Author Topic: BBQ Pants & Knives  (Read 4425 times)

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
BBQ Pants & Knives
« Reply #-1 on: September 08, 2012, 05:31:18 PM »
Some people like to dress the part when cooking, I not being one ;) but maybe someone in the forum might be. I have ordered from Happy chef before and if you get personalized embroidery done they are quite slow but if you just order with no embroidery they are quicker to ship. They have some damascus knives for sale and some good priced knife sets as well.
 BBQ Pants

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: BBQ Pants & Knives
« on: September 08, 2012, 07:03:33 PM »
Thanks for the tip! I am in need of some new knives...Some that will keep a razor sharp edge nicely. Brand ideas anybody?
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 07:37:00 PM »
Victorinox makes a great kitchen knife.

I use a Japanese version of the Shun. The Shun is their American brand. Very hard steel and holds it's edge but not easy to sharpen. Kind of a trade off but wicked sharp when properly done.

Cutco knives are really good but only available through dealers.

Forschner knives are another great choice.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 08:53:49 PM »
Thanks Mike!
Been looking at Shun...and the Ken Onion's. Have Cutco, just want a better handle.

T
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 09:10:41 PM »
The Ken Onion's are beautiful... but do I want to put it on display or use it in my kitchen?

My next set I buy will be the Victorinox ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 10:06:47 PM »
I have one good knife and it is fair at best. It is a one stikman JA henkils probably about 8" X 1-1/8" made in spain  but very sharp and it is my go to knife. My co-worker told me that you can tell the quality of Henkels knives from how many stik men are on the blade . 3 is the best and 1 is lowest quality. My favorite knife has one stikman and all my steakknives have 2 stikmen. Thats all I got to say about that :)

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 07:34:29 AM »
I took several cooing classes recently.  The Sous Chef and I talked about knives.  His recommendation is Hammer Stahl.  Not cheap, but not the most expensive, either.  Check them out at http://www.hammerstahl.com/.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 05:35:56 PM »
Well as far as pants go, I normally cook in whatever pair of grungy shorts I have that I don't mind getting stuff on. When I think it will get messy I put my apron on. It reads "Bubba's Bar & Grill, Home of hot women and cold beer". I'f rom Alabama, what can I say.

I have a set of the one stickman Henckel's knives that work pretty well for me. My favorite knife for working with meat is a vintage Ontario Knife Co  Old Hickory 10" slicing knife. It is high quality carbon steel, gets wicked sharp with a little work and holds an edge forever. I am looking at buying a new set of Ontario knives but they say the new ones are a good bit of work to get a good edge on the the first time, but easy to work with after that.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Ron D

• Fire up the grill or smoker and get cooking
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 06:13:05 PM »
I have had a Henckel's 2 man set (their four star 8 knife set) for 12 years and they are still sharp to this day and I have never ever put them to a stone or on a grinding machine (ie Chef 1000) and never ever will. Those are any knives worst enemy. They or you will ruin the angle of the edge and then the knife will never stay sharp. All you need to keep them sharp is a good quality knives steel and use it regularly just as you see all the butchers use.
As for Chef Pants I wore them for too long and don't need them at home.....plus I look look like crap in checks
The Big Easy
Jenn-Air 5 burner grill
Brinkman Offset smoker
Brinkman Smoke and Go
MES 30 inch

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 06:44:49 PM »
And never put a good knife in a dishwasher!
Ken

Char-Broil The Big Easy

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 07:09:43 PM »
And never put a good knife in a dishwasher!

Very true - my wife put one of my Shun's in the DW awhile back - bent the tip. I did learn one good thing, Shun offers free lifetime sharpening of their knives. Yes, you do have to send them off to Washington (hmmmm.... is this some hippy cat herder at work???) So, there is a cost for postage back and forth - but you are assured the angle will be their unique angle and all will be correct. I sent the damaged paring knife to them and it cam back in great shape (along with a note telling me NOT to put it in the dishwasher!)

I like my Shun's (have fileted a few thumb and fingernails) for kitchen work, but have a couple knives from El Salvador (Condor) that I enjoy for camping and grilling. They are sharp (almost as sharp as my Shuns) hold an edge, easy to hone, and are made for the outdoors - well balanced, strong and stand up to whatever you can imagine. Oh, and they are incredibly inexpensive!

http://www.amazon.com/Condor-Nessmuk-Handle-Leather-Sheath/dp/B003SYYWB8/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1347318245&sr=8-9&keywords=Condor+knives
http://www.amazon.com/Condor-Hudson-8-5-Inch-Walnut-Leather/dp/B003D9RBPW/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1347318347&sr=1-3&keywords=Condor+knives
http://www.amazon.com/Condor-16-Inch-Jungle-Carbon-Leather/dp/B002ZVNOK0/ref=sr_1_10?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1347318347&sr=1-10&keywords=Condor+knives

Cheers,

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 07:18:16 PM »
David, after I found my Ontario Old Hickory 10 inch knife in a box of antique knives we had I have been jonesing for one of their 14 inch carbon steel butcher knives. This thing looks like a freaking pirate cutlass. I know I should probably go with the 10 inch butcher, but size matters.

http://www.knivesplus.com/QN-714-Old-Hickory.HTML

My 10 inch slicing knife is the best cutting knife I have owned.
Ken

Char-Broil The Big Easy

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 08:16:07 PM »
Ken, you are so right! There is just something so right about a big old carbon steel blade - call it a cutlass, call it a machete, but call it mine!

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 08:34:28 PM »
Anybody play with the ceramic blades? Been looking at the Kyocera line.  And Stone River gets good press....
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 03:50:48 PM »
Anybody play with the ceramic blades? Been looking at the Kyocera line.  And Stone River gets good press....

We sell some of them at work, I got one of the shelf to use at one of our employee cookouts and was not impressed with it, not good for tomatoes, OK with meat.
Ken

Char-Broil The Big Easy