Author Topic: Thermapen MK4 vs. Maverick PT-100BBQ  (Read 2424 times)

Offline RajenCajun85

Thermapen MK4 vs. Maverick PT-100BBQ
« Reply #-1 on: April 30, 2016, 07:48:23 PM »
I just recently bought a Rec Tec 680.  I am now on the hunt for a good thermometer.  The Thermapen and Maverick have really good reviews and some bad.  I can't make my mind up so I'm stuck between the Thermapen MK4 and the Maverick pt-100bbq.  At this time, they both cost the same price $99. 

Any help would be very appreciative. 

Thanks. 
RajenCajun85

Offline tailfeathers

• To blessed to be distressed!
Re: Thermapen MK4 vs. Maverick PT-100BBQ
« on: April 30, 2016, 08:05:33 PM »
I use a Maverick ET733 to remotely monitor meat IT and pit temp, (or two pieces of meat) and I use a thermapen for "instant read" when the mav shows I'm close. Both are very useful. If I could only have one I would stick with the dual probe Maverick.
Bradley 6 rack digital w/ 900w mod
auber pid
Rec Tec 680
Ducane gasser
weber kettles
Anova precision SV
Kitchenaide mixer/chef's choice grinder
LEM stuffer
Vacmaster VP112 chamber sealer
A-maze-n Qmatz/tubes
Cabela's 10" slicer
Cook-Air grill
Cabela's 80L dehydrator

Offline tailfeathers

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 08:06:42 PM »
Congrats on the RecTec, I've got one and LOVE it!!!
auber pid
Rec Tec 680
Ducane gasser
weber kettles
Anova precision SV
LEM stuffer
A-maze-n Qmatz/tubes
Cabela's 10" slicer
Cook-Air grill
Cabela's 80L dehydrator

Offline RajenCajun85

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 08:36:26 PM »
I use a Maverick ET733 to remotely monitor meat IT and pit temp, (or two pieces of meat) and I use a thermapen for "instant read" when the mav shows I'm close. Both are very useful. If I could only have one I would stick with the dual probe Maverick.
I appreciate the good information.  I've seemed to hit a bad stream of luck with meat thermometers and probes.  I had the Igrill2 and I was actually impressed with this device.  The  Bluetooth was horrible and just made it difficult to use.  Then, I went to the  Maverick ET-733 and had issues with all three probes.  It's possible the Maverick I had was a lemon.  I'm reconsidering giving the Maverick another chance.  Not real familiar with all the products out there.  Some are just overpriced in my opinion. 
Any issues with your Thermapen?

Offline Pappymn

Thermapen MK4 vs. Maverick PT-100BBQ
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 08:55:29 PM »
You can not go wrong buying anything from Thermoworks. Great company that stands behind their products. My first thermapen was way out of warranty, I emailed them as it was behaving a bit odd. They asked me to mail it to them to test it. They ended up sending me a brand new one.
You can also send it in for a small charge for any repair and recalibration. I have the Mk4 as well and really like the updated features.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 09:46:55 AM »
I appreciate the good information.  I've seemed to hit a bad stream of luck with meat thermometers and probes.  I had the Igrill2 and I was actually impressed with this device.  The  Bluetooth was horrible and just made it difficult to use.  Then, I went to the  Maverick ET-733 and had issues with all three probes.  It's possible the Maverick I had was a lemon.  I'm reconsidering giving the Maverick another chance.  Not real familiar with all the products out there.  Some are just overpriced in my opinion. 
Any issues with your Thermapen?

Probes on all of these remote thermometers are a subject of consternation. BUT - if you seal the area where the wire enters the hard metal probe itself (best done when they are new - and after you clean them with a Q-tip and alcohol )- using high temperature RTV silicone - AND....never - ever wash them by immersing them in water - you may find they last longer. Granted, I do not know if that has anything to do with your problems with them, I am only sharing what has been my "learning curve" and helped me keep them working longer.
As for brand preference. Compare the features, such as size of screen, battery type and the availability of those, etc.They both are perfectly capable of providing you with fast reads of temperature, and at accuracy levels that are surely close enough to perfect that you will be happy.
If you have not done so - let me suggest that you subscribe to both brands e-mail lists. They both have sales often.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline tailfeathers

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 12:54:26 PM »
Never one single problem with my thermapen. Never had any problem with my ET733 either, other than the probes supplied are to short so I ordered a set of 6' probes from A-Maze-N. Now I have spares if I ever have a problem, although they are pretty short.
auber pid
Rec Tec 680
Ducane gasser
weber kettles
Anova precision SV
LEM stuffer
A-maze-n Qmatz/tubes
Cabela's 10" slicer
Cook-Air grill