Author Topic: Mail order BBQ  (Read 2130 times)

Offline NickUK

Mail order BBQ
« Reply #-1 on: April 04, 2015, 04:25:07 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has any experience of mail order BBQ?
I assume meat is vac packed and frozen?
Interested in views on best reheating methods.
And most important of all, how does it taste?

Thanks

Nick

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Mail order BBQ
« on: April 04, 2015, 09:52:41 AM »
Nick there are a few of the more famous BBQ places in the 'States that do a mail order business. The food is vacuum wrapped, then frozen and shipped in a styrofoam cooler box via FedEx, UPS, or DHL overnight. Expensive - but fairly popular.

These typically come with instructions on what each merchant perceives as "best practice" for thawing and re-heating the product.

Quality: Ell - that is a real personal experience based question....Your satisfaction is likely influenced by the availability  (or lack thereof) of locally obtainable BBQ. And - your ability to produce good BBQ at home ;). That is what we are here for. To help one another - in our personal quests to produce great food, ourselves. And - to suggest quality resources to help you achieve your personal goals in BBQ, and cooking in general.

Personal recommendation for the best BBQ shipment I have personally tried?:  http://www.coopersbbqllano.com
I have eaten at this location when I was young, and as recent as last year. And - have had a large order shipped to our office for the employees. Even my wife - who is NOT a BBQ fan...( it happens in a few families - science is working on a cure... ;D ) LOVES Cooper's.
What makes this particular BBQ unique is that that make their own "lump" charcoal from local wood in a large chimney style oven, and use that charcoal to cook the meat over. It is a different flavor than the one derived by cooking with "live wood" or sticks of wood.

BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 10:59:12 AM »
What good timing you have. I had two boxes from Snake River Farms delivered yesterday.

One box had a Kobe/Wagyu brisket. It was frozen solid.

The second box had some flat irons and filet mignon........meat was warm with juice all over the box

I have eyed this outfit for a while and I paid full price for the brisket, I got a sweet deal on the steaks.

I now have -6- potentially not edible steaks in my freezer and a box full of dried juice downstairs until I can speak to customer service.

Will keep you posted...............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Pappymn

Mail order BBQ
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 11:12:37 AM »

What good timing you have. I had two boxes from Snake River Farms delivered yesterday.

One box had a Kobe/Wagyu brisket. It was frozen solid.

The second box had some flat irons and filet mignon........meat was warm with juice all over the box

I have eyed this outfit for a while and I paid full price for the brisket, I got a sweet deal on the steaks.

I now have -6- potentially not edible steaks in my freezer and a box full of dried juice downstairs until I can speak to customer service.

Will keep you posted...............

Go get um Smoke......I wouldn't eat any of it. ???
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 12:24:44 PM »
Looks like they forgot the ice packs.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline NickUK

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 12:36:26 PM »
Thanks for your input folks. I guess ultimately my question is leading to a better understanding of a route to market. Im at a point in my life where, think I'm going to tell the man to take his job and shove it. See if can't make some form of living from doing something I truly enjoy.
Be nice to wake up with a  :) on my face.
Sorry about your steaks.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 06:14:50 PM »
Nick there is a company that offers fresh ingredients and ready to prepare meals that are delivered right to your home. They seem to be doing very well...

https://www.blueapron.com

I believe your idea has a market out there but implementing and making it profitable I have no idea how to do it.

Smoke too bad on the arrival of the bad meat. I am sure they will correct it for you.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 07:28:39 PM »
I tried http://store.blacksbbq.com/storefront.aspx & thought along with my friends that it was terrible not even fair....The ribs were awful & the chicken not much better. But I only tried them once.

Blacks BBQ   :'(
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill