Author Topic: Brine Pork Ribs?  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Kona

Brine Pork Ribs?
« Reply #-1 on: April 28, 2016, 02:10:07 PM »
Has anyone brined their pork ribs? If so was it worth it? I was going to experiment this weekend and see
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline Hub

Re: Brine Pork Ribs?
« on: April 28, 2016, 02:21:00 PM »
I almost screamed "NO" but you can try  :o.

First, read fine print on the label on the ribs you buy.  Most ribs from grocery stores are already packed in a mild brine solution designed to extend shelf life.  This does two more things:  Makes further brining risky and makes the ribs themselves sometimes cook up with a "hammy" flavor.

Ribs purchased absolutely fresh from a butcher's case or at a restaurant supply store are usually not "extended" this way and might be brined.  But why?  Good ribs become very tender and stay moist when properly cooked.  The brining will make them less predictable as to ultimate texture.

Unlike some poultry, which benefits from added moisture and potentially more pleasant texture when brined, ribs are less likely to benefit from brining. 

I'm trying not to be negative and I don't want to stifle your experimentation, but want you to know that the way you cook the ribs will have a lot more impact on them than any brining.  Many, many great recipes have been proffered here and none have brines included.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Kona

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 02:27:22 PM »
I had read this article and was curious if it's something many have done with or without success. I've never heard of it before up until reading it...

https://grillinfools.com/blog/2011/10/07/to-brine-or-not-to-brine-that-is-the-question/

Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 02:58:20 PM »
As Hub stated if the ribs are packaged in a solution then brining is not a good idea. Fresh ribs are worth a try though...
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 03:51:55 PM »
I did back at the first gathering in Georgia.   we were sent about 200 lbs of pork and all of it was fresh except the bacon. 

I brinned ribs for 24 hrs and they were good, nothing  to brag about.   Old Dave tried them and like the texture but they weren't sweet enough for him.      These were SRG  ribs I cooked because I wanted Old Dave to give me his opinion on ribs cooked in infrared vs. low and slow
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 04:34:08 PM »
  I have brined them a few times way back when but don't any more.
 A good dry rub allowed to sit on them a few hours to overnight works really well.  And good ribs have enough fat to keep them moist.
 With that said, Brine will add flavor.  Careful with the salt... 
  I think you should brine a small batch just so you know. Half brined and half not.  They aren't expensive enough not to try it for yourself.

If you like "Hot" ribs, brine them in Swamp Fire are any crawfish mix pretty much.  It'll put the kick in'em... (Again watch the salt)

Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 05:34:13 PM »
The only thing I do extra is the Famous Dave's method of ribs. Sprinkle your ribs with black pepper and dehydrated onion. Then pack them heavy with dark brown sugar. Wrap em up tight and fridge them overnight. In the morning, unwrap them and wipe off the sludge and rub with your favorite dry rub. You can thank me later  ;) ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Kona

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 06:17:52 PM »
The only thing I do extra is the Famous Dave's method of ribs. Sprinkle your ribs with black pepper and dehydrated onion. Then pack them heavy with dark brown sugar. Wrap em up tight and fridge them overnight. In the morning, unwrap them and wipe off the sludge and rub with your favorite dry rub. You can thank me later  ;) ;)

I checked out is method, he also soaks his ribs in italian dressing before doing the procedure you mentioned, have you tried that?
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 06:24:57 PM »

I checked out is method, he also soaks his ribs in italian dressing before doing the procedure you mentioned, have you tried that?

I have and I like the end result better without the dressing  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 07:36:45 PM »
I did some Ham BBRibs last summer http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=14547.msg195589#msg195589
I said in the post they came out too salty. Not sure if I would try them again or not. Your welcome to try it though :) Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Kegger

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 02:26:26 AM »
As others have stated, store bought 'enhanced ribs' aside ....

I prefer low and slow ribs which I do not brine, but I can think of a couple of reasons to brine ribs: hotter faster cooks, flavor brining, or if one likes the hammy texture extended brining can produce.

I'm talking about a brine salt level of 4%:
1 US gallon water
1/2C table salt (densities vary on other salts, lookup online for equivalencies)
1/2C sugar optional but recommended

If cooking indirect above 250ºF or grilling direct above perhaps 300ºF then I could see a 2 hour brine possibly being helpful to the end result, but I haven't tried it.

If the hammy texture is desired brine at that salt level for 12 hours or more.

For flavor brining add triple plus the amount of seasoning you would use if seasoning the meat directly. Capsicum (hot stuff) and other oils will not be drawn into the meat by brine but may accumulate on the meat surface.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 02:52:06 AM by Kegger »

Offline Kona

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 07:34:08 AM »
I posted over in the Pit Barrel Section, I'm doing some rib taste testing this weekend and making 3 half slabs of st louis cut. I'm doing my own recipe that's been tried and true, famous dave's recipe and one from amazingribs "last meal ribs: the best ribs you'll ever eat". For my ribs and the amazingribs, I did what was suggested on amazingribs.com and did a dry brine and sprinkled some kosher salt on the slabs and wrapped for about 4 hours. I've never heard of that before so giving it a shot. The Famous daves recipe, I soaked them in italian dressing for 4 hours per the recipe, then coated them with black pepper, brown sugar and onion flake and wrapped over night. I cleaned them off this morning and applied the rub from the recipe and rewrapped for a bit. I have two homemade sauces which are outstanding and I'll be using for the test as well
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 12:14:11 PM »
I posted over in the Pit Barrel Section, I'm doing some rib taste testing this weekend and making 3 half slabs of st louis cut. I'm doing my own recipe that's been tried and true, famous dave's recipe and one from amazingribs "last meal ribs: the best ribs you'll ever eat". For my ribs and the amazingribs, I did what was suggested on amazingribs.com and did a dry brine and sprinkled some kosher salt on the slabs and wrapped for about 4 hours. I've never heard of that before so giving it a shot. The Famous daves recipe, I soaked them in italian dressing for 4 hours per the recipe, then coated them with black pepper, brown sugar and onion flake and wrapped over night. I cleaned them off this morning and applied the rub from the recipe and rewrapped for a bit. I have two homemade sauces which are outstanding and I'll be using for the test as well

I love how the Famous Daves method comes out...whenever I do it, I use peach wood.....good eats....... 8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 08:48:18 AM »
I have brined ribs before but not in the traditional sense. More of a marinade I suppose. Like Kegger said above, if it's already :treated/enhanced with a sodium solution, it's pretty much brined from the packing plant. I have added flavors through brining/marinating but usually nothing containing salt since it's already "enhanced". The last ribs I did I marinated overnight in root beer and they were some pretty good ribs. I did half of them w/o sauce for the wife. She approved!

I think brining, whether it be a wet or dry method, does enhance meats. I've actually brined a whole packer brisket before. It was a test to see if I liked it better than not brining. It was juicy as could be but I didn't like the flavor I got out of it. I will, at some point, try it again but I have for the most part (stubbornly) learned that once you get it the way you like it, leave it alone. I have to remind myself of this constantly. It drives my Wife nuts but pretty much anything I do does that so............:P
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 10:08:46 AM »
I have had great success with ribs, St louis stye in the TBE..used S&P & gahhlick  hanging in the center of the chamber from a rotisserie rod, cooked them till about 165º, then wrapped in foil till done, they were fabulous the 1st time so I never changed the formula. I sauce a little after because my tummy can't handle the bbq sauce after surgery. They were tender and almost fall off the bone.  I like to taste the meat.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron