Author Topic: Creaping up on the 1000 members!  (Read 6591 times)

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
Re: Creaping up on the 1000 members!
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 05:01:21 AM »
With new members, like myself, are just waiting until it warms up to get some more BBQing in.  PBC is great in the winter so far, but it is under lock and key until after I get married.  The better half doesn't want me making anything because it tastes too good and she wants to make sure she fits into the wedding dress :P.  Combo Smoke Hallow smoker uses too much fuel for temperatures under 45F (7C).  A little more than a month and I cannot wait to fire up some ribs!

I could be selfish and make a rack for myself, but sharing is caring.  I would have plenty of bones for my time in the dog house, but I can hold out for another 5-6 weeks.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline RAD

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 06:15:30 AM »
With new members, like myself,
Sorry brother, you've earned your wings. You are no longer the new guy.
Love to cook and eat

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 06:43:08 AM »
With new members, like myself, are just waiting until it warms up to get some more BBQing in.  PBC is great in the winter so far, but it is under lock and key until after I get married.  The better half doesn't want me making anything because it tastes too good and she wants to make sure she fits into the wedding dress :P.  Combo Smoke Hallow smoker uses too much fuel for temperatures under 45F (7C).  A little more than a month and I cannot wait to fire up some ribs!

I could be selfish and make a rack for myself, but sharing is caring.  I would have plenty of bones for my time in the dog house, but I can hold out for another 5-6 weeks.

Make chicken in the PBC. If she avoids the skin chicken is a great lean meat. And you can cut it up for topping a salad.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Hub

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 08:06:47 AM »
As of this evening, we are currently at 956 members...

Boy I hate to be a downer, but unfortunately numbers don't mean a lot.  A huge majority of those are either lurkers (which is fine - many sign up so they can search the forums more easily), or as with most forums, we have many who have not logged into the forum for a year or longer.

Now having said that... the good news is that some of the new members we've gotten lately are starting to become regular contributors, and that's exactly what we need!  8)

The SM software the forum resides on can be set to track and optionally display a lot of stats on members and usage.  Admins can see a lot more than the short graphs at the bottom of the home page.  Average posts per day (ours is about 140 or so) is one of the best activity and thus "size" indicators along with total views per period.  It looks to me like we are successful in lots of ways  ;D

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 08:22:01 AM »
With absolutely no intent to sound arrogant or "exclusive"....we try to approve members that check out as positive contributors. Like begets like. 

SO, as we all recommend someone for membership - (remember - LTBBQ grows mostly because of referral...) think about the feeling that we have here that is different from many - if not most on the internet. The goal is to preserve the fun. friendly, yet informative environment.
We mean it when we say that this place feels like you have been invited into a big backyard BBQ where everyone are friends - and there are no cliques, or hidden agendas. No need to compete with one another. No need for "teams" or jealousy.
We created LTBBQ to share ideas and experience with one another. EVERYONE here can cook - even a beginner gets equal respect. But our mission is to help make one another better, and have fun in the process.

Grow bigger? Sure - that is going to happen. But not at the expense of growing better....

There are plenty of places on the internet that have many times the number of members than we do. But just being bigger does not mean that they have more quality content ;).
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 08:23:27 AM »
All funning aside, when the 1000 th member hits we should do something for that person. 

What y'all say??    I'm thinking a basket of rubs and seasonings?

Just tossing it out for review
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline akruckus

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2015, 08:24:09 AM »

Make chicken in the PBC. If she avoids the skin chicken is a great lean meat. And you can cut it up for topping a salad.

I know, I even asked about the chicken.  She replied with I eat too much of it.  She doesn't like the skin.  The little left overs we did have from previous cooks was the greatest addition to my lunch salads.
PBC
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2015, 11:14:21 AM »
All funning aside, when the 1000 th member hits we should do something for that person. 

That is a great idea Tommy. As the resident rub pusher around here, I can recommend a few  ;)

I just want all the newer members of our family to know that we truly appreciate you hanging around with us and as we grow we never want any of us to forget that when we log in we want you to get the feeling that you are in your favorite flannel shirt, holding a cold one on a crisp evening,standing by a warm grill/smoker with all of us talking about BBQ and more  :)    This my friends, is what this forum is all about  :) :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2015, 02:55:46 PM »

Well when I got to 10,000 posts I did get a sports car :P
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline akruckus

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2015, 02:59:42 PM »

Thank you, I still feel like I have been taking more than I have been giving.  Hopefully that changes in a couple months.
PBC
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Pappymn

Creaping up on the 1000 members!
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2015, 04:38:30 PM »

Thank you, I still feel like I have been taking more than I have been giving.  Hopefully that changes in a couple months.

Muebe is the resident "taker". 8)
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2015, 05:42:49 PM »

Pappy is the reason we have admins :P
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2015, 05:46:48 PM »
Pappy and Muebe are the reasons us moderators are bald and turn to the bottle every evening..... :D :D ;D ;D ;) ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2015, 06:45:55 PM »

Pappy is the reason we have admins :P
Modify message

Keep it up you two...and we will tie those body parts together and hang y'all over a fence to dry out...... :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2015, 07:02:24 PM »
i'm glad I am the good kid in our family.   ;)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66