Author Topic: Seeking advice  (Read 1512 times)

Offline SmokeyRobbinSon

Seeking advice
« Reply #-1 on: January 17, 2016, 10:32:16 AM »
I have been smoking for about 6 years. Recently my Masterbuilt electric smoker died on me. I have been researching my next purchase and found this forum. I am in need of help on whether to purchase another Masterbuilt, a Bradley, or a Traeger pellet smoker. I am hoping to get some sound advice from the forum. I am considering the
Masterbuilt 20070910 30-Inch, an Original Bradley Smoker (with possibly adding a dual probe PID) or a Traeger Tailgater Pro pellet grill. I typically smoke pork butts, brisket, wings, & jerky. I don't cook large quantities of food since it is mainly myself and my daughter eating it. My wife doesn't eat meat. I also sometimes cook a larger portion for family gatherings, but still it is usually no more than 10 lbs of meat. I have a nice gas grill so I would not be using the Traeger for anything other than smoking. Any advice or input is appreciated,  especially from anyone speaking from experience with these 3 smokers. I am looking for the best option for my needs which will be the most economical. Thanks.

Offline Saber 4

Re: Seeking advice
« on: January 17, 2016, 12:55:23 PM »
I have a Bradley 4 rack digital that I like but I have no experience with the others so I will defer to those who have more experience with the other models to advice you. I haven't had any major issues with my Bradley although others have.

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 01:33:22 PM »
If it was my decision i will stick to what i am used and buy an MES with a glass .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline Bigfish8

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 10:24:25 AM »
You have a lot of experience with an electric smoker and apparently you were happy with the quality of the food it produced.  If you go with a pellet cooker, for your situation, you will not gain much over an electric smoker, IMHO!  Both pellet grills and electrics must be plugged into an electrical outlet.  One offers no more convenience over the other for slow cooking and smoke flavor requires wood chips in the electric and a smoke tube in a pellet grill.  Pellet grills are more versatile as total outdoor grills than is an electric but truly offer no advantage as a low and slo cooker. 

Since you have been happy with an electric I would recommend you take a look at Cookshack.  I do not own one but have several friends that do and they love the quality. 

Good luck with your decision.

Ken
Grill Dome XL
Weber 22" & 26" Kettle
Grillman 2' X 3" Stainless Gas Grill
Grillman 2' X 3' Black Steel Gas Grill
Stainless Steel "Big Poppa" Drum Smoker
Blaz'n Grand Slam Pellet Grill

Offline muralboy

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 10:45:54 AM »
Big offers some good advise and thoughts.  I am a pellet smoker guy and love the convenience and versatility being able to cook low and slow as well as high temps.  If you wish you could do more consider looking at something different.  But if the electric smoker fits your lifestyle and types of cooks, and doesn't leave you going "I wish I could do...", then stay with what you like.
Keep Calm And Smoke On

Offline Hub

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 10:58:10 AM »
Just thinkin' . . .  I'm a huge advocate of pellet cookery but if you like heavy smoke you'll be disappointed.  New Traegers are not the best overall values in the market, either and there are several competitors that work better and equal the price.  If you like electric smokers, Cookshack makes the best ones.

Also thinkin' . . . If all you're going to do is use it for smoking, why not save a bunch of money and buy a Weber Smoky Mountain?  Maybe even a PBC?  There's a small learning curve but you'll get ultimate flexibility and capability. WSM's and PBC's turn out some fantastic groceries.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 11:31:31 AM »
Have been smoking for years with my CB grills and the old SMK attachment.  Getting older and lazier, wanting more convenience, I spent about two months reading reviews on electric smokers--looked at CB's newer ones and LOTS of Masterbuilt ones.    Finally ended up with a 30" Masterbuilt with a glass door.    Have only used it twice (used Christmas money to get it).   Don't recall the model number, but got a better deal by continually checking--ended up with a better model, including a probe--thru Amazon.   Damaged packaging, but unit guaranteed to be A OK, for about 40. bucks less than if I bought it in perfect condition.    SO FAR, SO GOOD.   Was going to try some baby backs today, BUT the wind is blowing a gale and my allergies are already bad enough.   Going to stay put inside! 

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 11:41:11 AM »
Sams Club has the 40" Master Built for $329 with the leg kit...   
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 12:20:59 PM »
As everyone knows, I'm a big fan of Webers - have four of 'em and it's all I cook on.

Like Hub said, the WSM is a good choice and deserves to be considered.  It's versatile, easy to learn, and has a load of accessories if you want to do more with it.  That being said, Kettle/Performers are even more so.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC