Author Topic: How many of you have ordered a SRF (or similar) Brisket?  (Read 3273 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
How many of you have ordered a SRF (or similar) Brisket?
« Reply #-1 on: May 19, 2016, 10:53:43 AM »
After eating at Franklin BBQ last week I have been thinking about ordering a SRF Wagyu Packer to try out but wanted to know if any of y'all have done so and what did you think? Would you do it again?
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
I did last year. It was one of SRF Kobe/Wagyu briskets. Set me back about 130.00.  For me never again. Maybe it is my smoke stained taste buds, but I think choice tastes better. It cooked faster and was probably probe tender around 175 degrees. We just didn't care for the flavor. The choice brisket point I did last week for burnt ends tasted better to us.

Which reminds me: I owe you a brisket cook in the Broil King Offset.  ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline RG

Re: How many of you have ordered a SRF (or similar) Brisket?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 12:05:54 PM »
I did last year. It was one of SRF Kobe/Wagyu briskets. Set me back about 130.00.  For me never again. Maybe it is my smoke stained taste buds, but I think choice tastes better. It cooked faster and was probably probe tender around 175 degrees. We just didn't care for the flavor. The choice brisket point I did last week for burnt ends tasted better to us.

Which reminds me: I owe you a brisket cook in the Broil King Offset.  ;)

I don't know why, but I'll take it, lol!!! ;) :)

I have made some pretty good and not so good briskets over the years but my lord that stuff at Franklin has got me wanting to figure out what he does because it's righteous!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 12:08:09 PM »
The Franklin brisket is a mystery to me.

Real Wood......we have all done that.

Offset (reverse flow or standard) we can do that

rub (salt and pepper) no problem

I figure it is the grade/source where he gets em from....or some little secret he aint telling ::)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline RG

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 12:32:37 PM »
The Franklin brisket is a mystery to me.

Real Wood......we have all done that.

Offset (reverse flow or standard) we can do that

rub (salt and pepper) no problem

I figure it is the grade/source where he gets em from....or some little secret he aint telling ::)

He's not telling the whole truth about that just salt and pepper rub dealio ;)

John Lewis at la Barbecue used to work for Aaron and he says that he has never used just S&P in a brisket rub, including while working at Franklin.

You can read about it here : http://www.tmbbq.com/interview-john-lewis-of-la-barbecue/

He tells you how he does it in the comments below the article. I bet that's close to what Franklin does.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 01:28:18 PM »
That is a great read...thanks  8)

Kind of reminds me back in my pipe smoking days.....tobacconists would rather take their recipes to the grave than share them. My good friend and tobacconist passed away in 2006. For the life of me I could not find any blends that were close to what Bill used to make for me. I quit pipe smoking because of it.......... :(
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline RG

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 06:37:43 PM »
Alright Kiddos, got me a SRF Briskie ordered. I will see how it goes. I won't have it until Wednesday so I am shooting for a Saturday night smoke. Now I just need some post oak!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 06:45:58 PM »
Fruitawood has Texas Post Oak  8)

Which cooker you gonna use?
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline RG

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 06:48:42 PM »
Fruitawood has Texas Post Oak  8)

Which cooker you gonna use?

Well, it may taboo but I do believe that the SI is going to get the nod. I like my Kegs just fine and may use one of them but I do like the clean smoke I get from the SI, you know what I am talking about but the others maybe not so much ;)

The Pellet Poopers are out of the question. Not a fan of brisket or butts on them. Just my personal preference.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 06:53:49 PM »
The SI will do a great job  8)

Give me a couple weeks and I will do one in the Off-set  :)

We will show this bunch (as if they don't already  8)) how to do a brisket  :) :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Pappymn

How many of you have ordered a SRF (or similar) Brisket?
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 07:02:42 PM »
Me thinks The Smoke is up to something. Might need a Dr. Phil intervention
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2016, 07:37:20 PM »
The Turtle ordered a SRF brisket and had it shipped to the Fall Gathering in Augusta several years ago.  It cooked way to fast.  Turtle almost did't get any because we were sampling it before he arrived.  He did get to sample it.  It was really good.  Very moist and tender.  The evaporation factor on that brisket was extremely high.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline RG

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 07:44:25 PM »
I will smoke it with oak and will wrap it in pink butcher paper at about 150° to 160° and start checking it around 190° for tenderness. Should be fun!

The last brisket I did was a choice packer. I used the method John Lewis described in that article. Mixture of pickle juice and mustard applied to the brisket and made the rub as he described. It was good. I also inject with Butcher's Prime or Fab- B Lite but on this one, I am going naked!! ;) :P

Offline RG

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2016, 09:07:41 PM »
I've decided to also smoke another brisket just to compare. I'll throw a wally world choice packer on one of the kegs, same prep, same procedure, same wood. I am weird like that I guess. I just want to see if my Wife and Son (Daughter is weird, she doesn't eat meat for crying out LOUD!!! UGH!!!) can tell which is which. Should be fun!

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 01:21:43 AM »
I have purchased (ouch) and cooked many of those briskets in bbq competitions and do think they are usually better than the standard run of the mill pieces of meat. However, at the present time, Costco is selling their Prime briskets at a great price and I think they are just as good for way less money.

Dave
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts