Author Topic: Next Cook Attempt - Pulled Pork  (Read 5482 times)

Offline Kona

Re: Next Cook Attempt - Pulled Pork
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2016, 07:53:30 PM »
Time to rest...

Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline hikerman

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2016, 08:01:53 PM »
That's looking tasty! :P

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2016, 08:47:18 PM »
Looks good. How did it turn out?
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline Kona

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2016, 08:59:51 PM »
wow this was frigging awesome! Definitely a crispy bark, I really couldn't tell any real difference using molasses instead of the yellow mustard before the dry rub. It's friggin juicy and has a nice smoke ring with a good wood flaver from the Stubbs. I'll probably try wrapping next time just to see the difference.

Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2016, 04:02:32 AM »
Kona, that pulled pork looks delicious with exceptional bark.

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2016, 05:03:33 AM »
beautiful pork. 
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2016, 11:00:57 AM »
It is looking good but when it gets to the pull able stage I would worry that it might come loose from those hooks. You might want to install the grate for safety...
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TexasRob

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2016, 12:31:13 PM »
Looks fantastic!!

Was wondering if anyone used the grate as a safety net when cooking pulled pork.  Does anyone use an injection to the butt/shoulder prior to hanging? Does anyone spritz during the cook?

I think when the time comes for me to do mine, I might try to buy the Kingsford Apple briquettes and use some chunks or chunk. I have been making mental notes from reading this board that when using wood with the PBC, use it sparingly vs. my other types of cookers.
MasterForge
KJBJ
WSM 18.5
PBC

Thermopens
Maverick ET-732
BBQ Guru DigiQ

Offline Kona

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2016, 01:24:42 PM »
Looks fantastic!!

Was wondering if anyone used the grate as a safety net when cooking pulled pork.  Does anyone use an injection to the butt/shoulder prior to hanging? Does anyone spritz during the cook?

I think when the time comes for me to do mine, I might try to buy the Kingsford Apple briquettes and use some chunks or chunk. I have been making mental notes from reading this board that when using wood with the PBC, use it sparingly vs. my other types of cookers.

I had asked about using the grate for safety for those cooks that the meat would hang the entire time and go without wrapping. I didn't use any injection or spritz (I used to on my electric smoker). The butt came out fantastic without any of that. If you can get your hands on some Stubbs Charcoal Briquettes I highly suggest trying those, I really think it adds a nice wood flavor over the kingsford. I just threw a few apple chips on the hot coals as I hung the meat
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2016, 02:41:50 AM »
Good looking PP
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline SNIPERFX

« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2016, 12:23:46 PM »
wrap at 160 degrees, add some liquid, ginger ale, beer, pineapple juice, apple juice etc... you get the idea.  then put on grate til 200 degrees.  Wrap in beach towel, and put it in a faux cambro for 2 hours.  pull bone out, sauce and serve!  You will love it....
DEFCON 4!

Offline TexasRob

« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2016, 02:22:08 PM »
wrap at 160 degrees, add some liquid, ginger ale, beer, pineapple juice, apple juice etc... you get the idea.  then put on grate til 200 degrees.  Wrap in beach towel, and put it in a faux cambro for 2 hours.  pull bone out, sauce and serve!  You will love it....

Sniper...after it has reached the 200 mark wrapped in foil with beverage of choice, do you just take it and wrap in a beach towel to a cooler or do you take it out and put it in clean foil, as not to have it sit in the liquid for 2 hrs? 

I have heard letting it sit for 2 hrs in that liquid will kill the bark, make it soft. I have also heard that it's best to keep it in the same foil and let it rest in that liquid that was used to get to the 200 mark. Curious on your thoughts...Thanks
MasterForge
KJBJ
WSM 18.5
PBC

Thermopens
Maverick ET-732
BBQ Guru DigiQ