Author Topic: Choucroute Garnie with Sourdough Rye Bread  (Read 691 times)

Offline hikerman

Choucroute Garnie with Sourdough Rye Bread
« Reply #-1 on: December 07, 2015, 02:14:20 PM »
 It was a busy weekend here, cleaning, moving furniture,  re-moving furniture  ::),  and holiday decorating.  All my chores kept me home all day so I got some sourdough rye bread baking, got a large pork butt smoking on the PK, and made up a batch of choucroute garnie for dinner. Sorry ....not many pics due to the busy day!
    Choucroute is French for sauerkraut and garnie is a dressed version. This was a new way for me to make this hearty dish. It was baked in a 200F oven for 5 hours to meld all of the good flavors. A few pieces of bacon got rendered in a large Dutch oven, bacon was crumbled over 3lbs. of drained sauerkraut in a bowl. A dozen halved small red potatoes were browned in the d.o. then a sliced onion was added. All was stirred and then 1/2 the sauerkraut tossed in. A spice mix was made with juniper berries, bay leaves,  pepper, and minced garlic. 1/2  of this went on the sauerkraut. Then the magic starts. 1 lb. of sliced, smoked beef was laid over the kraut, along with 6 smoked bratwurst that were quartered, and 1/2 of a smoked chicken, cut into pieces. This was covered with remaining kraut, and finally a bottle of Fat Tire was poured in, d.o. covered, and put in oven for five hours. Oh the smells!  When done this hearty meal was served with whole grain mustard, horseradish, freshly baked sourdough rye and plenty of German riesling. This is how I will make this dish from now on!
Cheers...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Choucroute Garnie with Sourdough Rye Bread
« on: December 07, 2015, 03:00:48 PM »
That looks outstanding.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Choucroute Garnie with Sourdough Rye Bread
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 03:09:25 PM »
Oh my goodness - that sounds fantastic! I'll have to bookmark and try this one.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pappymn

Choucroute Garnie with Sourdough Rye Bread
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 07:32:19 PM »
Never heard of it. But I really want some
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa