Author Topic: South Carolina Hash  (Read 2517 times)

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
Re: South Carolina Hash
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2017, 06:24:14 PM »
I posted earlier about hash that I had at a local BBQ place in Johnston, Georgia, and I do not know what meat they used, but it sure was good.  I have done some searches and find that most of the places use pork butt and beef meat, not organs.  It looks like the old methods did use organ meat, probably because they used all of the animal.  I found a Sconyers  recipe from August which used potatoes, and a South Carolina one from Big Reds BBQ which used a lot of onions.  There appears to be a lot of local variations just like BBQ sauces.  It also looks like they cook it for a long time which makes competitions seem difficult.  I am going to try one of the recipes that I found using beef and pork meat in a slow cooker, and see what happens.

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 11:15:12 AM »
For fun or maybe I have nothing to do I looked it up

Hash (food) - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_(food)
Hash is a dish consisting of diced or chopped meat, potatoes, and spices that are mixed together and then cooked either alone or with other ingredients such as onions. The name is derived from the French verb hacher (to chop).

www.recipetips.com/glossary-term/t--34020/hash.asp
A term applied to food ingredients that are finely chopped for preparation to be served. It also refers to food such as corned beef hash or roast beef hash, which contains chopped meat, potatoes, vegetables such as peppers, onions, celery, or carrots, and various seasonings.

Hash | Define Hash at Dictionary.com
noun 1.a dish of diced or chopped meat and often vegetables, as of leftover corned beef or veal and potatoes, sautéed in a frying pan or of meat, potatoes, and carrots cooked together in gravy.

www.cooksinfo.com › ... › Savoury Dishes › Potato Dishes › Potato Dishes
Hash is an a potato dish, often served for breakfast.

The main ingredient is usually potato. The dish usually contains meat as well; rarely, a Hash will be so meaty that meat takes over as the main ingredient. There will almost certain be onion, or green onion, and perhaps other vegetables such as green pepper, etc. The simple seasoning is usually just salt and pepper. Some cooks have quite a heavy hand with the salt.

And than I got www.cannabischeri.com › Food › Marijuana Cooking Tutorials
Well we won't go there.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2017, 07:05:26 PM »
Jim'n Nick's, Bar-B-Que in Bluffton, SC on Fording Island Road has some terrific Hash to go with it's excellent Que.
I asked what was in it and was told "what do you care as long as it taste good" with a smile.

Well, my God-daughter worked there, for years, up until a couple of months ago, I'll see if I can get any further insight.  (She's actually down in Savannah, now.)

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC