Author Topic: Smoking a Pheasant  (Read 2073 times)

Offline Hub

Smoking a Pheasant
« Reply #-1 on: October 10, 2015, 09:44:03 AM »
My barber and his partner are big BBQ fans so you can guess what gets discussed when I go in for a trim.  Today I found out he's going on a one week pheasant hunt in Nebraska next week.  He asked if I'd ever smoked a pheasant and, of course, I haven't.  They are tasty birds but very muscular and stringy without much fat.  It will be tricky to keep any moisture at all and the smoker is likely to add to dryness.  I'm thinking some time on low temp for smoke flavor infusion, injection to add moisture, and then maybe even foiling the bird with a little something added.

Anybody ever smoke a pheasant?  How'd it go?  Recommendations?

I told him I'd do a little research while he's tromping through the fields and maybe be able to tackle one of his birds when he gets back.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
Re: Smoking a Pheasant
« on: October 10, 2015, 10:25:16 AM »
I like this guy recipes  . i did few of his ideas .i did  the smoke duck and goose . both were  good recipes .
hope it will help .

Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 11:17:05 AM »
How about a brine?

Dave
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 12:40:31 PM »
I don't think I ever ate pheasant Hub. They used to be thick here when I was a kid but are all gone now. Like Dave said a brine I would guess and always read for wild game some juniper berries in the brine. Hope yours is good! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Pappymn

Smoking a Pheasant
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 01:24:26 PM »
Make sure you remove all shot gun beebees.....they will break a tooth. I've had them, not cooked by somebody I would consider a great cook. They will get dry. I like the brine idea or injection. Maybe some fatty bacon strips on top.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 02:20:24 PM »
Haven't had pheasant in years and never did try to smoke them. But, I do recall using a lot of GRAVY!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 05:09:27 PM »
My dad used to go to Nebraska to hunt pheasants every fall--my mom was born and raised in NB, they were married there, too.   Anyway, when mom roasted them, she always put bacon strips over the breast and legs.   Cooked low and slow, as I recall, but it's been a LONG time since she did that.    Dad has been dead for over 30 yrs, and my mom for almost 20.  I can't imagine bacon hurting anything.   IF I had some to cook, think I'd brine, then lard them up with bacon, butter and or good ole fashioned lard.   They can be VERY dry, I do remember that. 

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 08:18:57 AM »
I haven't smoked any pheasants.  Too hard to keep lit.

Now that I have used my one "smoking punch line" I'll give you my answer. I actually have 5 or 6 pheasants in my freezer. I may try smoking one of them after brining and possibly wrapping in bacon.  The rest will go towards a batch of pheasant jerky. I have made this before and it is some of the tastiest jerky I have made.  The meat of a pheasant is sweet and takes a teriyaki marinade really well.  I'll have to do a search to see what I used before.  I believe I used a marinade from Tee that turned out great.  I do have a previous post here somewhere.  I'm on the road and getting ready to return home after a big UT win over GA yesterday.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Hub

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 07:55:13 AM »
I haven't smoked any pheasants.  Too hard to keep lit.

Art

Six thousand clowns in the unemployment line, and we have Art  ::)

Seriously, thanks to everyone for the helpful input and suggestions.  Brining makes lots of sense and bacon, of course, is always a winner.  Pheasant jerky also rings since the meat can be so tough.  I'm thinking if my friend brings back lots of birds I'll ask for two and do at least two different approaches.  Whatever happens, I'll post the results.

Hub

Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN