Author Topic: Diabetes information  (Read 1211 times)

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
Diabetes information
« Reply #-1 on: February 15, 2017, 02:36:16 PM »
This last year has been a rough one health-wise for me, and I know for a number of you all as well.  I thought I'd share a little, as well as a video, in case it helps anyone else!

So, despite being just 35, and only about 5-10 lbs over 'normal range' weight, and no known family history of diabetes, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes this last year.  :'(  I've had ongoing endocrine, hormonal, and immune issues for quite some time, and was already taking Metformin (an oral drug that helps manage blood sugars) due to insulin resistance.   They only found out I had full blown diabetes because of all the blood work I have to do, and they happened to do a glucose tolerance test on top of everything else, which showed that I was, indeed, diabetic.   

My blood sugars aren't wildly out of control, but were consistently above the normal range despite being on 2 oral medications (Metformin and Jardiance), so my endocrinologist put me on injectable long acting insulin to help normalize them.  What started as 10 units injected each night consistently ramped up to 60 units, and I was still struggling to get my fasting blood sugars normal.  All this despite eating a relatively healthy, normal diet-- but one that included breads, pasta, etc.   

James and I started the low carb diet in late 2016 to help us both lose some weight, and through just eating low carb, my insulin needs dropped to only 8 units each night.    Well, the holidays rolled around, and we gave up on the diet, and sure enough, I quickly jumped back up to needing 60+ units of insulin each night, and still fought to keep my blood sugars in the normal range. 

We re-started our low carb diet just this Monday, and in two days, I've already dropped down to only 20 units of insulin, and my blood sugars are rock steady 80-100 range all day long.  Going to drop to 10 tonight and see how they are tomorrow morning.

A friend of mine shared this video with me, which talks about the carb/insulin connection, and I found it very encouraging.   I knew that eating a low carb diet helped me not need as much insulin, but I assumed that I would ALWAYS have diabetes, no matter what.  The idea that it's actually reversible just was never brought up anywhere-- never talked about in the diabetes classes I took, or mentioned by my endocrinologist.   This video really drove home to me the importance of this being a lifelong choice, rather than just a diet to help lose a few pounds. 

Anyway, I hope this video might encourage someone out there, and maybe help those without insulin resistance/diabetes understand a little about why low carb eating is more than just some fad for losing weight!   

We also watched a program on Netflix recently called "Food Matters" that some of you might find interesting.  Talk a lot about the food/health connection. 
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline Hub

Re: Diabetes information
« on: February 15, 2017, 02:58:48 PM »
Way to go SK  :thumbup:

It is amazing how many folks don't keep track of the body causes/effects from all kinds of things but as we get older we all have to.  You're doing great!

I've avoided Type Two Diabetes for over 20 years by controlling my weight and watching both carbs and calories.  All my tests stay on the high side of normal, but normal.  Lately I've added sodium and saturated fats/cholesterol to the list.  It is easy to find nutrition information from labels and there are plenty of good, easy to understand sources on nutrition management from AMA, ADA, AHA, etc.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline hikerman

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 03:11:15 PM »
Thank you for sharing AND caring Kat! Knowledge is power!
Good luck to you friend, and hope your efforts help you get rid of diabetes! ;)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 03:18:54 PM »
You can win this fight Kat.
And thank you for for showing trust in us to share your story.  I am willing to bet that many if most most here currently struggle or will struggle with diabetes in their life. And the more we know and share....the longer all of us can enjjoy the kinds of foods we love....in a manner that is not so detrimental to our health.
Please keep us appraised of any new discoveries and ideas you have. Reduction of simple cabs and sugars is part of my dietary upgrades that I have been working on as well.
A big community hug-
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 03:31:00 PM »
My  nephew and my sister both have diabetes I on the other hand do not  but I do plan on staying on the low-carb diet for some time to lose much weight as possible get in better health and hopefully stop having surgeries

I will be experimenting cooking on many different things to keep them is low-carb is possible and hopefully there something that I can share with you all and that they taste really good

Kat,  keep up the fight we are praying for you and your family   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 05:13:27 PM »
Katrina,

First, I applaud you for sharing this with us!  It's not an easy thing to share (I know).

Keep going on the path you have started down.  I am already seeing positive results since I started on a ketogenic (low carb) diet.  My blood sugar levels have really come way down and leveled out nicely, and I am starting to finally loose some weight!

The trick is finding healthier, lower-carb alternatives to the things that we like to eat (you know... the stuff that tastes good), and sharing our discoveries with each other.

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 05:51:03 PM »
Kat..I have been diabetic since 1992 and I completely checked my diabets for several years, no meds or anything..then heredity kicked in from both grandmas, I don't stand a chance. I have changed everything. I buy NO processed anything..I completely avoid the middle section of the grocery stores.
I went to dr, dreading it after holidays, and my A1C was only 7.1...they like it under 7, so IT CAN BE DONE..just stick with it.
And good luck, I have posted recipe about this before and how I changed them up, it's be a while tho..I know how scary it is when first diagnosed, and the reason for this is that they throw so much info at ya that you get confused..hang in there, it will work out. Best of luck..this is not a death sentence..just remember that.  Pam   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 06:05:50 PM »
We wish you the best Kat and I can tell ya, as I get older, I find myself paying for the sins (carelessness) of my younger days...........Golden Years my tahookie  >:(
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 06:12:42 PM »
Always had a high glucose lever but in my old age it has gotten worse.
Though a self imposed diet I reduced my A1C down to 6.1 and fasting glucose to 140.
This is still to high and 140 is the cut off before nerve damage accrues so I am going to reduce or eliminate carbs.

Bottom line thanks for posting the video. :)
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 06:35:40 PM »
Thanks for posting this Kat.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 07:35:01 PM »
Also apple cider vinegar especially organic will help lower A1C and glucose.
I have a tea with 2 teaspoon Bragg Organic Raw-Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar twice a day.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline stalag

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 03:56:04 AM »
I also have diabetes and am overweight.  I have also found I do better on a low carb diet and when it is heavy in vegetables, moderate in fruit, and somewhat light in meat (calorie dense), I also lose weight.  Kat, I am glad you shared what you did.  Avoid commercial sauces, gravies, salad dressings.  They taste good but add lots of calories.  You can create wonderful flavors using the original spices.  Use them to taste.
I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing.