Author Topic: All Purpose Gravey  (Read 2123 times)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
All Purpose Gravey
« Reply #-1 on: October 28, 2014, 08:21:57 PM »
With all the talk about Gravey I have taken to this one. I use it when I need gravey but haven't cooked any meat. Also if I'm cooking for a large crowd I will add this to any meat drippings just to make more. I double this.

Kindly Borrowed from Americans Test Kitchen

1 1/4 Small carrot, peeled and chopped into rough 1/2 - inch pieces (about 1/2 cup)
1 1/4 Small rib celery, chopped into rough 1/2 - inch pieces (about 1/2 cup)
1 1/4 Small onion, chopped into rough 1/2 - inch pieces (about 3/4 cup)
3 3/4 Tbsp unsalted butter
0.3 Cup unbleached all - purpose flour
2 1/2 Cups low - sodium chicken broth
2 1/2 Cups low - sodium beef broth
1 1/4 bay leaf
0.3 tsp dried thyme
6 1/4 whole black peppercorns
Salt and ground black pepper

Makes 2 Cups
WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS:
Gravy, by definition, is a thickened sauce made of meat juices and pan drippings, usually left over from a roast. But what if you don’t have a roast on hand and want gravy for some mashed potatoes or pork chops? We wanted to create a top-notch, all-purpose gravy that could be made quickly, without any special ingredients.

When we began our tests, we assumed that some combination of supermarket broths and sautéed vegetables thickened with flour would be most likely to give us the results we wanted. But water and vegetable broths made for flavorless gravies, while chicken and beef broths alone dominated the gravy. Equal amounts of chicken and beef broth, however, provided a meaty yet balanced base.
With our broth mixture determined, we turned to the vegetables. A standard mirepoix (a mixture of onions, carrots, and celery) lightly sautéed in oil contributed a rounded sweetness and body, but it failed to accent the gravy’s meatiness or to impart any roasted flavor. In most gravy recipes, the fond (the browned bits at the bottom of a roasting pan) provides concentrated flavor and an appealing nutty-brown color. It occurred to us that we could create similar bits of rich, caramelized flavor by developing a vegetable fond. We were right; simply extending the cooking time and sautéing the vegetables until they were well browned resulted in a more pronounced roasted, meaty flavor. Switching from oil to butter (for more flavor) and chopping the vegetables in a food processor (for smaller, more uniform pieces) further enhanced our fond.

Our final step was to thicken the gravy. We tried a variety of techniques but got the best results by sprinkling a little flour into the sautéed vegetables to create a classic roux. The gravy was getting better, but it still lacked depth. We borrowed a method from Creole gumbos and took our roux far past the pale blond shade of our previous tests, cooking it until it became the color of milk chocolate. This simple technique developed complex flavor elements, provided an unexpectedly rich roasted flavor, and added a meaty intensity. Together with the caramelized vegetable fond, the darkened roux lent the gravy a rich, deep brown color. A classic combination of dried thyme, bay leaf, and peppercorns finished our surprisingly simple yet deeply flavorful gravy.

This gravy can be served with almost any type of meat or poultry or with mashed potatoes. If you would like to double the recipe, use a Dutch oven to give the vegetables ample space for browning and increase the cooking times by roughly 50 percent. The finished gravy can be frozen. To thaw either a single or double recipe, place the gravy and 1 tablespoon of water in a saucepan over low heat and bring slowly to a simmer. The gravy may appear broken or curdled as it thaws, but a vigorous whisking will recombine it.

1. In food processor, pulse carrot until broken into rough 1/4-inch pieces, about five 1-second pulses. Add celery and onion; pulse until all vegetables are broken into 1/8-inch pieces, about five 1-second pulses.

2. Heat butter in large heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat; when foaming subsides, add vegetables and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and well browned, about 7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, until thoroughly browned and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Whisking constantly, gradually add broths; bring to boil, skimming off any foam that forms on surface. Reduce heat to medium-low and add bay leaf, thyme, and peppercorns; simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened and reduced to 3 cups, 20 to 25 minutes.

3. Strain gravy through fine-mesh strainer into clean saucepan, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible; discard solids. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Pappymn

All Purpose Gravey
« on: October 28, 2014, 08:26:19 PM »
Thanks buddy. Will try this
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: All Purpose Gravey
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 08:33:00 PM »
Bookmarked Thanks!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 10:38:21 PM »
Thanks Drew I will sure use that!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 11:19:11 PM »
got this copied --thx
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline Hub

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 07:19:15 AM »
Sounds good, but I worry about those vegetables in it  ::)

Seems to me like they could be reserved to feed some critter to make MEAT  ;)

MMMMMMMMMMM  GRAVY for emergencies -- good strategy!

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 08:09:15 AM »
America's test kitchen is on our local PBS station and I get it on hdtv at the camper, not much else on. They test stuff until it is perfect. I really like this show because they go into the why, it works. They are not as funny as Alton Brown, I really like him, but they have great information. They have an offer for all the years, like 13 years they have been on tv, for like $19.95 and I am going to order it because I have watched them make some of the foods that I would cook.
http://www.americastestkitchen.com/
Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 08:36:13 AM »
Bookmarked.. thanks buddy!
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 10:54:28 AM »
Sounds great, thanks for posting.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 04:01:34 PM »
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Re: All Purpose Gravey made this and delicious
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 01:31:07 AM »
Dec 02 2014

I love gravy but don’t fix it as often as I would like. My Mom made good gravy and was usually milk gravy. My Mother in law made great gravy and was made with the meat drippings, flour and water. She always added a little Kitchen Bouquet. Anytime she cooked for me she always had gravy.

If you are like me it’s a pain to make gravy, the meat and sides are done and ready to serve and you’re hungry. So you skip the gravy. When I read this posted by Drew (CDN Smoker) I thought it sounded good so thought I would give it a try. The recipe came from America’s Test Kitchen.

The only thing I changed was I didn’t measure the veggies and had a little more than called for. I also skipped using a blender and just diced the veggies extra small. I did use 4 Tbs. of butter. After simmering for 25 minutes to reduce down it was not as thick as I wanted so I made a slurry of 2 Tbs. flour and some cold water to thicken some more. It will also reduce some more when I heat it to use tomorrow.

After a taste test, well about 4 or 5 tastes I wanted drink a glass of it; delicious. I would say among the best gravies I have tasted. I will be making this a lot in the future. I think the next time when done I may just use my immersion blender and puree the veggies instead of discarding. That’s a lot of goodies to just throw out.

Tomorrow this gravy should hit the spot over some of Hub’s Super Stuffing mix!

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline pz