Author Topic: Claussen Knockoff Garlic & Dill Pickles  (Read 456 times)

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
Claussen Knockoff Garlic & Dill Pickles
« Reply #-1 on: July 05, 2017, 02:00:27 PM »

This is my latest batch of simple yet fresh crispy delicious refrigerator Claussen Knockoff Garlic & Dill pickles. I developed this recipe 4 years ago and have used it ever since.

Start by sterilizing wide mouth quart jars, lids and bands. Wash the pickling cucumbers thoroughly and set aside - DO NOT use regular store-bought salad cucumbers. They are usually coated with wax to preserver them over long shipping/storage periods which dot not bode well with the pickling process.

Brine:

This makes enough brine for 4 quart jars. No need to boil the brine. Combine in a large pitcher. Stir until salt is dissolved. Set aside.

• 6 cups of filtered water
• 2 cups Apple Cider Vinegar
• ½ cup Pickling & Canning salt - Do not use regular table or sea salt

Ingredients for each quart jar:

• 8 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced in half
• ½ tsp mustard seed
• 8 fresh dill sprigs/heads
• ½ tsp onion powder
• 1 tsp dehydrated minced/chopped onion
• ¼ tsp crushed red pepper

Instructions:

• Pack each sterilized quart jar with the ingredients listed above. Pour enough brine in each jar and shake the jar to combine the spices
• Tightly pack sliced cucumber spears in each quart jar
• Pour pickling brine over cucumber spears leaving ½ inch or head room or more
• Cover each jar with lid and band. Tighten band and turn each jar upside-down and right-side up a few times to distribute the seasonings
• Loosen each band and allow to sit on counter top for 3 days ◦Twice daily - tighten band and turn/shake each jar 4 times. Loosen bands and return to counter top
• On the 4th day, tighten the bands and refrigerate the Claussen Knockoff pickles. These Claussen Knockoff Garlic & Dill pickles will keep in the refrigerator for at least 6 months but I know they will be enjoyed way before that

I highly recommend leaving the pickles in the refrigerator for at least one week before cracking your first jar ... Enjoy!

For Planning Purposes:

One case/lug of pickling cucumbers will pack approximately 20 wide mouth quart jars. Depending on the size of the pickling cucumbers I was able to tightly pack 12 to 15 spears in each jar. I cut each cucumber into 4 spears which means I packed 3 to 4 cucumbers per jar.

Approximate amount of Ingredients:

2½ to 3 cups Pickling Salt, ½ gallon Apple Cider vinegar, 1½ gallons filtered water, 1 to 1½ lbs peeled fresh garlic, 2 oz mustard seed, 2 bundles dill sprigs, 4 oz pepper corn, 2 oz onion powder, 4 oz dehydrated onion chopped/minced, 1 oz red pepper.
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline bspitt

• GEAUX Tigers!
Re: Claussen Knockoff Garlic & Dill Pickles
« on: July 05, 2017, 02:52:48 PM »
Thank you - Will be using this soon!

BP

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida