Author Topic: Need vacuum sealer recommendations  (Read 2998 times)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: Need vacuum sealer recommendations
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 11:06:40 PM »
But - here is another secret: Your freezer is part of the problem - if you are using a self-defrosting freezer. The better type for longest storage is a commercial type. Which simply means that it is not an auto defrosting unit.
In the auto defrost mode - the freezer must warm up to (usually) the lower 40'sF - long enough for most of the ice to melt, and drip down to the pan below your freezer. During this warming period - everything in the freezer is also beginning to defrost on the edges. So - when it re-freezes, you get the little ice crystals forming on your food that we all call - freezer burn....

Now that there is some good info! :) I guess I never really thought about what causes freezer burn.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Need vacuum sealer recommendations
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 08:34:02 AM »
But - here is another secret: Your freezer is part of the problem - if you are using a self-defrosting freezer. The better type for longest storage is a commercial type. Which simply means that it is not an auto defrosting unit.
In the auto defrost mode - the freezer must warm up to (usually) the lower 40'sF - long enough for most of the ice to melt, and drip down to the pan below your freezer. During this warming period - everything in the freezer is also beginning to defrost on the edges. So - when it re-freezes, you get the little ice crystals forming on your food that we all call - freezer burn....

Now that there is some good info! :) I guess I never really thought about what causes freezer burn.
I never knew that. Interesting. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker