Author Topic: Chicken Tagine with Lemon, Herbs, and Olives  (Read 814 times)

Offline hikerman

Chicken Tagine with Lemon, Herbs, and Olives
« Reply #-1 on: January 10, 2016, 10:05:08 AM »
I'm a big fan of exploring new and different ethnic foods and cultures. What better way of learning about the World's people than reading about their culture and eating the foods they eat? To me it's fascinating, and Mid-Eastern food has always intrigued me.
  With Chef's Catalog going out of business I got a sweet deal on a tagine. This is not a typical tagine with a conical shaped lid, but more of a roaster-type lid. Made of the same clay/ terra cotta. The base of the tagine must soak in water overnight to absorb water. The food is then slow cooked to meld the exotic flavors and bring us to sensory overload!
 To begin a bit of olive oil is added to the base and then I added seven chicken thighs that had been marinating in quartered lemon, (preserved lemon is called for but mine won't be ready for another month, ahh so thus regular lemon) two onions eighthed, 3 garlic cloves crushed, fresh ginger, cilantro, parsley, red pepper, tumeric, safron, and ghee. So after putting the chicken in the tagine the contents of the marinade were placed around the chicken and olives, carrots and lemon peels were added to the mix, along with 1/2 C beef stock. Lid on, heat brought up slowly until a slight simmer is reached. This cooks for 90 minutes.  Chicken is turned over, skin-side down, and cooked another 30 minutes.  Tagine and contents sit for 15 minutes. Then more cilantro, parsley, and sea salt is added. I served this alongside pearly couscous with a bit of curry powder and cilantro mixed in. Wow! The flavors were bursting!                                                Grab a plate there is plenty! ;)   This new toy is going to get plenty of use this Winter for sure!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Re: Chicken Tagine with Lemon, Herbs, and Olives
« on: January 10, 2016, 10:07:19 AM »
Gene,
Not only does that look good, but it sounds great!!  Good job!!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 10:10:14 AM »
That looks and sounds great Gene!!! I always wanted a tangine but never goy one. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 10:42:00 AM »
Great looking meal!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muralboy

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 11:18:46 AM »
That looks awesome.  You, Don and Ahorn should put together an "Eat You Way Around The World" series.
Keep Calm And Smoke On

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 12:12:30 PM »
Gene
This is a good looking dish .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 01:50:01 PM »
That looks and sounds great Gene!!! I always wanted a tangine but never goy one. Don

X2

Look forward to watching your experiences!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #