Author Topic: Aldi's has Corn Beef point cut on sale 1.99/lb  (Read 2079 times)

Offline GG-STL

Aldi's has Corn Beef point cut on sale 1.99/lb
« Reply #-1 on: March 01, 2017, 07:19:00 PM »
Aldi's has Corn Beef Brisket point cut on sale 1.99/lb . Does anyone know of  taste or quality problems with freezing packaged corn beef for later use. They are marked Freeze/Use by May 10, 2017.

Thanks GG
GG-STL

Offline Jaxon

Re: Aldi's has Corn Beef point cut on sale 1.99/lb
« on: March 01, 2017, 09:29:02 PM »
Question...

Does this cut need to be cooked?  If so...How?

Aldi is right down the street...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 09:32:19 PM »
If it's a s good as their Appleton Farms spiral sliced hams..I'm in..their hams are great, seasonal but I can handle that.. .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 09:49:46 PM »
If it's a s good as their Appleton Farms spiral sliced hams..I'm in..their hams are great, seasonal but I can handle that.. .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

How will you cook it, Pam?
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 10:00:19 PM »
Funny - I was at Costco today and they were selling Prime brisket packers for $2.99/lb. so I bought one specifically for St.Paddy's Day corned beef (and maybe save the point for pastrami or smoking).

Don't know nothing about no Aldi's but no matter how good it might be, there's no comparison between any commercially corned beef I've ever eaten (flat or point) and making your own. It's really easy - trim & brine for a week (see Meathead's recipe at Amazing Ribs) and cook (I generally wash or soak to desalinate a bit and sous vide at 180o for 10 hours but there are many options - bake, braise in Guinness, etc. See Serious Eats among others for methods).

Déan do chuid féin. Tá sé ar fheabhas.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 10:24:30 AM by Ka Honu »
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 12:07:42 AM »
We just got an Aldi's out here and honestly was very disappointed. Never went back...

Sounds like a great price though
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline hikerman

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 09:28:19 AM »
Aldi's and Trader Joe's have the same ownership.  Originally were owned by brothers.  I think Aldi's was the largest grocery in Germany.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 11:03:22 AM »
We just got an Aldi's out here and honestly was very disappointed. Never went back...

Aldi is not a "full service" grocer. I shop there a little..but mostly out of curiosity. Small stores, and the basics. They have great prices - for what they offer. You bring your own bags or boxes and bag your own groceries. You have to pay a quarter for the use of a shopping cart - it is returned to you when you put the cart back. Pretty smart of them - because they do not have bag-boys chasing carts all over the parking lot, and it is like that your car will never gain a "beauty mark" in the parking lot due to an irresponsible person letting a cart run away from them, and just leaving it there.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2017, 11:41:38 AM »

Aldi is not a "full service" grocer. I shop there a little..but mostly out of curiosity. Small stores, and the basics. They have great prices - for what they offer. You bring your own bags or boxes and bag your own groceries. You have to pay a quarter for the use of a shopping cart - it is returned to you when you put the cart back. Pretty smart of them - because they do not have bag-boys chasing carts all over the parking lot, and it is like that your car will never gain a "beauty mark" in the parking lot due to an irresponsible person letting a cart run away from them, and just leaving it there.

I think the same can be said of TJ's in that it is a curiosity stop... maybe even more so than Aldi.  I think Aldi has better groceries but some locations are just disgusting.  TJ's are much more consistent, IMO but many of the products are novelty items and often overpriced small serving or packaged food.  Luckily, I have both near me.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pappymn

Aldi's has Corn Beef point cut on sale 1.99/lb
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2017, 11:53:42 AM »
My only knock on TJ's is the employees are too friendly. They must be required to hug each customer :)
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline hikerman

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2017, 11:58:39 AM »
My only knock on TJ's is the employees are too friendly. They must be required to hug each customer :)

Don't you just hate people being nice to you!  :D  I mean...come on, scowl at me or something!  :D  lol

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 02:58:27 PM »
I had this is the fridge for a while, but cooked it for lunch while pretending to work from home today.  I have to admit, it turned out amazing served soft and warm and knife sliced.  Normally, I would cook it until still a little firm and rest overnight for serving cold and hitting with the meat slicer.   This time I cooked it with my regular brisket seasoning of salt, pepper, turbinado and coffee.  Threw away the seasoning packet of course.  Cooked it to about 165 (250 pit temp), then foiled it until almost probe tender at about 185 degrees then let it rest for an hour in the foil.  Came out not too salty, still sliceable but almost fork tender.  Wife and boys said it was the best corned beef I have ever done.  Kind of half way between feeling like pastrami and pot cooked cabbage and corned beef minus the cabbage.  Sorry I have no pics, but between the brand and the cooking method it was about perfect.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 03:15:39 PM »

Don't you just hate people being nice to you!  :D  I mean...come on, scowl at me or something!  :D  lol

I don't like the fake friendly myself, just sayin   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron