Author Topic: Getting Closer to Pulling The Pin  (Read 2736 times)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
Getting Closer to Pulling The Pin
« Reply #-1 on: May 13, 2015, 06:15:45 AM »
I have watched a few of you folks go on about your de Buyer Mineral B pans. I have one in my Amazon wish list ::)

I have utube a bit looking on how to properly break in. Not finding much, any suggestions?

Want this all worked out before I pull the pin ;)
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline hikerman

Re: Getting Closer to Pulling The Pin
« on: May 13, 2015, 07:37:33 AM »
Drew it's been a long time since I seasoned my pans but I followed their recommendations and boiled potato skins in water for 15 minutes. Dump water and peels. Rinse with very hot water. Wipe that out. Lastly heat 1/2 cm of oil in pan and toss that and wipe clean using paper towels. At this point you just have to use it. The more you use it the better it gets. Immediately after using the pan I rinse it out with very hot water and rub with paper towels or a green scrubbie, if all solids are gone rinse again, then put on burner to dry using high heat. After several uses it will get to be non-stick.
Hope this helps. PM me If you get snagged. Good luck and you will love this pan!

Offline Pappymn

Getting Closer to Pulling The Pin
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 10:25:26 AM »
What hikerman said. I dry my pan on high gas and wipe with a bit of oil. Your new pan will never look as good as the day you get it. But it will work great.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 05:01:10 AM »
Book marked to save this procedure..borrowed from Ammazon.com

1) You *do* need to peel a couple of potatoes, put the peels in the pan, cover them with an inch of water, and boil for 15 minutes as the instructions mention. There's some sort of shipping coating on this pan that this step removes. You will NOT get a good season on this pan until this coating is removed. While boiling the peels (just the peels, not the potatoes, this step is going to produce inedible results), carefully move the boiling water around the pan by tilting it back and forth. Get that enzymatic, chemically water around all possible cooking surfaces.

2) After 15 minutes of boiling time (not counting the time to get the water to a boil), drain the water, throw out the peels, and dry the pan thoroughly with a paper towel or two. Oil the pan *lightly* with Crisco, lard, clean bacon grease, or peanut oil. Cover the entire pan, bottom and all ... get everything coated except the handle.
*Don't* use canola, olive oil, or any other type of oil right now. You can use them for cooking in the future, but not for this step.

3) I think this is the critical point where people make mistakes. Most people seem to use too high of a heat for an initial seasoning, and/or an uneven heat. Get your oven pre-heated to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place a clean cookie sheet (uncoated if possible, not non-stick) on the lowest rack to catch drips. Place the pan upside down on the rack above the cookie sheet, and set the timer for 30 minutes.

4) After 30 minutes, let it stay in the oven for another 30 minutes with the heat off, so it can slowly cool. A slow cooling process really helps the seasoning develop in my experience.

5) Once the pan is cool, take it out of the oven, and wipe it down with a different type of high temperature oil. If you used peanut oil first, this time use Crisco. If you used Crisco first, this time use bacon grease. This is the key. Different oils have different properties, and they'll bond to each other in different ways. I've seasoned a lot of pans in my time, and mixing and matching different oils for the process always results in a much more thorough seasoning, that doesn't flake off easily.

6) Now, repeat step 3 and 4 exactly.

7) You should now have a good initial seasoning. This process will take about 2.5 hours, of which, you'll mostly be waiting.

To keep it developing, here's all you need to know. Yes, the instructions say you can use a little bit of soap. Don't. Just don't. The heat of the pan will kill all possible pathogens. Just gently scrape the remaining food out of the pan when you're finished cooking, and let it cool naturally. When it's just warm to the touch, add a 2" puddle of oil to your pan, and rub it down with a paper towel. If something is really stuck to it, add a pinch or two of kosher salt or sea salt to the pan, and use that to scrub gently with a paper towel, and then re-oil it. That's all you should ever need to do. If you constantly resort to a hard bristle brush and (uggh) use soap, your seasoning will develop poorly and slowly.

ALWAYS store the pan lightly oiled. ALWAYS. If it looks dry, you're doing it wrong. When it comes time to cook, just put some fresh oil on a paper towel, and wipe it out to remove the old oil.

Don't heat the pan scorching hot for long when it's empty, as this will weaken an early seasoning layer and it might flake off in the beginning.

Don't use metal tools immediately. Try to stick to plastic, wood, or silicone tools for the first few sessions of cooking.

There, that's that. I hope these tips help some people get started with a tool that, properly cared for, will last a lifetime and be far more non-stick than any teflon surface could ever hope to be.

EDIT - In response to a comment/question that seems to be deleted

Regarding the safety of oven temperatures and the silicone pad at the top of the handle:

I'm pretty sure it's silicone, though I don't see it addressed anywhere in the manual or online.

My silicone portion looks as new as ever after about 2 dozen trips through the oven. All the other silicone tools we own state 500 degrees Fahrenheit as a maximum temperature, so I have a feeling you shouldn't exceed that as an oven temperature. I have used the pan over a 700F direct heat source without any issues as well. I don't feel there are any safety concerns with silicone at temps below 500F in an oven, as we use silicone baking mats that are much thinner material quite often, and there's never any smell or taste from them at any baking temperature.

Some people use a self-clean cycle in the oven to remove a badly damaged layer of seasoning, but I don't think I will ever do this with mine, as those cycles tend to go to 1000F or higher, and I think that would melt or destroy the silicone portion of the handle.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 05:15:04 AM »
A word of caution.  Do not season the pan as much as I did initially.  I really added too many layers initially.  I had an early cook stick due to lack of sufficient oil in the pan. Some of the seasoning has now peeled off.  I continue to cook on it with no problems. The exposed surface is now getting "cook seasoning".  The pan is not pretty anymore. The good news is that it still does a great job when I do my part and maintain the right amount of oil or butter for cooking.

Looking forward to your comments.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 10:06:04 AM »
Cooking pans shouldn't be pretty. LOL
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline hikerman

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 10:12:29 AM »

Agreed Mr Bigg!
Once my pans started looking well used and abused like the typical chef's pans, I enjoyed them much more!

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 10:19:41 AM »

Agreed Mr Bigg!
Once my pans started looking well used and abused like the typical chef's pans, I enjoyed them much more!

It shows character, very clean but not pretty at all!! LOL
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline hikerman

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 10:22:12 AM »

Agreed Mr Bigg!

It shows character, very clean but not pretty at all!! LOL

Yup and much better performance too!

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 04:26:14 PM »
Thanks for all the comments.

One more question what is your favourite size? Or do you have more than one pan?
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 04:32:32 PM »
I have the 12+" fry pan (VERY HEAVY), the 9+" Chef Pan, and the 9+" blue steel crepes pan. I find them all very useful and usable - although it took awhile to learn to make decent crepes...  :-[ :-[
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline hikerman

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 02:55:11 PM »
Quote from: CDN Smoker link=topic=13801.msg188145#msg188145 da1431635174
Thanks for all the comments.

One more question what is your favourite size? Or do you have more than one pan?

Drew I have the 8", 10", and 12". If I could have only one, I'd probably go with the 10" and somehow get the 8" and 12" on my Christmas want list.