Author Topic: Cartridge Free InkJet Printing  (Read 1166 times)

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
Cartridge Free InkJet Printing
« Reply #-1 on: October 28, 2016, 02:14:21 PM »
Let me first say that I do NOT have a horse in this race but over the years I have paid a ton of $$ for not only InkJet printers but ink cartridges. I don't need to tell anyone how expensive ink cartridges are. Let's face it ... the printers are relatively cheap but the ink cartridges are not.

If this post in inappropriate for this forum then please remove it ...

I'm not going to badmouth HP cause I've owned and used their products (PCs, monitors, printers, etc) for years. For the most part they have performed great for me. I have however gone through quite a few of their inkjet printers. Of course most if not all of their printers use different ink cartridges so when a printer failed I usually wound up with expensive ink cartridges I could not use.

So last week when another printer failed (print head issue this time) I decided to search and see what printer options are available these days. I was skeptical when I found an all-in-one (printer/scanner/copier) WiFi printer that has Cartridge-Free printing and comes with up to 2 years of ink in the box. Comes with enough ink to print up to 4,000 black/6,500 color pages ... No way I said ...

Way!! If you're in the market for a new inkjet printer or if and when your existing printer fails you might want to take a look at the Epson Expression ET-2550 Eco Tank All-in-One Supertank Printer. It has refillable ink tanks and the refills for every color (black, cyan, magenta, yellow) are about $13 each.

I've been using the printer for a little over a week now with wonderful results. For our printing needs this printer does the job and I really like that I can refill my own ink and not have to pay a ton of $$ for new cartridges.
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline Tailgating is my game

Re: Cartridge Free InkJet Printing
« on: October 28, 2016, 02:31:13 PM »
Great post Thanks
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 03:49:34 PM »
Thanks and filed away for use when needed.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 04:50:21 PM »
Pete, thanks for the write-up.  I have been looking into those new printers, so this is helpful!

When I was still working at the computer shop, our Rep used to tell us that  HP basically breaks even on the printer because the ink is where they make their money. 
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Pappymn

Cartridge Free InkJet Printing
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 04:55:28 PM »
Pete, thanks for the write-up.  I have been looking into those new printers, so this is helpful!

When I was still working at the computer shop, our Rep used to tell us that  HP basically breaks even on the printer because the ink is where they make their money.
It's the razor and blade theory. Give you the razor and then kill you on the blades
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 01:37:14 AM »
Just do a search for ink for your printer model #. There are lots of companies with cheaper ink. I have an Epson R260 photo printer. It takes 6 different colors. I buy a pack of 24 cartridges for under $50 Canadian. The quality is identical. I get mine from a company in Vancouver. No filling or anything, just pop in and print.
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 10:09:53 AM »
Printers are so cheap that honestly I have replaced my actual printer more than the cartridges.

My last printer I bought I paid $50 shipped on Amazon and it came with printer cartridges of course.

To buy those cartridges separately cost more then a new printer lol

Technology moves so quickly that a printer is outdated in 6 months.

Sounds like a better option than the disposable ones they have been selling us :thumbup:
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 10:45:24 AM »
Thanks Pete, looks like this will be my next printer. I swear by Epson printers. I researched the inks and Epson ink is the only one that is archival quality, should last almost forever. That is important to me saving my genealogy and photos. If it's not important to you then buy cheaper inks.

The print head on Epson are in the printer so you need to use. If it sets too long the nozzles could plug. I have had to run mine through a cleaning cycle a few times after setting too long. HP printers have a print head on each cartridge so that makes it more expensive to buy. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline jjjonz

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 06:18:23 PM »
Thanks Pete. I am about ready for a new printer.
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]