Author Topic: Pellet Firepot (Burnpot) Stainless gauge 10 vs 14?  (Read 2326 times)

Offline BlackC5

Pellet Firepot (Burnpot) Stainless gauge 10 vs 14?
« Reply #-1 on: September 08, 2016, 08:49:53 PM »
Is it true the Rec Tec RT-300 Mini and RT-680 pellet grills have a thicker,10 gauge stainless steel firepot versus 14 gauge stainless in the MAK 1 and 2 Stars?  I know this is a nit picky issue, one I just noticed, since every other spec between these two manufacturers appears to heavily favor the MAK products.  For the difference in money, I am just surprised the firepot in the MAK's are not at least 10 gauge stainless too.  Besides thickness, is there much difference between 10 and 14 gauge and longevity for the firepot?

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
Re: Pellet Firepot (Burnpot) Stainless gauge 10 vs 14?
« on: September 08, 2016, 09:28:02 PM »
Basically 10 gauge is 1/8 in & 14 gauge is 1/16 in.

New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline stalag

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 09:38:02 PM »
It also depends on the material that makes up the fire pot.  What type of steel is it? The type of steel is far more critical than is the thickness.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 10:55:00 PM »
Do not know. I own both - and have never had an issue with "firepot durability". But I *DO* love the new FlashFire Ignition in the MAK....faster up to temp - and the igniter is now NOT in the firepot.

There are parts that benefit from being thicker - and some that it just does not matter.  Not sure that it maters for the firepot.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline stalag

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 01:07:59 PM »
Do not know. I own both - and have never had an issue with "firepot durability". But I *DO* love the new FlashFire Ignition in the MAK....faster up to temp - and the igniter is now NOT in the firepot.

There are parts that benefit from being thicker - and some that it just does not matter.  Not sure that it matters for the firepot.

I will expand.  Different alloys have different resistance to corrosion.  Also different alloys have different thermal characteristics.  Given this, it is much harder to say whether or not if thickness is important.  As long as the temperature is maintained in the unit, I would say don't worry about how thick the metal in the firepot is.  More critical would be the durability of the unit as a whole.

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 01:50:07 PM »
Hey everyone!   Just checked here with the shop, and the MAK firepots are made of 16 gauge 304 stainless steel. 

After three years working for MAK, I can't think of a single instance of anyone having any issues with the firepot warping, degrading, etc. 
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline stalag

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 02:04:04 PM »
Hey everyone!   Just checked here with the shop, and the MAK firepots are made of 16 gauge 304 stainless steel. 

After three years working for MAK, I can't think of a single instance of anyone having any issues with the firepot warping, degrading, etc.
304 stainless is a very corrosion resistant alloy and as such, is used in many applications.  This would be a standard to look for.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 02:17:43 PM »
I will expand.  Different alloys have different resistance to corrosion.  Also different alloys have different thermal characteristics.  Given this, it is much harder to say whether or not if thickness is important.  As long as the temperature is maintained in the unit, I would say don't worry about how thick the metal in the firepot is.  More critical would be the durability of the unit as a whole.

I agree with what Kevin says wholeheartedly!

I see no signs of any fatigue in my fire pot, and I can't recall ever hearing of anyone ever having a firepot in their MAK fail.

Part of the reason for the price difference is that overall the metals used in the MAK's are higher grade than in the Rec-Tec.  On a MAK the parts that are not 304 stainless are aluminized steel with a 1200° powder coat finish, so a MAK will virtually never rust.  Even the screws used in a MAK are are machined Stainless steel! 

MAKs are more versatile, best controller, and with the full upper rack, it will double the cook space.

Simply put, there are no corners cut in a MAK!

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 03:31:32 PM »
Just to add my Traeger fired Pellet SRG is showing wear not enough to replace it yet but there is wear/rust due to the heat.  looks like another year or two then I'll have to decide on what to do with it. 

My Rec-Tec looks new so happy happy!!!   :D :D :D :D
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline BlackC5

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 11:18:13 AM »
Thank you everyone for all the replies.  My question was "only" for the purpose of educating me about the burnpot gauge thickness I just noticed.  I didn't think about the type of stainless metal used and how thickness may or may not be affected and I learned something.  I meant nothing at all negative about the 10 vs 14 or 16 gauge stainless used by respective manufacturers.  The fact that all my pellet grill choices use stainless, in part or total is already a benefit of purchase price.  I am sold on a MAK 1 or 2 Star but still made myself a spreadsheet comparing every specification, component, price, gauge thickness, what accessories were available, what rubs, sauce, pellets were or were not included and shipping costs for several grills.  They are all similar yet individually unique and different.  MAK, Memphis, Yoder, Rec Tec, Fast Eddy's, Blazin', Green Mountain, Traeger, Camp Chef, etc, etc.  If I was Donald Trump, I would buy one of each LOL.  I am going with MAK but my spreadsheet has not made my choice as easy as I thought it would, if that makes any sense.  Will post again when I have ordered my choice.  Thanks again everyone, for answering my gauge question.

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 11:33:37 AM »
I was just in the exact same boat as you about pellet grills. Thought I was leaning this way, then started looking at that one, then this one caught my eye.......oh, komodos..........

Settled on pulling the trigger on a MAK 1 start that I'm hoping will be here next week! Don't think you can go wrong with any of the higher end major players, just depends on what you define as value and how you think available options will play into how you will use the smoker. Good luck and let us know what you choose.
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s
Weber 22" kettle w/slow-n-sear

Offline Pappymn

Pellet Firepot (Burnpot) Stainless gauge 10 vs 14?
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2016, 06:21:24 PM »
You will never regret choosing a Mak. Guaranteed
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2016, 07:23:10 PM »
Thank you everyone for all the replies.  My question was "only" for the purpose of educating me about the burnpot gauge thickness I just noticed.  I didn't think about the type of stainless metal used and how thickness may or may not be affected and I learned something. I meant nothing at all negative about the 10 vs 14 or 16 gauge stainless used by respective manufacturers. The fact that all my pellet grill choices use stainless, in part or total is already a benefit of purchase price.  I am sold on a MAK 1 or 2 Star but still made myself a spreadsheet comparing every specification, component, price, gauge thickness, what accessories were available, what rubs, sauce, pellets were or were not included and shipping costs for several grills.  They are all similar yet individually unique and different.  MAK, Memphis, Yoder, Rec Tec, Fast Eddy's, Blazin', Green Mountain, Traeger, Camp Chef, etc, etc.  If I was Donald Trump, I would buy one of each LOL.  I am going with MAK but my spreadsheet has not made my choice as easy as I thought it would, if that makes any sense.  Will post again when I have ordered my choice.  Thanks again everyone, for answering my gauge question.

NEVER be worried about that. We believe that the membership drives the discussion - not even our sponsors, or other manufacturers are  going to change that. And as long as it is done in a respectful, and positive manner...even product shortcomings - or perceived product shortcomings are fair game for discussion aimed at a positive outcome. Quality manufacturers know that their greatest value is in listening to the customer, and learning how to improve or address anything that even appears as less than high quality.

Your questions are always welcomed and will not be used to make you feel uncomfortable.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401