Author Topic: Salt free or low sodium alternatives :(  (Read 509 times)

Offline Paul Hart

Salt free or low sodium alternatives :(
« Reply #-1 on: November 20, 2015, 09:25:50 AM »
Long time no see, guys. Busy summer. Hope everyone is well and still cooking (and breathing)
I'm looking for ideas for salt replacement. Trying to cut back on the sodium for BP reasons, and although I'm fairly successful at trimming it back a LOT, it's boring me to death. I just got some Salt for Life the other day but I haven't come to any conclusions yet as I haven't used it on much. That is the newest version of the mostly potassium with a little salt thrown in but it's done differently. They managed to bond them together instead of mixing them, which helps eliminate the metallic taste that comes with the potassium in the regular mixed versions. Science and such. It was rather expensive at $10, but it's a very large shaker. Like twice the size of normal. This morning I got some stuff that I ordered off Amazon called Table Tasty which gets great reviews and is supposed to taste salty. I opened it immediately and dumped some in my palm and damn, it's quite tasty even like that. And it really does seem like it has some salt in it. So I made some fried eggs and used it on those. I like quite a bit. Not super salty tasting, but they did manage to get it a little salty without any salt whatsoever. The flavor and smell reminds me, oddly enough, of a White Castle. I can see myself using it a lot. Unfortunately it's quite expensive also for a shaker at $5 and then another $4 or so shipping. I heard they sell pounds of it so I may buy a pound if I run through this, which I think I may sooner than later. It's pretty freaking tasty. Very unique for a spice mix.
Anyone else have anything that you have run across that's worth trying, or worth avoiding?
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline hikerman

Re: Salt free or low sodium alternatives :(
« on: November 20, 2015, 11:03:13 AM »
Paul I've been using a product that I swear by, for years. It's called Spike. You can find it in any good health food store.
Lots of flavor and no salt!

Another thing that I do when cooking inside or out, is using lemon juice and substituting it for salt in a recipe.