Author Topic: Facebook S*cks ! ! !  (Read 1861 times)

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
Facebook S*cks ! ! !
« Reply #-1 on: June 28, 2017, 06:46:18 PM »
I know that many, many of you are on Facebook and love it.  When my BBQ team, The Sultans of Swine, started competing in KCBS, I decided that it might be cool to chronicle our success . . . or lack thereof ! ! !

I really wasn't looking for a personal presence on Facebook, so I (unknowingly) set up what's called a "Grey Page."  That's kind of like a commercial page that does not have an named individual page attached to it.  There were some disadvantages, like I could not look up individuals unless they likes my page.  And even then, I could not comment on their pages at all.  I learned to live with the limitations.

Eventually, though, I decided that I wanted to be able to, at least, thank those who stopped by so I started looking into fixing my problem. 

I think if you look up "customer service" in the dictionary, you find a picture of Zuckerburg with one of these

I did some searching on the web.  The best advice I could find was from this guy said he'd fix it foe me for $50.

Anyway, my last post was about two weeks ago, nothing special, just some burgers.  Since then, I have not been able to post, edit posts, delete posts, add pictures, etc. In fact, I even tried to delete the page.  Even after re-entering my password several times, I was not able to complete the task.  The only thing that I can still do, for some unknown reason, is delete pictures.  So, I've started doing that.

If any of you have any insight, I'd appreciate it.  If I can get it working right, I would probably try to start posting on it again.

(Thanks, Mike, for your efforts the other day.)

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Facebook S*cks ! ! !
« on: June 28, 2017, 08:46:26 PM »
Now you understand - in a way that I could never fully explain without folks thinking I was biased, or being curmudgeonly ( tho I am a proud and unabashed curmudgeon... :D ) exactly WHY we have not pursued Facebook as a a medium for LTBBQ. Yes - we have a page. It is minimal, and the last post O made there MONTHS ago merely pointed folks to LTBBQ.com as the place to find us and discuss things....
My reasons for Facebook avoidance go much deeper and broader than you have experienced and explained in your post. But that was a good start! ;) ;D
Best of luck in dealing with...."Big Brother"..... 8)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 09:02:15 PM »
Now you understand - in a way that I could never fully explain without folks thinking I was biased, or being curmudgeonly ( tho I am a proud and unabashed curmudgeon... :D ) exactly WHY we have not pursued Facebook as a a medium for LTBBQ. Yes - we have a page. It is minimal, and the last post O made there MONTHS ago merely pointed folks to LTBBQ.com as the place to find us and discuss things....
My reasons for Facebook avoidance go much deeper and broader than you have experienced and explained in your post. But that was a good start! ;) ;D

Thanks Dad ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Hub

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 08:10:49 AM »
Sorry you've had such rotten luck, Bill and Tim.  Wish it worked better for you.  I've never tried an "entity" page but I gather from your experience it must be a real trial.

From a personal standpoint, I love FB and spend the first hour or so of my day there most days.  I've made new friends, connected with existing friends, and found "old" friends I thought I'd never see again thanks to Facebook.  It has its quirks and aggravations but the good will and fellowship it can create when properly used (for personal stuff) makes me grin  ;D

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 08:25:17 AM »
Facebook is like a flavor of ice cream. Let's cal it Licorice.....

Many people love licorice. I just find it anathema to me ...just like Licorice... :D ). That does not make Facebook bad for others, as millions love it. Just my perception of it - and how I relate to it.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 09:28:45 AM »
Personaly, I refuse to have a facebook account.   

I don't trust facebook, twitter or anyother website where I don't know who runs it.   

This is the only web forum I'm on now and I have dropped all the others.   I've known Tee for years and he has stayed with us at the house, I trust him  ??? ??? ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Roget

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 09:43:21 AM »

I couldn't have said it any better.
I have seen too much damage done by Facebook posting to see any good in it.....

But, to each his own.
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 09:47:56 AM »

Many people love licorice. I just find it anathema to me ...just like Licorice... :D ). That does not make Facebook bad for others, as millions love it. Just my perception of it - and how I relate to it.

There ya go again Tee with those "over my head" words! I did google it and for those like me that don't understand what it means:

a·nath·e·ma:  "something or someone that one vehemently dislikes"

Like all the BIG words that I don't understand!  8) ;) ;D  Must be an A&M thing!  ::)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Pappymn

Facebook S*cks ! ! !
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 11:21:59 AM »

There ya go again Tee with those "over my head" words! I did google it and for those like me that don't understand what it means:

Like all the BIG words that I don't understand!  8) ;) ;D  Must be an A&M thing!  ::)
Tee just opened a fresh roll of his word of the day toilet paper

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 11:32:47 AM »

:D :D :D :D
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2017, 12:22:38 PM »

Go ahead and sign those papers for the second mortgage on your outhouse...to pay the LTBBQ fees....( plus interest and penalties of course ;) :D :D :D)
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 04:58:02 PM »
Personaly, I refuse to have a facebook account.   

I don't trust facebook, twitter or anyother website where I don't know who runs it.   

This is the only web forum I'm on now and I have dropped all the others.   I've known Tee for years and he has stayed with us at the house, I trust him  ??? ??? ;)

I do also Tommy . Tee had never raised my $100.00 a month dues since I joined the site ;)
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 05:36:04 PM »
Glad it's working for you, Hub.  I know a lot of folks here use it all the time as well.  One my daughters is on it at least once a day.  My two sisters live on it as well.

Like I said, I'm guessing the initial mistake was mine. I wasn't planning to post a bunch "me" stuff anyway.

But, there is no such thing as customer service.  I'm not expecting to able to talk to someone, especially someone who sounds like English ('Merican) may be his/her only language.  But maybe a chat room, place to leave specific questions where someone can do a little back-checking, anything . . . guess that's what you get when you don't have to pay.

Thanks, at least, for keeping our charges here somewhat under control, Tim ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2017, 06:53:44 PM »
Glad it's working for you, Hub.  I know a lot of folks here use it all the time as well.  One my daughters is on it at least once a day.  My two sisters live on it as well.

Like I said, I'm guessing the initial mistake was mine. I wasn't planning to post a bunch "me" stuff anyway.

But, there is no such thing as customer service.  I'm not expecting to able to talk to someone, especially someone who sounds like English ('Merican) may be his/her only language.  But maybe a chat room, place to leave specific questions where someone can do a little back-checking, anything . . . guess that's what you get when you don't have to pay.

Thanks, at least, for keeping our charges here somewhat under control, Tim ! ! !

BD

Thank Pappymn....his dues are SO high that he covers all the expenses for the rest of us. :D :D :D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 09:14:45 PM by teesquare »
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401