Author Topic: Franklin bbq style brisket  (Read 5643 times)

Offline hppzz

Franklin bbq style brisket
« Reply #-1 on: May 26, 2015, 12:47:32 PM »
1st, thanks to all in this forum, been lurking since getting the pbc. I'm a bbq noob and my first brisket was just ok...but after reading 'franklin bbq a meat smoking manifesto', I decided to try it again with his tips. Just did a prime brisket from costco and wanted to  share some thoughts from the book and how I used it in the cook.

1. slather was simply touch of water to keep the brisket tacky. Water based slather won't inhibit bark formation and smoke adsorption that oil based might. 

2. 275 is his preferred temp. This is where really knowing your PBC is key. I use maverick Moniter temps and Knowing how to lower and increase temp by adjusting vents and lid I was able to keep the temps pretty consistent.  Normally for chicken and ribs, I just set it and forget it, but for this I monitored it a bit more.

3. Smoke. Increased smoke by adding chunks of post oak buried in the briquettes and also made a smokebomb with the smaller pieces of oak.

4. Cook thru the stall and wrap when bark is satisfactory. I would say this is the most important thing i did different from my first cook where I wrapped at 166 and bark was underdeveloped. I cooked it past the stall to 180 and bark was deep mahogany in first photo.

5. Wrap with butcher paper. Permeable so Allows for smoke to enter. I actually used parchment. No liquid.

I pulled at 203 (second photo after 1 hr rest) his default temp, but also checked by feel which he goes more into in the book.

Overall really happy with how the brisket turned out and how the PBC performed to recreate the Franklin style brisket. Overall cook time was 7 hours and I used the grate, fat side up. Keep cooking and knowing how your PBC behaves is really key.   

Thanks to all for a successful cook! Btw, if you never had smoked corn on the cob , do it with your next PB cook!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[attachment deleted by admin]

« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 01:30:20 PM by hppzz »

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
Re: Franklinbbq style brisket
« on: May 26, 2015, 01:19:18 PM »
Well thats it....  :P    I'm going for lunch now!
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Franklin bbq style brisket
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 01:56:25 PM »
Looks great!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 01:58:24 PM »
Oh boy! That looks good - welcome from Minnesota. Please keep posting!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 01:59:49 PM »
First off let me welcome you to the best cooking forum on the internet! If you get the chance pop on over to the new
member section and introduce yourself so everyone can welcome you! Brisket looks fantastic and thanks for the
step by step instructions.  Bookmarked!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 02:53:48 PM »
Wow! Another mention of the Costco prime brisket.......I'm sensing a Minnesota government conspiracy to not let us have the good stuff.
Great post. How was the moisture?
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2015, 03:12:56 PM »
I'm sensing a Minnesota government conspiracy to not let us have the good stuff.

There's a shock!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 03:23:10 PM »
I'm sensing a Minnesota government conspiracy to not let us have the good stuff.

There's a shock!

That's what happens Pappy when you vote in a Wrestler as Gov. Dang I watched that all the time growing up ???

Jesse "The Body" Ventura - YouTube

Video for Jesse the Body Ventura▶ 2:19

Apr 22, 2008 - Uploaded by Adorible Adrian
One of "The Body's" first interviews after arriving in the WW
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline hppzz

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 03:24:09 PM »

Wow! Another mention of the Costco prime brisket.......I'm sensing a Minnesota government conspiracy to not let us have the good stuff.
Great post. How was the moisture?

Tender and moist, it was def great.  Costco prime brisket was only $3.60.  Restaurant depot superior angus beef and choice are about the same.

Offline hppzz

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 03:27:11 PM »

Looks great!
Oh boy! That looks good - welcome from Minnesota. Please keep posting!
First off let me welcome you to the best cooking forum on the internet! If you get the chance pop on over to the new
member section and introduce yourself so everyone can welcome you! Brisket looks fantastic and thanks for the
step by step instructions.  Bookmarked!

Thank you all!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 06:44:28 PM »
Great looking brisket. Did you do the salt and pepper mixture Mr. Franklin uses??
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline hppzz

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 08:07:23 PM »

Great looking brisket. Did you do the salt and pepper mixture Mr. Franklin uses??

Yes. Equal parts kosher salt and pepper,  placed into an empty spice shaker applied from at about 1 ft above the brisket for even distribution

Offline hikerman

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 09:12:07 PM »
Welcome!
Very nice cook! Looks like a mighty fine brisket!  :P

Offline SPAM

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 02:19:58 AM »

There's a shock!

That's what happens Pappy when you vote in a Wrestler as Gov. Dang I watched that all the time growing up ???

Jesse "The Body" Ventura - YouTube

Video for Jesse the Body Ventura▶ 2:19

Apr 22, 2008 - Uploaded by Adorible Adrian
One of "The Body's" first interviews after arriving in the WW
Aaahahahaha! Thanks CDN for that trip down memory lane...Mean Gene!!!
Weber Performer
Weber Genesis
Large BGE
PBC

Offline SPAM

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 02:23:56 AM »
Nice lookin brisket HPPZZ! Just did another prime myself this weekend. I use 3 parts pepper to 1 part salt and 1 part granulated garlic. I'm afraid of over salting it. Maybe I will give your 1 to 1 a shot next time.
Weber Performer
Weber Genesis
Large BGE
PBC