Author Topic: Practice Turkey in the Oven  (Read 2194 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Practice Turkey in the Oven
« Reply #-1 on: November 20, 2015, 12:52:11 AM »
My wife's family has a tradition - we all congregate at some poor unfortunate family for the holidays... it is is a rotation from the oldest grandchild, nephew, niece, etc. and continues year after year. 40 to 45 relatives show up looking for food and sustenance. This usually works out well (except at Christmas it centers around Swedish meatballs and lutefisk... both are deadly concoctions that must be avoided at all costs...

The major downside at Thanksgiving is the lack of leftovers - yes, when it is our "turn" we get some... but it is years between turns (and there are many other problems when it IS our turn... :) )

So I decided to make some "leftovers" this week. It was a good idea, but with the kids and boyfriends there are almost no leftovers. So will have to do again after Thanksgiving. I had hoped to do this on the PBC or the grill - but the constant rain and wind "blew" that idea away. So, I looked inside. I found an idea on the Baking Steel web site...

http://www.bakingsteel.com/blog/roasting-turkey-on-the-baking-steel

Pre-heat the oven to 450* with the steel on the middle rack

The turkey breast was a standard grocery store breast - already injected with some solution, so I did not brine it - just put it ion the fridge and let it defrost.

I made a compound butter with softened unsalted butter, sage, rosemary, and thyme. (No parsley, sorry Simon, but the fresh stuff looked bad at the store.) Let that chill for a bit.

Chopped a bunch of root veg - carrots, parsnips, turnips, celery, leeks, purple potatoes, sweet potatoes, new potatoes, garlic, red onions, sweet onions, probably some more - whatever was at hand. Tossed them all with EVOO, salt & pepper. Let them get to know each other for a bit while the oven was pre-heating to 450*

Spread the veg mix in a sheet pan (left a handful to stuff the breast.) Placed an inverted Bradley Rack over the veg (a regular cooling rack would work.) Put the turkey breast on the rack. Then cut up the compound butter and pushed the pieces under the skin as far as I could reach, always pulling the skin back down over the breast. The last pieces were placed throughout the veg.

Put the breast on the inverted Bradley Rack over the veg on the pre-heated Baking Steel.

After 30 minutes, rotate the pan and baste the breast. Do this again every 30 minutes for 2 hours - checking temp. Keep going until temp is right and then pull and rest.

I made some turkey gravy and stuffing to go with this along with a can of cranberry sauce (Rocky loves the canned sauce - go figure!)

The turkey took a bit longer than expected and the final meal was a bit rushed as I had a meeting at church... but the pictures catch most of it... it WAS tasty...

[attachment deleted by admin]
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Practice Turkey in the Oven
« on: November 20, 2015, 01:39:09 AM »
Nice job!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 02:28:22 AM »
Nice job David,Ive got 2 for this year,one for PBC,one???

Im 50/50 on the turkey breasts,one was great,the other tasted like it was stored in a salt mine.

LOL,turkey was .57/lb with 25 dollar purchase.8 lbs butter at 2.99,and a loaf of bread later........ ;) :)
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Pappymn

Practice Turkey in the Oven
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 09:22:52 AM »
I basically double everything I am making so I can eat leftovers the rest of the week
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline hikerman

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 12:44:06 PM »
I basically double everything I am making so I can eat leftovers the rest of the week

Pappy I like the way you think buddy! 8)

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 09:02:24 PM »
That looks good David, you are never going to get rid of the boyfriends if you keep cooking like that.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 09:12:14 PM »
That looks good David, you are never going to get rid of the boyfriends if you keep cooking like that.

They do seem well fed and happy........... ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline hikerman

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 12:23:41 AM »
Nice spread David! Yep he does look happy!  ;D

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 12:33:22 AM »
I'm looking to try this one, thanks for posting ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 02:12:55 AM »
Looks great David!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 09:05:02 AM »

Instead of doubling everything we just make so many choices there are always left overs.  Italians can never have too many choices :P
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 03:21:56 PM »
Nice job!