a high bar to match for next time.  ???

Summary:
10.25 hours in the smoker (wrapped after 8-9hours)
75 minute rest
30 minutes of pigging out
15 minutes after eating itis kicked in
11 hours of sleep (2-3 on the couch first) :P

Thanks everyone!
PBC
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759